Thread: chemical blacking query

chemical blacking query

Hi guys,

Anybody know if cast steel can be re blued? I have Theoben trigger guard which i would like to refinish, were these originally blued or painted?

Cheers

Pete

on my evolution it looks parkerized .

Parkerizing, bonderizing, phosphating, or phosphatizing is a method of protecting a steel surface from corrosion and increasing its resistance to wear through the application of a chemical phosphate conversion coating. Parkerizing is usually considered to be an improved zinc or manganese phosphating process, and not to be an improved iron phosphating process, although some use the term parkerizing as a generic term for applying phosphating (or phosphatizing) coatings that does include the iron phosphating process.
    Parkerizing is commonly used on firearms as a more effective alternative to bluing, which is an earlier-developed chemical conversion coating. It is also used extensively on automobiles to protect unfinished metal parts from corrosion.
    The Parkerizing process cannot be used on non-ferrous metals such as aluminium, brass, or copper. It similarly cannot be applied to steels containing a large amount of nickel, or on stainless steel. Passivation can be used for protecting other metals.

RichardH might be able to do it.

Thanks for your comprehensive reply Bighit. I will drop Richard a message.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by 666 View Post
    Thanks for your comprehensive reply Bighit. I will drop Richard a message.

Pete
    it might not be but mine looks like it. I took mine off and scratched it underneath but as its a textured finish I could not tell if it is or not.

I had my sirocco classic reglued by Colin molloy at MAG.. he said to send all the bits I wanted polished and blued.. I sent all the screws and pins and the trigger guard, which was rough and grey... it came back mirror polished and blued the same as all the other parts.
    Donald