Thread: Weihrauch HW97KT Bench Fail!

Weihrauch HW97KT Bench Fail!

I finally got around to trying my pellet sample pack I brought of the forum last night at Wednesbury Marksman indoor range, I tried resting the rifle on a bean bag with mixed results one minute nice groups at 25 yards the next minute they are jumping up the target a good inch! clearly a steep learning curve bench shooting a springer for my first attempt, usually shoot FT sat on a cushion with rifle hamster on my clinched fist and comfortably hit 50 yard kill zones, any thing better that a bean bag?

Resting the forend on a bench is no good mate, I do a lot of pellet testing and have trialled many different holds and rests, the best I have come up with is the following-

Put a shooting bean bag on the bench and karate chop it to create a channel, rest your arm in this channel and make a thumbs up, rest the rifle on top of your fist with the thumb locating the rifle laterally, a shooting glove also helps.

Now your right elbow is going to be floating unless you have a well designed L shaped bench, in which case you can support your right elbow (assuming your a RH shooter of course) otherwise you will have to tuck your elbow in to prevent any wobble, make sure the rifle is not touching anywhere on the bench and concentrate on consistency of your hold and follow through, to facilitate this freeze in place after the shot and check to see where the crosshairs end up after each shot, if your hold is consistent the crosshair will end up in the same place each time.

This is the only reliable method I have found to shoot a springer off the bench, basically you are isolating the rifle from the bench and putting it in a position where the recoil is absorbed by yourself in a more natural manner.

Ah, you boys have not seen the patented "Tigger Boinger Rest" yet then!

Awesome piece of high tech kit, it is.

Basically one of those stuffed door draught excluders, folded over itself and stitched up. I was just going to buy some cheap cushions from a bargain basement shop, but simply couldn't resist the tiger effect for Boinger suitability!

Most would probably use a cushion or two. And each rifle will have its own preference for positioning, so you just need to experiment a little. For example, with 95s, I find resting it right at the front of the forend works best and gives a lovely feeling of straight line recoil and no flip. And my left hand does nothing, although sometimes I use it to support the bottom of the butt and, obviously, just light contact with the trigger hand.

Get a Tigger (or similar) and just practice and get to know your rifle's manners intimately....you'll get there.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Thanks, will give it another try perhaps try 20 yards

Get a couple of cushions 2-3 depending on how thick/soft/springy they are, forget the leading hand, just rest the rifle straight on the cushions and use your spare hand to stabilise the butt end, job done...

Bluenose75,

Feather pillows also work very well as a rest medium.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenose75 View Post
    I finally got around to trying my pellet sample pack I brought of the forum last night at Wednesbury Marksman indoor range, I tried resting the rifle on a bean bag with mixed results one minute nice groups at 25 yards the next minute they are jumping up the target a good inch! clearly a steep learning curve bench shooting a springer for my first attempt, usually shoot FT sat on a cushion with rifle hamster on my clinched fist and comfortably hit 50 yard kill zones, any thing better that a bean bag?
    The thing with a bean bag/springer is that after a few shots the beans/media settle & pack tighter so there is less give in the surface which alters how the rifle reacts, something like a pillow will "rebound" each time you lift the rifle to cock it.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    The thing with a bean bag/springer is that after a few shots the beans/media settle & pack tighter so there is less give in the surface which alters how the rifle reacts, something like a pillow will "rebound" each time you lift the rifle to cock it.
    Experiment with different front rests,i have tried a variety of different makes and types.
    The PCP is not a problem of course!but the springers?
    I have got the best results from my Terrus and Gamo 440 using an MTL plastic adjustable front rest,neither springer liked the moulded rubber top,although this is not hard the fact appears to be that it imparts just a minimal amount of grip to the stock and while both rifles are almost free of any recoil movement it was sufficient to cause innaccuracy,so off came the plastic and rubber top and i fitted a piece of ply about 5"x 1.5"x 1/2" thick covered this with a peice of cork tile and on top of this a piece of carpet tile, so not soft but gives the stock a surface that it can move on,i know that this is contrary to everything that i was told, but resting the stock around 3" back from the front and supporting the underside of the butt with my non shooting hand and the lightest possible touch with the trigger hand has given excellent results, providing i remember to concentrate on my eye alignment and the keeping the crosshair on the target and not worrying about seeing the target clearly.
    Don.

Did you read/ watch this thread ? http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ight=artillery

Benchrest

I also shoot 22lr benchrest and am amazed by the effect of changing hold. Even changing from thumb down to thumb up affects poi. You have to be very consistent to group test. Each comp seems to have different rules so have experimented with different techniques. As suggested above, do not rest springers directly on hard surfaces, use hand between front support and fore end, return hand to exactly the same place, you also have to take the rifle out of your shoulder to load each time, creating another variable. Still, if it was easy, it wouldn't be fun would it?
    David