Thread: BSA Merlin Mk1 Advice and Valuation

BSA Merlin Mk1 Advice and Valuation

Hi All,

New member here, and planning on getting back into air rifles/shooting as a hobby that my 10 Year old and I can do together. This was brought about by my son talking about someone in his class going shooting and it reminded me of the fun I used to have going out plinking with my little gun so decided to look it out again. I believe by researching online that it is a Mk1 from 1962-64, but I nay be wrong.

I have owned this wee rifle for about 34 years after it being given to me when I was 14 years old. I used it for a couple of years before the stock cracked and broke and it was put away in the loft (it would appear that this is common on this rifle). It has been stored in the loft of the last 4 houses I've lived in and only seen the light of day again a couple of weeks ago after being unused for about 32 years.......Yes I am hanging my head in shame.

It was not until I started to look for a replacement/replica stock that I discovered how rare this wee rifle had become whilst not being able to source a stock for it. I have now carried out a repair of the stock and it appears to be sound and holding together when the rifle is cocked.

However, I'm now in a bit of a quandary as what to do with this wee gun, and was hoping for some guidance from some of you more learned folks.

1. Do I keep it in it's original well used present condition, replacing the main spring and seals (it still sounds healthy enough when dry fired..I've not tried any pellets through it yet) and hold on to it for my son to use and possibly break and ruin? As it's such a dinky wee rifle it would be ideal for him as although he is 10 years old, he is the size and build of an 8 year old.

2. Rub down/repaint all the metal parts and then refinish the stock, replace the spring/seal with the view to selling it or would it be better keeping it in it's original used condition with original spring and seals? Or would it be better just refinishing the stock and leaving the rest as is?

If I did decide to sell it, what would be the approximate value in original condition as it is, and values for it being tidied up with the stock refinished and also the value for it more or less being restored restored?

The proceeds of any sale would go towards getting a more modern new/second hand rifle for my son...But what would be your recommendations for a replacement, bearing in mind how slightly built he is, though I suppose he'll not be this size in a few years time.

Hopefully I have set the link up to view the pictures correctly.....I'm sure you will let me know if I haven't and look forward to any advice or guidance you have.

Cheers

Dmacg

http://s346.photobucket.com/user/dma...y/BSA%20Merlin

merlin

i can't see the break but the little rifle looks pretty good.most merlins have been neglected and bashed about,i would leave well alone and keep looking for a stock,one may turn up.definitely not a refinish for me,looks fairly tidy. atb

I would say keep it - it obviously has some happy memories for you and is an ideal size for your son to use. Also a relatively safe mechanism for a beginner.

These guns don't seem to make mega money even in vgc, from what I have observed on here, so selling it would be unlikely to make financial sense.

A modern replacement might be a HW30, although that is a break barrel as opposed to the underlever you currently have.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    You could do a lot worse than getting one of the Meteor's for your son - they are cracking little rifle's, I got my Wife one many years ago when she started shooting, that little rifle could and still can outshoot a lot of the more expensive rifles we had/have, came with a peep sight too - very accurate.
    As for the Merlin - refurbish it!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post
    You could do a lot worse than getting one of the Meteor's for your son - they are cracking little rifle's, I got my Wife one many years ago when she started shooting, that little rifle could and still can outshoot a lot of the more expensive rifles we had/have, came with a peep sight too - very accurate.
    As for the Merlin - refurbish it!

ASM
    I would agree with this....Merlins were not very well made in comparisons with Meteors and something he would soon grow out of...
    Keep it as a piece of memorabilia ....they dont make much s/h.

I'd say keep it as it's got personal attachment. Let him use the Merlin as a starter, and get a mid series Meteor for yourself with the aim (see what I did there?) of him taking that on in a year or two if he takes to shooting.
    The other option might be to refurbish it together as a project and still get a Meteor for you both to plink with. I say mid series because you say he's so young and the later ones are a bit bigger.
    Another cheap oldie that's not too big might be a Diana or original 23, maybe 25.
    I say these just from being a biased oldie collector, there are modern options of course.
    But don't part with the Merlin in my opinion.
    Steve

I've had Good deals & great info from many in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by isobar View Post
    i can't see the break but the little rifle looks pretty good.most merlins have been neglected and bashed about,i would leave well alone and keep looking for a stock,one may turn up.definitely not a refinish for me,looks fairly tidy. atb
    Hi isobar,

You can see where it split and broke from the front of the stock running up diagonally on this picture. This is why I was wondering whether I should sand it back and refinish it, but my concern would be, would any wood stain that I applied not take so well to the glued area and be more noticeable once re-lacquered? I may be as well holding out for another stock like you say but chances are that it would most likely have it's own problems with condition.

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p...pstnofvrie.jpg

Cheers

Thanks guys for your input and advice.....I think I may well go along with the consensus and just keep it.

I'm still unsure whether I should refinish it or not.....I think I know that I shouldn't mess with it, even though it has a repaired stock and the odd scratch (where a scope has been put on it at some point) it is pretty much in reasonable condition for being 50 odd years old.....maybe I'm just desperate to tinker with it.

Going along to my local gun club next week so will hold off on getting a gun for myself, use a couple of theirs first to see what suits me and whatever type of shooting I prefer, be it target, FT or HFT. Hopefully the wee boy will be able to use the Merlin on a 10m range.

Cheers