Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting CZ VZ35 Sporter with carved stock

Interesting CZ VZ35 Sporter with carved stock

Just acquired this as I have been looking for a CZ VZ35 for a while. Was looking for a military trainer but this Sporter turned up and I couldn’t resist. Have no background on the piece and I am not totally sure what to make of it. No Sporter I’ve seen has such a stock so I have to assume a custom build? It’s in amazing shape so I really doubt it’s a military rework? The detail in the carving and the quality of the walnut is quite nice. It seems period as the Oak Leaf motif seems very German and Germany at the time of this high serial number has probably taken over the country. The stock is fitted perfectly with factory precision, and seems to me it gives the impression of being a similar age? (1939?). It does have the shorter cocking bolt which improves the looks but sure doesn’t help your leverage. I have seen a few others with this bolt length. You fellows seem to be the most knowledgeable on the net, curious what your thoughts are?

https://imgur.com/a/nOXMHfO
    Last edited by 45flint; 30-01-2020 at 09:53 AM.

Lovely gun!

Very nice. I’ve been looking for one for a while. They come up occasionally in the Czech Republic and Slovakia but they go for daft money over there. Definitely a non standard custom stock. They like these designs in Germany. Very few markings on the receiver and no model number although it’s obvious by the design of the ammo/shot reservoir.

Do you mind me asking, was this sourced in the U.K. or did you purchase it from Germany (Egun) or somewhere else in Europe. I’m still looking😀
    CZ 200T/200 S Hunter/200 S Green/Slavia ZVP/612/614/615/618/620/622/624/625/627/630/631/634/ZVS Perun 734/CZ236-1/Tex3/86/Brno ZII/ZV3/ZV4/VZ47/APP661/Relum/Mars 618/Stella 518/Predom 188/170/Yunker 1/2/Lov21/Baikal IJ22/IJ38/Vostok/IZH61/IZH53M/MP512M/MP654K/MP661K

Quote Originally Posted by r1danny View Post
    Very nice. I’ve been looking for one for a while. They come up occasionally in the Czech Republic and Slovakia but they go for daft money over there. Definitely a non standard custom stock. They like these designs in Germany. Very few markings on the receiver and no model number although it’s obvious by the design of the ammo/shot reservoir.

Do you mind me asking, was this sourced in the U.K. or did you purchase it from Germany (Egun) or somewhere else in Europe. I’m still looking��
    I from the US and the gun was purchased over here. We see the occasional Military VZ35 but this is the first Sporter I have ever seen. I believe the few markings are typical of the late guns. I believe the national crest was removed after Germany took over the country? Germany severely restricted gun ownership and even outlawed the military version of the VZ35. Sporting airguns were allowed, wonder if this was the result with a bit of a German theme? Are Oak leaves a common embellishment in the old Czech Republic? It was used extensively in Germany in the 1930’s.

“ OAK LEAF – A design, commonly engraved on German and Austrian arms, consisting of oak leaves and acorns. Though most prevalent on Germanic arms, engravers of other nationalities use this style occasionally. In German, oak leaf decoration is called “Eichenlaubornament.”
    Last edited by 45flint; 30-01-2020 at 12:29 PM.

Extraordinary rifle, Steve! Normally I cringe at the usual amateur oak leaves carved into a factory stock that you see on eGun but that's a work of art done by a skilled professional carver. Museum quality!

If that's the original VZ35 finish it's better than any other I've seen. Very attractive custom stock. I wonder how it got to the US and when?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Extraordinary rifle, Steve! Normally I cringe at the usual amateur oak leaves carved into a factory stock that you see on eGun but that's a work of art done by a skilled professional carver. Museum quality!

If that's the original VZ35 finish it's better than any other I've seen. Very attractive custom stock. I wonder how it got to the US and when?
    It was on consignment at a gun shop, I’m trying to find out from the gun shop if they know anything about it’s history. We will see. This is one gun I wish could talk for sure. Yes the bluing is extremely good. Tom Gaylord who wrote a couple articles on these said the original bluing was as good as a TX200? To hold it: it just feels and looks right? Well taken care of but the stock has enough handling marks and patina to seem contemporary? After the German takeover in 1938-9 Germany was the largest customer for these rifles, but they only mention the Military version? Sure makes you wonder the origin of the carver? To me it screams German but what do I know! I’ve looked at websites of prewar German high end hunting rifles and the checkering patterns are very similar? I see nothing on Czechoslovakian carved stocks?
    Last edited by 45flint; 30-01-2020 at 02:37 PM.

Take a look at the Stella VZ36 here:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....a/stella-vz36/

They were made in Czechoslovakia (patented by CZ) and they came in a sporter stock.
    Last edited by Garvin; 30-01-2020 at 03:18 PM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Take a look at the Stella VZ36 here:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....a/stella-vz36/

I think they were made in Czech Republic and they came in a sporter stock.
    I have looked at all the pics in your gallery concerning the Vz35 and the Stella! The Stella is just never seen? Don Raitzer told me he owns one when I asked him about a Vz35 at a Airgun Show last year. But Don I think owns everything or did at one time or the other!

Here is a close contemporary with a serial number that’s pretty close. Note the same lack of Crest and other markings. It however is date stamped July 1939. Mine is a little after that but not dated? Still have to assume 1939 or close to it. Note also it has the same short cocking bolt handle. Love this detective work with newly acquired guns, great part of the hobby. Trying to find out the rest of the story?

http://www.vzduchovka.cz/prehled/19999/19999_en.html

arnie2b Guest
    That stock could have been made in Germany but also in Austria.

That is someone who's spent time and money on it which could mean that it was made for or ordered by someone noble.

How did it end up in the States? If the work was done before the war I could have a good clue as many hunting guns ended up there after it.

Talked to the gun shop and the seller is a old time collector. He actually had three CV VZ35s. This one, a military, and a early production sporter. He says he has owned them a long time. He will ask him when he comes in if he knows any history of my gun.

Given comments above I was researching Austrian custom made rifles to see if I could see any similarities in the stocks? After extensive research, I am now strongly favoring an Austrian connection? Doubt any argument will change my mind?

Last edited by 45flint; 02-02-2020 at 04:51 PM.

But I can't see a rifle in that pic?

Oh yes, on second glance I see it now.

Vintage Airguns Gallery

arnie2b Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Given comments above I was researching Austrian custom made rifles to see if I could see any similarities in the stocks? After extensive research, I am now strongly favoring an Austrian connection? Doubt any argument will change my mind?
    Without further information, your guess is as good as anyone's.

For all you know the work could also have been done in the States in the 50's by a German/Austrian gunsmith who emigrated there or by an American gunsmith who is capable of copying the German/Austrian style.

It was maybe even done in the Czech Republic itself.

It is rare but sometimes a stocker stamps his work with his initials on the inside somewhere. Not that those initials will get you somewhere.

You have to look up Ferlach, might yield more google results.

Edit:It's when you find someone who does a wide V notch on the comb that you 'might' have a match, that's the only unique identifying mark on the outside. Not seen that one before as far as I can recall.
    Last edited by arnie2b; 02-02-2020 at 07:01 PM.