Thread: BSA Mercury S

BSA Mercury S

Just came from local dealer and one of the above just came in that was cocked but won't fire.
    By sounds of things (a rattle inside stock) the trigger seems to have come apart and as such it won't fire.
    It not my place to get involved but I was just wondering if any of the BSA fans know or can take a stab at what could be wrong here? I'm guessing that the Mercury has a central latch rod inside the piston and that to release the piston the trigger will need to be reassembled or the sear released out of the stock.
    Any ideas anyone? Is this a common problem and easy to solve or is it a nasty owner to resolve?
    Only asking if I can give the shop owner a head start on matters?
    Cheers
    Dave

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Take the action out of the stock and you can see the trigger mechanism pretty easily, it shouldn't be too hard to trip the top sear that holds the piston rod back, I've not really heard of the triggers falling apart but I know the pins that hold all the mechanism together can come out if the action isn't put back in the stock carefully but the stock normally holds them in once put back in, there is a small conical spring that goes behind the piston sear, that may need looking at.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Take the action out of the stock and you can see the trigger mechanism pretty easily, it shouldn't be too hard to trip the top sear that holds the piston rod back, I've not really heard of the triggers falling apart but I know the pins that hold all the mechanism together can come out if the action isn't put back in the stock carefully but the stock normally holds them in once put back in, there is a small conical spring that goes behind the piston sear, that may need looking at.

Pete
    Thanks Pete. That advice may save the gun getting sent off for repair rather than done in-house.
    I'll pass on the information fella.
    Dave

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Good luck with the Merc S !
    One of the classic BSA air rifles I’ve never owned but really should.
    One day maybe ?
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Good luck with the Merc S !
    One of the classic BSA air rifles I’ve never owned but really should.
    One day maybe ?
    I once stumbled upon a Mercury S action one day when out on calls in work. It's missing it's cocking lever, front stock bracket and worst of all it's stock. But I have to say that not being a BSA fan I had to admit the action was sturdy and bluing was lustrous. You could tell a high polish had been given to the metalwork before the bluing process. I was impressed.
    Just gutted the other bits were missing. As this was one BSA (also my Scorpion pistol) I didn't mind owning!
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    I once stumbled upon a Mercury S action one day when out on calls in work. It's missing it's cocking lever, front stock bracket and worst of all it's stock. But I have to say that not being a BSA fan I had to admit the action was sturdy and bluing was lustrous. You could tell a high polish had been given to the metalwork before the bluing process. I was impressed.
    Just gutted the other bits were missing. As this was one BSA (also my Scorpion pistol) I didn't mind owning!
    Dave
    They do have a nice finish on the S's, the walnut stocks can be a bit bland sometimes (same goes for the Airsporter S's) but sometimes you get one with a half decent grain pattern, very occasionally a very nice one.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Doesn't sound like a very competent gunshop owner if he can't figure out how the trigger mechanism works. A minute's looking and a bit of thought should have it sussed.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    Doesn't sound like a very competent gunshop owner if he can't figure out how the trigger mechanism works. A minute's looking and a bit of thought should have it sussed.
    Like you say, it's not the hardest mechanism to work out and the trigger block is open so you can see all the sears etc.

At the end of the day not everyone is mechanically minded, so may not be able to work out what goes on.

Pete

It might also be the case that the action itself isn't cocked, but that there's a problem with the cocking link? The "ears" broken off or something? As said, having a quick look with the stock removed would reveal plenty.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Mercury S

Thanks for the input folks.

As has been hinted above not every gun shop owner is a gunsmith. Some are shop owners only. No law says they need to be a gunsmith. As it happens the chap has an engineering background and I doubt he'll break a sweat sorting the problem.
    Shop was busy when gun brought in and no chance to open gun up, and certainly not in a busy shop.
    I was just hoping to give him a head start on matters by asking here amongst those who likely know precisely how the trigger is set up.
    Thanks again.
    Dave