Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Repro pellet boxes and tins

The use of replicas

Well,mostly I decorate my book shelves with them.As time goes by they fade.So,best I just use replicas!I'd love a flat print taken from a Crosman .21 pellet drum....and a Paul Shotgun box,;-) I don't shell out much for old cardboard boxes.
    Some of them, like the Warrior one, make great wall decorations! I see there are Daisy and Crosman clocks but the Webley one is simply the best.

False pellet tins

When I made my 3 barrel Webley Service box, the only things original Webley are the rifle and 1 barrel.
    But this is very obvious something entirely different compared to a original boxed Service!
    To complete it I made 3 tiny pellet tins in al 3 calibers, yes even a .25 pellet tin.
    Would that confuse a future collector?

=======================
    Frank

Nice job Frank...

Quote Originally Posted by frakor View Post
    When I made my 3 barrel Webley Service box, the only things original Webley are the rifle and 1 barrel.
    But this is very obvious something entirely different compared to a original boxed Service!
    To complete it I made 3 tiny pellet tins in al 3 calibers, yes even a .25 pellet tin.

=======================
    Frank
    I like the Webley labels on the modern screw top pellet tins, but I don't think you need to worry about the .25 tin as Webley never made one at that time, which one would hope a Webley collector would know.
    They sit nicely in the purpose made plinth in the Service case.

Quote Originally Posted by frakor View Post

=======================
    Frank
    It'd make a present-day one jealous!

ATB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    I like the Webley labels on the modern screw top pellet tins, but I don't think you need to worry about the .25 tin as Webley never made one at that time, which one would hope a Webley collector would know.
    They sit nicely in the purpose made plinth in the Service case.
    Yes, I know, the .25 was the hardest one to make.

====================
    Frank

Reading through this thread once more, I posted a photograph of the two types of the sixth edition Morton booklet for the Service Mk.11 rifle, but since then my sig site has disappeared and the photo is no longer available from the link posted; fortunately I still have most of the photographs on file, so here is the relevant photo once more. All the replicas have the same cover pattern.

Here's the replica Webley clock, as that photo too disappeared when my sig site went:

Reading through this thread once more, I posted a photograph of the two types of the sixth edition Morton booklet for the Service Mk.11 rifle, but since then my sig site has disappeared and the photo is no longer available from the link posted; fortunately I still have most of the photographs on file, so here is the relevant photo once more. All the replicas have the same cover pattern.
    Hopefully in due course I'll post all the pics from David's former sig site here:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....shooters-pics/

I've posted quite a few already.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

pjbingham is offline My mother was flexible,but couldn't do Thursdays
    Interesting thread,it quietly concerns me in some ways about some of the replacement pistol grips I’ve cast. I try to make them as realistic externally but make no attempt to hide what they are internally but who removes grips when viewing an air pistol with view to purchasing? I made a select few pairs of grips for the Warrior and Acvoke pistols as it seemed there were perfectly good usable examples out there that were tucked away unused for no other reason than missing or damaged grips and I feel happy that I played a small part to help resurrect them but on the other hand I wouldn’t want a future buyer to be disappointed with their purchase when they find replica grips. As there were only a few made I know where they all went and I know no one would attempt to pass them off but I’m thinking in years to come when they have changed hands a few times and the information has been lost in the mists of time.

Quote Originally Posted by pjbingham View Post
    Interesting thread,it quietly concerns me in some ways about some of the replacement pistol grips I’ve cast. I try to make them as realistic externally but make no attempt to hide what they are internally but who removes grips when viewing an air pistol with view to purchasing? I made a select few pairs of grips for the Warrior and Acvoke pistols as it seemed there were perfectly good usable examples out there that were tucked away unused for no other reason than missing or damaged grips and I feel happy that I played a small part to help resurrect them but on the other hand I wouldn’t want a future buyer to be disappointed with their purchase when they find replica grips. As there were only a few made I know where they all went and I know no one would attempt to pass them off but I’m thinking in years to come when they have changed hands a few times and the information has been lost in the mists of time.

Making aftermarket spares in the spirit of the original is OK in my book. How many cars, motorcycles from the 1930s or even later are completely original?

I believe the blatent forging of accessories is a different matter. I believe that all the items produced by troubleshooter have slight identifying details built in which he has been kind enough to share with us in the past. Some other producers are not as forthcoming

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    Making aftermarket spares in the spirit of the original is OK in my book. How many cars, motorcycles from the 1930s or even later are completely original?

I believe the blatent forging of accessories is a different matter. I believe that all the items produced by troubleshooter have slight identifying details built in which he has been kind enough to share with us in the past. Some other producers are not as forthcoming
    Yes, the replica Webley air pistol boxes seen at fairs spring to mind. Age them a bit over time and future owners may have a job to tell an original from a fake.

John

As pretty a Service as one will ever see!

Verrry nice one. I think those two Morton books would fool me. I check the paper,the staples ...the price..Loved the Giffard catalogue!;-)

Quote Originally Posted by cinedux View Post
    Verrry nice one. I think those two Morton books would fool me. I check the paper,the staples ...the price..Loved the Giffard catalogue!;-)
    The giveaway is the distinctive cover pattern on the replica which is the same on all copies, whereas the pattern on each original is different, although there is an original in existence from which the repro cover pattern was copied.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    The giveaway is the distinctive cover pattern on the replica which is the same on all copies, whereas the pattern on each original is different, although there is an original in existence from which the repro cover pattern was copied.
    The thing is if you are new to the collecting world, you wouldn't know the difference. l think that any repro boxes booklets ect. should have this is a reproduction printed on them just like cigarette cards do. so there is no confusion. just my take on it.