Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Repro pellet boxes and tins

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    Making aftermarket spares in the spirit of the original is OK in my book. How many cars, motorcycles from the 1930s or even later are completely original?
    I’ve often thought it’s odd how different collecting fields see restoration and condition differently

Reblue an old air gun and you drop its value substantially (unless it was totally knackered I guess). Do the equivalent to an old car and they call it concours condition!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    I’ve often thought it’s odd how different collecting fields see restoration and condition differently

Reblue an old air gun and you drop its value substantially (unless it was totally knackered I guess). Do the equivalent to an old car and they call it concours condition!
    Very true!

I suppose there are no 'as new' Austin 7s in existence outside of Beaulieu, so concours is as close as anyone can get!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    The thing is if you are new to the collecting world, you wouldn't know the difference. l think that any repro boxes booklets ect. should have this is a reproduction printed on them just like cigarette cards do. so there is no confusion. just my take on it.
    Agreed Mick.

Kind regards,

John

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    I replicate old Webley and BSA targets, purely for my own use, and to provide a bit of "dressing" to go in the maker's boxes.
    I've found that you can only really appreciate what level of accuracy the manufacturers were trying to acheive if you shoot their guns at the targets they supplied as accessories.
    Shooting Webley Pistols at their No1 6 yard pistol target, at 6 yards, is "too easy", but go up a step in distance to 10m on ISU 10m targets, and it's a whole new ball game with a Webley pistol. It's doable, but lapses in technique are instantly punished.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.