Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
Whilst the shot count is impressive the set velocity is also quite low...at 100 m/s it probably won't punch clean holes at 10m.
I've never had a .177 co2 Crosman so I can't compare it to anything I've owed - but by way of comparison my Tau-7 is .177 and 12g co2 powered and at about 120 m/s it'll do just under 90 shots on a single cartridge.
I normally run it at about 150 m/s and it'll do around 70 shots to a cartridge.
It'll be interesting to see what it does when you wick it back up to the 5 ft/lb mark as the gun was doing previously as at the moment it's difficult to gauge the improvement in efficiency.
Keep up the good work....this is interesting stuff
I'll probably split the difference and add perhaps another ft/lb or so. I haven't loctited the nut yet so I can go in there quite easily and add a bit more preload.

One thing I noticed on the GTA forum (where this subject took off last year) was that people were measuring efficiency by adding the total ft/lb generated per cartridge, So if you got ten shots at 10 ft/lb you'd be getting 100 ft/lb from each capsule. Not a bad way to look at it if you think about it.
So in terms of this particular pistol, if it was getting 35-40 shots at 5 ft/lb, that would be 175 to 200 ft/lb.
Now it is getting (lowball estimate on both parts) 180 shots at 2ft/lb, that is 350 ft/lb total. So there is a clear increase in efficiency, not just the total shot count.

I have a suspicion that somewhere in between these two extremes I can find a nice compromise between shot count and power that may well breach the 400 ft/lb barrier. If I can run it at 3 to 3.5 ft/lb and still get 100+ shots I will be chuffed as nuts.