Thread: RS powders, anybody?

RS powders, anybody?

In the absence of my usual Reloader 17, my local dealer showed me some powder I'd never seen before, namely Reloader Swiss brand.

One spec, RS60, is suitable for three of the rifle cartridges for which I reload - 6.5x55SE [in an older gun], 7x57 Mauser [in an older gun], and 7.5x55 Swiss.

RS60 appears to have as near identical spec to RL17 as makes almost no odds.

Any experience here with this new stuff?

TIA

tac

I have read that it is made in the same factory as Alliant.

There is load data on their website

https://www.reload-swiss.com/en/reload_swiss/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    In the absence of my usual Reloader 17, my local dealer showed me some powder I'd never seen before, namely Reloader Swiss brand.

One spec, RS60, is suitable for three of the rifle cartridges for which I reload - 6.5x55SE [in an older gun], 7x57 Mauser [in an older gun], and 7.5x55 Swiss.

RS60 appears to have as near identical spec to RL17 as makes almost no odds.

Any experience here with this new stuff?

TIA

tac
    when it was imported as Elcho17 I was told by the importer it was RL17 identical,the same etc,etc etc
    I use it in 7.5x55 for 600 yds for 1000 I use GP11 because I can't be assed to work up a load that equals it, at 600 I aim dead on as the load I use is slower than GP11 although since I fitted a W+F K diopter I aim dead on at every thing
    PS its been around for some years and in its Elcho17 branding it was £55/Kg (I only added that because I know how much you will enjoy hearing it )
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Price I see now is £74/kg

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    when it was imported as Elcho17 I was told by the importer it was RL17 identical,the same etc,etc etc
    I use it in 7.5x55 for 600 yds for 1000 I use GP11 because I can't be assed to work up a load that equals it, at 600 I aim dead on as the load I use is slower than GP11 although since I fitted a W+F K diopter I aim dead on at every thing
    PS its been around for some years and in its Elcho17 branding it was £55/Kg (I only added that because I know how much you will enjoy hearing it )
    Do tell where you are getting your GP11 from? I spoke to the RUAG rep at the Shooting show about getting hold of some of the new surplus GP11 made last year - about 20,000,000 rounds of it, as mentioned in the Swiss shooting journal.

a. He knew nothing about that, in spite of the fact that it is made by RUAG-Ammotech in Switzerland, but promised me that he'd look into it.

b. A couple of weeks later, a lady press officer wrote me, advising me that RUAG-Ammotech did not make any such ammunition.

Sigh...

tac

PS - I'd be obliged if you'd PM me with details of your home-loads. TIA

I use to use the tr140 to great effect with the 308
    Since its rebranded as rs I have not use it but it's the same powder but price as gone up.
    They was a gun shop in oldham that advertised it wrongly as I phoned him up and told him is data was wrong so do check first.
    Echo 17 is reloder 17

I have been using RS60 in my 260 for about a year now. I find it a clean powder, meters well and provides good velocities.
    RS60 is a high energy powder and therefore burns hot. I understand it is the same as RL17 and QuickLOAD shows them as being identical.
    To destroy a people, you must first sever their roots. Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Thanks, Gentlemen.

tac

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    RS52 is an excellent powder giving higher velocities with lower pressures. Going on what my Exe F class lot tell me it is very stable temp wise as well.

The powder is steeped in nitro rather than the normal mixing methods which apparently makes it more consistent and easy to control (in terms of process).

I have been using RS52 for a while in my 5.56x45 ammo and it shoots well. It also meters rather better than N140 which is nice for extruded powder.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Quote Originally Posted by Rickee View Post
    I have been using RS60 in my 260 for about a year now. I find it a clean powder, meters well and provides good velocities.
    RS60 is a high energy powder and therefore burns hot. I understand it is the same as RL17 and QuickLOAD shows them as being identical.
    bumping an old thread....rs60 is superb powder.
    just checked quickload and they is a slight difference between rl17 and rs60......it is on mine

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    bumping an old thread....rs60 is superb powder.
    just checked quickload and they is a slight difference between rl17 and rs60......it is on mine
    RS60 is my powder of choice, however I'm sure Laurie Holland has said not to trust QL with RS powders
    Do nothing, achieve nothing

Quote Originally Posted by pbranthwaite View Post
    RS60 is my powder of choice, however I'm sure Laurie Holland has said not to trust QL with RS powders
    i always go on the manufacturers website first and compare their data etc....currently using 52gns for a 168smk in a 30-06....max is 54.5 gns

Quote Originally Posted by pbranthwaite View Post
    He has and going on some results I’ve had compared to published data (for RL17) he’s right, this is also based on the fact that it is the same powder, which used to be called elcho 17 I believe
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    i always go on the manufacturers website first and compare their data etc....currently using 52gns for a 168smk in a 30-06....max is 54.5 gns
    They may have done some testing now but if you emailed them they used to just send out QL data!
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by 223AI View Post
    They may have done some testing now but if you emailed them they used to just send out QL data!
    got the data for tr140 from shooting shed years ago but quickload as the rs powders on now