Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tau 8 ?????

Tau 8 ?????

A'noon all.

I'm considering " upgrading" from my FWB 65 to a pcp and tentatively been offered one of the above. ( afraid budget won't stretch to Steyr territory...)

Having had a little Google session there seem to be very few available 2nd hand which to my mind means one of two things

Nobody likes them so didn't buy one new

Or

Everybody likes theirs and wants to keep it.

My question is which is the more likely and what are your thoughts if you have one please?

Tia

Cliff
    All help, advice and wrist slaps gratefully received.
    Most sales open to swaps for older BSA’s, projects and or incomplete/bits. Currently quietly developing a hankering for a nice S10 BBK………..

Hi

The Tau 8 is very capable of shooting 10's all day long if the shooter is up to the same, OK they ain't as refined as a Morini or Steyr but they're not £1200 - £1400 either, Sure Shot airguns are the main distributor and Matt who runs the place is about as helpful as anyone you'll ever meet, they have typical CZ build in that they are over engineered and will go on forever and a day, I know shooters that have both the Tau 300 rifle and Tau 8 pistol and have had no issues whatsoever, I used to have a Tau 7 that had been though many hands over many years and had shot God knows how many pellets, Eventually the cocking mechanism wore, I purchased though Sure Shot new trigger pars and cocking parts, I think the total cost was £26 posted to my door, I'd have spent a hell of a lot more to get the same for my other pistols, as long as it feels comfortable there is no reason I can think of not to buy one

Forgot to mention, if set up properly the triggers are very good indeed
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

I can't offer any advice on a Tau 8 as I have never seen or tried one.

However, why a pcp ? Have you given any thought to a quality ssp - say a FWB 100 or Walther LP-1 ? They both are multi adjustable and will group as well as any pcp in average to very good hands.

There are two advantages to a quality ssp:
    No gear to carry around or have tested and they will retain there value if you look after them

Very true indeed Mark,

It's not the propellant method or the mechanism that gets em in the 10, it's the nut behind the trigger

I recently shot one of my best scores to date with my Baikal MP46m which has all the refinement of a combine harvester
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Cheers guys.

Tbh I haven't considered a higher end ssp so will certainly look into it but seeing as I already have 2 pcp's the filling side of things is already taken care of.

A couple of guys at my shooting club have Steyr pistols which I've tried and loved and also I guess it's just my mindset . Pcp being the usual progression from springer........

Nice to know the Tau doesn't seem to have any pitfalls but not going to jump into anything too quick, will be looking up ssp's and see if I can get to try one........

Any ideas what kinda price I should be paying for a used Tau 8 and the suggested fwb and walthers?

Cheers
    Most sales open to swaps for older BSA’s, projects and or incomplete/bits. Currently quietly developing a hankering for a nice S10 BBK………..

I found springers too lively and pcp's too dead to shoot. Settled on a Fas604 and love it Cheapish, fits great, spares are cheap and way more accurate than me

I dó have one its part of my Tau collection.
    They're very well made. Trigger feals very clinical almost like an E trigger
    It has surprisingly little recoil. Very nice light to cock. 300 bar system. Finish not as good as Steyr etc but good. Cilinders tend to slowly empty themselves. Especially when left screwed onto the gun. But all czech pcps do that so it seems, my aeron had it to.
    So the design in itself is very good.
    I have the full length and its a bit (front)heavy for me. Allthough I do not have issues with normal length LP10, Morini, Tau 7 etc so I guess its just built like that.
    I also had to shim the front sight cause I couldnt get it adjusted anywhere near the bull.
    Had to readjust trigger from new cause it wouldnt always cock.
    Its also ónly accurate with chinese pellets. Normal match brands dont group
    When firing, I feel quite a strong blow of air near my shooting hand. Havent tested where it comes from. Can be muzzle brake too.(it has very large slots)
    Some parts arent readily availabe. I couldnt buy an M grip. Those were out of stock. It was either S or L.

So it might very well be that it dóes have some design flaws. It may also very well be that it has a leaky seal here or there from new causing that weird blow of air and weird pellet preference (had similar issues with my new mk300. Sent it in for update and they found some damaged seals. After replacement, grouping improved greatly). So I'd ónly buy it if yr a bit handy yrself. I díd forward all above feedback directly to Tau as well so I hope they've done something with it.

You can also look at the Aeron Spider if yr looking for non-standard and non-steyr priced pistols. But you can expect similar 'fun' as with Tau (mine has been back to Aeron twice for quarantee repair of regulator).
    Last edited by hwtyger; 05-04-2017 at 06:45 AM.
    ATB,
    yana

........or you could just try to find a good used Steyr LP10 or LP1 as they may well be a better long term buy with good UK spares and service available if or when you need them.

Other good well engineered PCP match pistols come up for sale at reasonable prices too such as the SAM that was on the BBS sales recently - excellent quality at a very reasonable price!
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Or the best value for money/for quality the Steyr LP2, if you have shot a quality pistol you will be dissapointed with estern bloc.
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Cheers guys. Not gonna jump into anything yet, will see if I can handle/try a selection and go from there.

You should be able to buy a second hand Top level pistol for £450 ish. I have got a LP1 and LP300 for about this price. I would personally buy them over a Tau pistol. Another member of my club had a lot of problems with his Tau 7 and is huffing and puffing knocked 10-20 off my scores as I couldn't concentrate.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    ........or you could just try to find a good used Steyr LP10 or LP1 as they may well be a better long term buy with good UK spares and service available if or when you need them.

Other good well engineered PCP match pistols come up for sale at reasonable prices too such as the SAM that was on the BBS sales recently - excellent quality at a very reasonable price!
    I was lucky enough to purchase the Sam K11, a lot of gun for the money and I certainly won't need to upgrade for a very long time. I would definitely advise going for a high end used pistol, the old adage of 'buy cheap, buy twice' certainly applies here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjacobs571 View Post
    You should be able to buy a second hand Top level pistol for £450 ish. I have got a LP1 and LP300 for about this price. I would personally buy them over a Tau pistol. Another member of my club had a lot of problems with his Tau 7 and is huffing and puffing knocked 10-20 off my scores as I couldn't concentrate.
    That has nothing to do with the Tau 7 in general. Those are VERY reliable and troublefree. On the market for decades
    ATB,
    yana

Hello to All,

Touch wood, my Tau-7 has been totally reliable, and is a most enjoyable pistol to shoot.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by Riggs View Post
    I was lucky enough to purchase the Sam K11, a lot of gun for the money and I certainly won't need to upgrade for a very long time. I would definitely advise going for a high end used pistol, the old adage of 'buy cheap, buy twice' certainly applies here.
    Well done! I am sure you will be pleased with your K11.

I had a K11 in gunmetal/blue some time ago but could only had one matching blue coloured cylinder, but I managed to find an Anschultz branded one with a manometer on the end (Anschultz were marketing a rebranded version of the SAM for a short period of time) and when I sold the pistol this spare cylinder went with it.

Good memories of an excellent match pistol that had plenty of character.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.