Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Q?: Why so many PCP's for sale second hand?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Q?: Why so many PCP's for sale second hand?

hi all.

I have saved up for a new setup. I've shopped around, looked at the second hand market and thought carefully...

I have noticed that there are soooooo many more pcps for sale on the 2nd hand market than springers. Why is this? Is it due to higher PCP sales? Maybe its due to PCP owners missing the "thump" from a springer?

There is a definite trend...

As i got older i have started reverting back to springers. I only have 4 pcp's now the rest are springers. I just missed the recoil. Pcp air rifles are a good tool but they have no soul.

That's because they realise the only airguns they need ...

Is a rapid

Personally I prefer the simplicity of spring rifles- grab gun and tin of pellets and you can play all day at the range and not worry about running out of air and carrying a heavy dive bottle about, last pcp I had was a compatto and had nothing trouble with it, and at the club I hear more people moan about problems with PCP's than springers.
    I can see the appeal of pcp for hunting and pest control but they are boring for targets and plinking.

I have 11 rifles 4 of which are precharge, I mainly use the precharges in testing, even my comp rifles are springers, I just prefer the challenge of shooting a rifle that needs you to join all the dots to succeed.

The precharges are first choice if I'm shooting prone mind you, cocking a springer lying down is akin to gymnastics

they may be selling them to buy the new meccano look a likes from abroad

Quote Originally Posted by bucketboy View Post

Is a rapid
    You spelt Daystate wrong
    Good deals with:
    Dunn220, Leon, Bullcelt, stink£r, u.k.neil, supersharpshoot, william and airgun god, GEORGEY, telgun, Simon P and stubbs4612, Wellhouse0, harpo

Quote Originally Posted by bucketboy View Post

Is a rapid
    You don't see many Rapids for sale because most have been used as fence posts by now b
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

I tend to think the pcp market has expanded in the past 3 or 4 years with many new models and brands coming to the market. You only have to look at the magazines to note that the number of manufacturers selling in the UK has increased alongside different styles of rifle ... bullpups for instance together with a plethora of 'special editions' from a few manufacturers / retailers. I guess this has resulted in a desire for newcomers to the pcp market to 'move up market' or strive for better results with a different model of pcp. Hence more s/h rifles come onto the market.
    Springers are not being forgotten though ... if you look at the sales listing published in Airgun Shooter then springers from all parts of the price spectrum are still selling well.
    Cheers, Phil

I know where this thread is heading. But this is my answer to the question

Q?: Why so many PCP's for sale second hand?

There is so much on them that fails on a regular basis. The amount of swearing from the Old generation at my club that have them is frequent, oh sugar I have lost all my air, oh dear this seal has blown etc etc.
    They are very expensive to buy a really good new one, then there is the air tank and the hoses and fittings and regulators and then it costs at least a Lady Godiva to fill the damn thing with air, so then there is the hassle of finding a place that fills them.
    So you get to the range absolutely cream crackered from carrying all that gear, you set it up, praying that it is going to work, and then after a phew pffffts later you then realise how boring they are to shoot. There is not a huge amount of skill required too use one and you can't miss. Where is the fun in this.
    So people go to there local gun shop and trade in their PCP rifle, buy a quality springer rifle, even the most expensive is still a lot cheaper than a decent PCP, thats all that you need no extras like tanks etc. You get to the range not having to worry if the rifle is going to work, it's a springer of course it will work. You then have the satisfaction of knowing that when you shoot certain targets, it was due to your efforts of shooting a gun with recoil, a bit like a real gun really, using your skill and not having to rely on the equipment to take all the fun out of shooting.
    That's why there are so many PCP's for sale.
    I am now hiding behind the settee awaiting the fallout from the PCP fanboys
    Last edited by StellaArtois Sr; 04-04-2017 at 05:37 PM.
    Shooting Air Rifles is like being a pubic hair on a toilet seat.
    Eventually someone comes a long and P's you off.
    They usually have a PCP

A possibility is that new shooters get sucked into the "get a pcp so I can hit everything" mindset ... so they hit everything and get bored. Then there is all the bottles, gauges, hoses etc... that's a lot of faff if you're not 100% into shooting.

More seasoned shooters might like the latest kit, which would tend to be pcps these days. Something shiny etc... then they realise its not as shiny as the 10year old Air Arms they've been using!

I freely admit not to being a fan of them. I like recoil. I like the fact that shooting a springer is a challenge and ultimately a skill. I also like I can go for a shoot with a full tin of pellets and come home having used most of them without thinking about sweet spots, air bottles etc.... Of course they have a place as an option, especially hunting given their multishot magazine capability, but they arent for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zomboid View Post
    ... so they hit everything and get bored.
    In all my years of being involved in shooting, I have never met anyone who could hit everything, let alone do it so frequently as to become bored.

Just an observation.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

Salamander is offline The bbs' most interfered with member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    In all my years of being involved in shooting, I have never met anyone who could hit everything, let alone do it so frequently as to become bored.

Just an observation.
    This ^.

If everyone who likes springers is so in love with recoil, why not buy a centre-fire? Or even a shotgun?
    That mod from Yns Mon's been interfering with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    This ^.

If everyone who likes springers is so in love with recoil, why not buy a centre-fire? Or even a shotgun?
    Well, the thing about that is, firearms and shotguns recoil (notable by the tendency for a loose sight to fall off the front of the gun). While your springer acts in the opposite direction (scope wants to creep backwards, and will do, if it's not tightened up enough).

Proof enough that the springer (and it's ugly cousin the rammer) have the opposite of recoil.

As there isn't a word for the opposite of 'recoil', I think I'll go with 'rebound'.

Therefore there's (presumably) more recoil in a pneumatic action.

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    This ^.

I have owned centre fire and shot gun.
    The attraction of a springer to me is, I must keep the technique right but I can shoot at a can in my garden if I wish. Couldn't do that with .303

Pete
    Pete