Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Q?: Why so many PCP's for sale second hand?

Q?: Why so many PCP's for sale second hand?

hi all.

I have saved up for a new setup. I've shopped around, looked at the second hand market and thought carefully...

I have noticed that there are soooooo many more pcps for sale on the 2nd hand market than springers. Why is this? Is it due to higher PCP sales? Maybe its due to PCP owners missing the "thump" from a springer?

There is a definite trend...

As i got older i have started reverting back to springers. I only have 4 pcp's now the rest are springers. I just missed the recoil. Pcp air rifles are a good tool but they have no soul.

That's because they realise the only airguns they need ...

Is a rapid

A possibility is that new shooters get sucked into the "get a pcp so I can hit everything" mindset ... so they hit everything and get bored. Then there is all the bottles, gauges, hoses etc... that's a lot of faff if you're not 100% into shooting.

More seasoned shooters might like the latest kit, which would tend to be pcps these days. Something shiny etc... then they realise its not as shiny as the 10year old Air Arms they've been using!

I freely admit not to being a fan of them. I like recoil. I like the fact that shooting a springer is a challenge and ultimately a skill. I also like I can go for a shoot with a full tin of pellets and come home having used most of them without thinking about sweet spots, air bottles etc.... Of course they have a place as an option, especially hunting given their multishot magazine capability, but they arent for me.

Personally I prefer the simplicity of spring rifles- grab gun and tin of pellets and you can play all day at the range and not worry about running out of air and carrying a heavy dive bottle about, last pcp I had was a compatto and had nothing trouble with it, and at the club I hear more people moan about problems with PCP's than springers.
    I can see the appeal of pcp for hunting and pest control but they are boring for targets and plinking.

I have 11 rifles 4 of which are precharge, I mainly use the precharges in testing, even my comp rifles are springers, I just prefer the challenge of shooting a rifle that needs you to join all the dots to succeed.

The precharges are first choice if I'm shooting prone mind you, cocking a springer lying down is akin to gymnastics

they may be selling them to buy the new meccano look a likes from abroad

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    they may be selling them to buy the new meccano look a likes from abroad
    Probably closer to the truth than you'd think! I found with PCP's there was always something that seemed better on paper: Shot count/Reg/Weight/Looks etc. The truth is they are all very similar so I spent many thousands of pounds trying them all. As soon as I recognised the issue I bought the best PCP for my circumstances and thats all I need. I can now concentrate all my effort of springers
    God rest ye jelly mental men

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    PCP's are almost a surgical tool - there are no excuses for the pellet not going where it's supposed to go other than your own inane lack of ability.

A springer is a great leveller - few can shoot one very well and there is comfort in being equally useless.

But it'll be cyclical thing and as soon as everyone starts shooting springers in numbers, the school of one-upmanship will open its doors for the re-adopters to feel superior until the cycle then repeats.

So you need both and you turn up with the opposite of what everyone else does

PeteB is offline Personally, I don't trust any bloke that makes me feel stiff in the morning
    Calne, Wiltshire. (not far enough from Calais)
    They are expensive bits of kit, when times are or people get bored, they are sold on.

I bought my HW in 2001, since then, bought and sold a few PCPs as well as rimmy and fullbore, but never let the springer go
    I plink, therefore I am.

PCP's are nice, but here is my take.

They lack a hand crafted feel. PCP's cost quite a bit for basically a plywood stock and robot milled components. They are unbelievably accurate, I just don't appreciate the engineering and the fact that you can spend 1500 pounds and immediately upgrade the regulator or other various components. At that price, nothing should ever have to be changed out.

I love old match 10m guns, they never run out of air and you don't need any bottles, hoses, and gauges that all have a shelf life. There is no way they could make them today for the price you can buy them at. You can still find spring guns that are over 100 years old that still shoot. I doubt modern PCP's will survive that long.
    If you are already aiming for the exact center of everything, then the target’s size shouldn’t matter — the center of a beach ball is just as big as the center of an aspirin tablet. -Byron Ferguson

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Probably closer to the truth than you'd think! I found with PCP's there was always something that seemed better on paper: Shot count/Reg/Weight/Looks etc. The truth is they are all very similar so I spent many thousands of pounds trying them all. As soon as I recognised the issue I bought the best PCP for my circumstances and thats all I need. I can now concentrate all my effort of springers
    Kinda saying that a hatsan at44 is as good as a hunting 5 if it covers all of your tick boxes....
    I agree, the only reason for owning more than one is caliber. Once fit, shot count, suitability and looks as requirements are met there isn't any difference in them really. Springers however go alot further, you actually have to learn to shoot them. Now i have a PCP's in 2 flavours i need not buy one ever again.
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

A decent springer is a joy forever... I like this thread.....

Quote Originally Posted by bucketboy View Post
    That's because they realise the only airguns they need ...

Is a rapid
    You spelt Daystate wrong
    Good deals with:
    Dunn220, Leon, Bullcelt, stink£r, u.k.neil, supersharpshoot, william and airgun god, GEORGEY, telgun, Simon P and stubbs4612, Wellhouse0, harpo

ppppplink...

Quote Originally Posted by phils_wicked View Post
    hi all.

I have saved up for a new setup. I've shopped around, looked at the second hand market and thought carefully...

I have noticed that there are soooooo many more pcps for sale on the 2nd hand market than springers. Why is this? Is it due to higher PCP sales? Maybe its due to PCP owners missing the "thump" from a springer?

There is a definite trend...
    Plink....Whoops, sorry - I think I just went off there... embarassing. Don't worry - I'll try and pump it up again...
    El-bow, the Spanish Archer