Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Q?: Why so many PCP's for sale second hand?

Quote Originally Posted by bucketboy View Post
    That's because they realise the only airguns they need ...

Is a rapid
    You don't see many Rapids for sale because most have been used as fence posts by now b
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

I tend to think the pcp market has expanded in the past 3 or 4 years with many new models and brands coming to the market. You only have to look at the magazines to note that the number of manufacturers selling in the UK has increased alongside different styles of rifle ... bullpups for instance together with a plethora of 'special editions' from a few manufacturers / retailers. I guess this has resulted in a desire for newcomers to the pcp market to 'move up market' or strive for better results with a different model of pcp. Hence more s/h rifles come onto the market.
    Springers are not being forgotten though ... if you look at the sales listing published in Airgun Shooter then springers from all parts of the price spectrum are still selling well.
    Cheers, Phil

I know where this thread is heading. But this is my answer to the question

Q?: Why so many PCP's for sale second hand?

There is so much on them that fails on a regular basis. The amount of swearing from the Old generation at my club that have them is frequent, oh sugar I have lost all my air, oh dear this seal has blown etc etc.
    They are very expensive to buy a really good new one, then there is the air tank and the hoses and fittings and regulators and then it costs at least a Lady Godiva to fill the damn thing with air, so then there is the hassle of finding a place that fills them.
    So you get to the range absolutely cream crackered from carrying all that gear, you set it up, praying that it is going to work, and then after a phew pffffts later you then realise how boring they are to shoot. There is not a huge amount of skill required too use one and you can't miss. Where is the fun in this.
    So people go to there local gun shop and trade in their PCP rifle, buy a quality springer rifle, even the most expensive is still a lot cheaper than a decent PCP, thats all that you need no extras like tanks etc. You get to the range not having to worry if the rifle is going to work, it's a springer of course it will work. You then have the satisfaction of knowing that when you shoot certain targets, it was due to your efforts of shooting a gun with recoil, a bit like a real gun really, using your skill and not having to rely on the equipment to take all the fun out of shooting.
    That's why there are so many PCP's for sale.
    I am now hiding behind the settee awaiting the fallout from the PCP fanboys
    Last edited by StellaArtois Sr; 04-04-2017 at 05:37 PM.
    Shooting Air Rifles is like being a pubic hair on a toilet seat.
    Eventually someone comes a long and P's you off.
    They usually have a PCP

Quote Originally Posted by Zomboid View Post
    ... so they hit everything and get bored.
    In all my years of being involved in shooting, I have never met anyone who could hit everything, let alone do it so frequently as to become bored.

Just an observation.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Probably closer to the truth than you'd think! I found with PCP's there was always something that seemed better on paper: Shot count/Reg/Weight/Looks etc. The truth is they are all very similar so I spent many thousands of pounds trying them all. As soon as I recognised the issue I bought the best PCP for my circumstances and thats all I need. I can now concentrate all my effort of springers
    a lot of them all look the same but different makers. some look like billets of alloy with a few holes drilled in them to let the air go through and that's about all the machining done to the
    Last edited by bighit; 04-04-2017 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StellaArtois Sr View Post

There is so much on them that fails on a regular basis. The amount of swearing from the Old generation at my club that have them is frequent, oh sugar I have lost all my air, oh dear this seal has blown etc etc.
    They are very expensive to buy a really good new one, then there is the air tank and the hoses and fittings and regulators and then it costs at least a Lady Godiva to fill the damn thing with air, so then there is the hassle of finding a place that fills them.
    So you get to the range absolutely cream crackered from carrying all that gear, you set it up, praying that it is going to work, and then after a phew pffffts later you then realise how boring they are to shoot. There is not a huge amount of skill required too use one and you can't miss. Where is the fun in this.
    So people go to there local gun shop and trade in their PCP rifle, buy a quality springer rifle, even the most expensive is still a lot cheaper than a decent PCP, thats all that need no extras like tanks etc. You get to the range not having to worry if the rifle is going to work, it's a springer of course it will work. You then have the satisfaction of knowing that when you shoot certain targets, it was due to your efforts of shooting a gun with recoil, a bit like a real gun really, using your skill and not having to rely on the equipment to take all the fun out of shooting.
    Bravo...

Why would you want all the faff of a PCP whips/bottles/gauges/bottle testing/sack trucks for carting the bottle around etc when you can achieve the exact same results with a simple springer ?

Now the fuse is well and truly alight I'm gonna go and take cover...

Quote Originally Posted by StellaArtois Sr View Post

So people go to there local gun shop and trade in their PCP rifle, buy a quality springer rifle, even the most expensive is still a lot cheaper than a decent PCP, thats all that you need no extras like tanks etc. You get to the range not having to worry if the rifle is going to work, it's a springer of course it will work. You then have the satisfaction of knowing that when you shoot certain targets, it was due to your efforts of shooting a gun with recoil, a bit like a real gun really, using your skill and not having to rely on the equipment to take all the fun out of shooting.
    No need to hide as I can see where some of your points come from. But I do not agree with all of them. Cost: agreed; by the time you have bought the rifle plus 'the gear' I suspect you are spending more than a good springer; But how much more? Not so much maybe by the time the now seemingly compulsory aftermarket tune / new stock etc is added on. Places to fill tanks? Agreed not ubiquitous but then again most pcp shooters manage. No skill involved? Disagree. Try telling the top competition (FT / HFT or even 10m) shooters they need no skill as they can't miss and then hide behind the settee. A springer will need an extended skill set, agreed, but that does not make pcp rifles easy to shoot at the top level. Reliable? Not sure about this. Yes, leaks happen but so do broken springs, worn piston and breech seals, broken spring guides etc. Shooting fun? I can concede this one as I think there is more fun / gratification in shooting a springer well. But where does this leave the rifles that are so tuned as to 'shoot like a pcp' in some peoples opinion. Are such people deliberately rejecting the lure of the traditional springer in an attempt to make their tuned rifle into a pcp look alike?
    Just thoughts .....
    Cheers, Phil

flyingfish is online now I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    On a Saturday morning at the LVAG plinking range you will normally find a few regulars . 4 pcp only shooters. 3 springer shooters and 3 of us that mainly shoot springers. Mind you if I had to sell one the Scorpion would go.

Pete
    Pete

I think it's purely because people buy the expensive posh guns with all the intention in the world of using it regularly but we all know life gets in the way, with time and finances both being tight some times. It's then easier to "give up" and get a nice bit of wedge back on a pcp or stick the Springer in the loft and forget about it, especially when some clever twerp in the factory stamped SMK on my Springer!
    BASC Member

NewPaul is online now Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    Quote Originally Posted by kevmar View Post
    My mate is selling a near mint condition Webley Raider single shot in .22.
    It comes with deluxe padded bag,
    filling hose ,
    larger scope,
    tracer lamp,
    large Divers bottle in test,
    this is a ''proper webley'' not that Turkish rhubarb
    hes asking £450 or near offer for the full set up,
    oh and pellets too.
    Nice to see you on the General Airgun Section for a change and not The For Sale Section
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by NewPaul View Post
    Nice to see you on the General Airgun Section for a change and not The For Sale Section
    Saucer of milk for table 5!
    My ignore list: ​<Hidden information>

NewPaul is online now Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Saucer of milk for table 5!
    are you in the same restaurant as me ?
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

Modern tuning methods for springers

....Guys i think you may have all missed what i believe is the main reason...
    The latest tuning technology for springers!
    Just as an example (and in no way a firm argument for one type of tuner over another) an SFS stage 2 tune ...or copy of such that i have done, will put pellet on top of pellet all day long with just a tiny jolt of recoil.
    Indeed ive out shot some PCP rifles quite regularly with either a Prosport or HW98 tuned like this.
    ....but without all the idiotic parafinalia...Gauges, pumps, pipes and bottles....
    Out hunting its surely a no brainer, with most of the fields people ive come across usually carrying a 95 or a Lightning or something of that nature.
    Also power curves are annoying. The PCP is only as accurate as its maximum number of median shots before power tails off ....getting it right or wrong here can be annoying.
    A springer is what it is.....a single stroke of + or - 5fps all day long....day in day out.

Cool

Very interesting.....just my take on it....walking round the course at the range last Sunday just shooting at what I fancied and enjoying walking around in the sun I was aiming and heard a guy shooting a few yards away, stop, swear and say to his mate he would have to walk back for a recharge as he was running out of air.....
    I admit to slightly smirking as I pulled the springer trigger and thinking to myself...."I'm not! "