Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Q?: Why so many PCP's for sale second hand?

Quote Originally Posted by phils_wicked View Post
    hi all.

I have saved up for a new setup. I've shopped around, looked at the second hand market and thought carefully...

I have noticed that there are soooooo many more pcps for sale on the 2nd hand market than springers. Why is this? Is it due to higher PCP sales? Maybe its due to PCP owners missing the "thump" from a springer?

There is a definite trend...
    First of all there are many more PCPs than springers. Secondly the " New " PCPs keep coming on to market wth no end in sight so the PCP owners keep trading or upgrading for the newer dangled fangled model. In comparison the Springer market is static. When was the last time you heard of a new German or English Spring powered gin coming on to the market? There are a lot of American/Chinese stuff being imported which really do not rock anyone's boat so people hold on to their springers.

A.G

Why sell? So many PCP's for sale?

Well thats where its all happening. New to the sport, leaving the sport and upgrading within the sport.
    A whole lot are buying and selling with enthusiasm.

Some is those who try, and enjoy, but not enjoy enough. Time, kit, expense, and that dreaded filling up the bottle thing goes against shooting PCP's. Big negative for youngsters is how to get that grownup to oversee so that they can shoot enough. Loads of barriers to hold people back or drop out of the sport. One huge problem is where to shoot, needs effort, and often transport???

Of those that stay, or are enjoying it all, then its upgrades and the search for the advantage. There always a sexier machine to be had. Or just for the fun of it. One big annoyance with PCP's is that they are easy to master and once mastered can get dull. (A bit like a 338 Lapua at 300m; how many times do you need to hit the spotting disc? Full bore can get boring to unless more challenging courses of fire found).
    However, give credit to air rifle clubs as many are doing their best to make it fun and recruit more people and retain those they have. In general shooting a growing sport and loads of people are enjoying themselves. They might not all stay with air rifles but they will keep going with some other shooting sport; may well come back too.

Generally, a good amount of money is tied up in the kit. Those leaving, those upgrading, those buying into another shooting sport, all sorts of reasons then there is going to be a volume of trade. Think thats all we are seeing.

Its not because everyone suddenly want to go back to springers. Though loads do, as springers are more of a challenge in so many ways. But then have both. Think springers are getting a resurgence as there more tinkering and choice to be had, plus they aren't very forgiving for a challenge. Similar challenge to computer games with no cheats. We just love making things "interesting".

Anyhow, PCP's is where the action is. I don't own a PCP, never have, as they are annoyingly good, very.

Salamander is offline The bbs' most interfered with member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    In all my years of being involved in shooting, I have never met anyone who could hit everything, let alone do it so frequently as to become bored.

Just an observation.
    This ^.

If everyone who likes springers is so in love with recoil, why not buy a centre-fire? Or even a shotgun?
    That mod from Yns Mon's been interfering with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    This ^.

If everyone who likes springers is so in love with recoil, why not buy a centre-fire? Or even a shotgun?
    Well, the thing about that is, firearms and shotguns recoil (notable by the tendency for a loose sight to fall off the front of the gun). While your springer acts in the opposite direction (scope wants to creep backwards, and will do, if it's not tightened up enough).

Proof enough that the springer (and it's ugly cousin the rammer) have the opposite of recoil.

As there isn't a word for the opposite of 'recoil', I think I'll go with 'rebound'.

Therefore there's (presumably) more recoil in a pneumatic action.

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    This ^.

I have owned centre fire and shot gun.
    The attraction of a springer to me is, I must keep the technique right but I can shoot at a can in my garden if I wish. Couldn't do that with .303

Pete
    Pete

Why are there lots of PCPs for sale ...

a) Most people want the latest boom boom stick.

b) Most people want the boom boom stick that they think makes it easy to hit things.

c) Most people can't shoot ... refer to a) and b).

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    Well, the thing about that is, firearms and shotguns recoil (notable by the tendency for a loose sight to fall off the front of the gun). While your springer acts in the opposite direction (scope wants to creep backwards, and will do, if it's not tightened up enough).

Proof enough that the springer (and it's ugly cousin the rammer) have the opposite of recoil.

As there isn't a word for the opposite of 'recoil', I think I'll go with 'rebound'.

The word you're looking for is 'Surge', and it happens after Recoil...
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    The word you're looking for is 'Surge', and it happens after Recoil...
    If I asked the ex wife for sex she'd recoil. If I waved 60 quid overtime money at her, and suggested she could have it for a new frock, she'd surge ( probably more of a lunge ).

So I'll go along with the above.

Salamander is offline The bbs' most interfered with member

I thank you.
    That mod from Yns Mon's been interfering with me.