Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Umarex MP40 got one to Test!

Looks nice to me

Quote Originally Posted by Tony.T View Post
    As it happens I own a 6mm airsoft AEG MP40.

Sorry- but it craps on the BB version as it fires FULL AUTO, shall I say it again FULL AUTO

And I can get 50 yds range from it, spray and pray, but so what- it's FUN And it sounds the part....
    Have you checked the power output? New legislation makes it a firearm if over 1.3 joules.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

But is it just one of those airgun firearms if over the new limit?

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    But is it just one of those airgun firearms if over the new limit?
    Unfortunately a firearm is a firearm in UK, so full force of the law applies and (by my understanding - feel free to tell me I'm wrong, because this is just my interpretation) you'd be in posession of a Section 5 firearm, just the same as if it was an AK 47, which just goes to show how stupid our legislators are.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Our airguns are Firearms.
    An over limit airsoft is also presumably an airgun as well and as such ok.

Unless the full auto thing kicks in and prison looms?
    Kafkaesque as we say in Dorset.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Our airguns are Firearms.
    An over limit airsoft is also presumably an airgun as well and as such ok.

Unless the full auto thing kicks in and prison looms?
    Kafkaesque as we say in Dorset.
    A full auto airgun will be a Section 5 firearm....

What about co2 powered 6mm pistols that are sold as airguns?
    They aren't classed as illegal airsoft.
    I have read the Legislation but am struggling to understand it.

What about co2 powered 6mm pistols that are sold as airguns?
    They aren't classed as illegal airsoft.
    I have read the Legislation but am struggling to understand it.
    Like all legislation, it is not simple.

As far as I understand what I've read, an airsoft gun ceases to be an airsoft gun if it exceeds 2.5 joules. I guess though that it remains an airgun as long as its less than 12 ft-lbs.

However, a full auto airsoft which exceeds 1.3 joules, jumps straight into Sect 5 firearms category. That is the change which could trap a lot of existing owners.

Extract from the act here:

125Firearms Act 1968: meaning of “firearm” etc

(1)
    The Firearms Act 1968 is amended as follows.

(2)
    In section 57 (interpretation), in subsection (1), for the words from the beginning to the end of paragraph (c) substitute—

“(1)
    In this Act, the expression “firearm” means—

(a)
    a lethal barrelled weapon (see subsection (1B));

(b)
    a prohibited weapon;

(c)
    a relevant component part in relation to a lethal barrelled weapon or a prohibited weapon (see subsection (1D));

(d)
    an accessory to a lethal barrelled weapon or a prohibited weapon where the accessory is designed or adapted to diminish the noise or flash caused by firing the weapon;”.

(3)
    In that section, before subsection (2) insert—

“(1B)
    In subsection (1)(a), “lethal barrelled weapon” means a barrelled weapon of any description from which a shot, bullet or other missile, with kinetic energy of more than one joule at the muzzle of the weapon, can be discharged.

(1C)
    Subsection (1) is subject to section 57A (exception for airsoft guns).”

(4)
    In that section, after subsection (1C) (as inserted by subsection (3) above) insert—

“(1D)
    For the purposes of subsection (1)(c), each of the following items is a relevant component part in relation to a lethal barrelled weapon or a prohibited weapon—

(a)
    a barrel, chamber or cylinder,

(b)
    a frame, body or receiver,

(c)
    a breech block, bolt or other mechanism for containing the pressure of discharge at the rear of a chamber,

but only where the item is capable of being used as a part of a lethal barrelled weapon or a prohibited weapon.”
    (5)
    After section 57 insert—

“57A
    Exception for airsoft guns

(1)
    An “airsoft gun” is not to be regarded as a firearm for the purposes of this Act.

(2)
    An “airsoft gun” is a barrelled weapon of any description which—

(a)
    is designed to discharge only a small plastic missile (whether or not it is also capable of discharging any other kind of missile), and

(b)
    is not capable of discharging a missile (of any kind) with kinetic energy at the muzzle of the weapon that exceeds the permitted level.

(3)
    “Small plastic missile” means a missile that—

(a)
    is made wholly or partly from plastics,

(b)
    is spherical, and

(c)
    does not exceed 8 millimetres in diameter.

(4)
    The permitted kinetic energy level is—

(a)
    in the case of a weapon which is capable of discharging two or more missiles successively without repeated pressure on the trigger, 1.3 joules;

(b)
    in any other case, 2.5 joules.”
    Last edited by Airsporter1st; 23-04-2017 at 11:13 AM.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.

chris u'5 is offline I'm a dumbass, it's official!!
    I would really like one but was put of by the markings, the original pre-release pictures showed it with 'Legends' printed on the receiver, like they have put on the Luger and 1911 (totally spoils the look!)

However on the Legacy Edition (Battlefield finish) I can't see this marking, can anyone confirm or deny if it is there please? Also does the UK version have those horrible warning markings you usually find on Umarex products? If so, I'll buy from Germany.

Thanks in advance.
    "Who's the only one here that knows illegal ninja moves from the government?"

Quote Originally Posted by chris u'5 View Post
    I would really like one but was put of by the markings, the original pre-release pictures showed it with 'Legends' printed on the receiver, like they have put on the Luger and 1911 (totally spoils the look!)

However on the Legacy Edition (Battlefield finish) I can't see this marking, can anyone confirm or deny if it is there please? Also does the UK version have those horrible warning markings you usually find on Umarex products? If so, I'll buy from Germany.

Thanks in advance.
    I agree with your comments about those 'orrible white warning markings and an pleased to say there are no such warnings on the battlefield finish version. There are some discreet white markings on the right side of the magazine housing which relate to the model and serial number but that's it.

John M

chris u'5 is offline I'm a dumbass, it's official!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I agree with your comments about those 'orrible white warning markings and an pleased to say there are no such warnings on the battlefield finish version. There are some discreet white markings on the right side of the magazine housing which relate to the model and serial number but that's it.

John M
    Great news!
    Thank you very much for getting back to me John, much appreciated.
    "Who's the only one here that knows illegal ninja moves from the government?"