Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Royal Mail - A Warning

Royal Mail - A Warning

I posted a rifle yesterday.

These now have to be sent as a "Large parcel". It is apparently the only service that can be used.

The price: £31.00

Yes. Really.

I whinged a bit and they knocked off a fiver with some discount or other.

But I checked the RM website when I got home and, sure enough, £31 is now the going rate.

It was £15 the last time I posted a rifle.

I don't think that I'll be posting any more.

is that with parcel force ??

these things go on size of parcel and weight of parcel ???

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Split stock and action makes a smaller parcel.
    Master Debater

Quote Originally Posted by threelander View Post
    is that with parcel force ??
    Yes...

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Split stock and action makes a smaller parcel.
    Precisely. Keep the weight down to an absolute minimum also.

Apparently, the size of the parcel wasn't the issue.

not much less than RFD to RFD then.

depending on the fees the buyers pays at their end that is .

one near me charges £15 handling fee and £20 for transport.

and £15 for receiving an item.

Quote Originally Posted by DJP View Post
    I posted a rifle yesterday.

These now have to be sent as a "Large parcel". It is apparently the only service that can be used.

The price: £31.00

Yes. Really.

I whinged a bit and they knocked off a fiver with some discount or other.

But I checked the RM website when I got home and, sure enough, £31 is now the going rate.

It was £15 the last time I posted a rifle.

I don't think that I'll be posting any more.
    I've just been to the web site & checked the updated service/prices.

What they have done is greatly increased the size of large parcel that they will accept, large used to max length 1.5m or length/girth combined 3m,
    it is now length 2.5m, or length/girth combined 5m.
    However Parcelforce48 previously was not covered by size only by weight, there is now a PF48(large) service which costs more, had it been under 61cm length, therefore a medium parcel, it would have been £12.98 up to 5kg or £16.40 up to 10kg.

So it looks like even with Parcelforce it is now worth removing the stock to shorten the length of the package.

Edit, I've just been on to Parcelforce.com & on there it appears to say that up to the old large size of 1.5m long it should have been classed as standard PF48 NOT PF48(large)
    So it appears you may have been ripped off if the package was less than 1.5m long which obviously I don't know.
    Last edited by angrybear; 08-04-2017 at 05:15 PM.

Parcelforce Worldwide express48 - large parcel is I understand the only legal way for a non rfd in England to send a non fac airgun. Maximum length not exceeding 1.5m and 3m length and girth combined. Weight limit 30kg max. For up to 2kg the cost is £11.99, up to 5kg £12.98, up to 10kg £16.40, up to 15kg £23.14. Maximum compensation of £100 (not increasable).

These are as far as I am aware the current prices.

Post office counter staff seem to be of varying abilities in their understanding of their own systems let alone the ways of Parcelforce! I spent a fair bit of time researching the rules and regulations, hope this makes life easier.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by DJP View Post
    Yes...
    Wot ??? ... Just posted two -- yes two -- air rifles via Parcel Force this very morning to two different U.K. addresses, fully insured and signed for, and they only cost £13.98 each with the up-lift insurance above their standard £100 insurance, so ether you packaged them and sent them in weighty steel or dense wooden boxes (under 1.5m Parcel Force parcel prices are governed by weight alone) or the scales the Parcel Force / Royal Mail person used for your send were seriously in need of re calibrating?

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

There are new prices & sizes from Mar 17 page 6 of the downloadable price guide.

I will phone Parcelforce on Monday to try & confirm the size limits for PF48 & PF48(large).

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Wot ??? ... Just posted two -- yes two -- air rifles via Parcel Force this very morning to two different U.K. addresses, fully insured and signed for, and they only cost £13.98 each with the up-lift insurance above their standard £100 insurance, so ether you packaged them and sent them in weighty steel or dense wooden boxes (under 1.5m Parcel Force parcel prices are governed by weight alone) or the scales the Parcel Force / Royal Mail person used for your send were seriously in need of re calibrating?
    Out of interest Gareth, why did you pay for the enhanced insurance?
    Unless things have changed since March, airguns for sporting use are only covered to a max of £100, no matter how much extra you pay.
    The 'Bear will be along shortly to confirm or deny all things postal
    From PF website:
    "Arms and Ammunition - low powered air weapons Low-powered air weapons (air rifles, air guns and air pistols), together with lead pellets and other airgun and airsoft projectiles, can be sent but are subject to the following conditions:

1. These items must be sent on an express48 service only
    2. These items must be sent via the Post Office only, and presented at the counter
    3. Enhanced compensation cover is not available"

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by philipk5 View Post
    Parcelforce Worldwide express48 - large parcel is I understand the only legal way for a non rfd in England to send a non fac airgun. Maximum length not exceeding 1.5m and 3m length and girth combined. Weight limit 30kg max. For up to 2kg the cost is £11.99, up to 5kg £12.98, up to 10kg £16.40, up to 15kg £23.14. Maximum compensation of £100 (not increasable).

These are as far as I am aware the current prices.

Post office counter staff seem to be of varying abilities in their understanding of their own systems let alone the ways of Parcelforce! I spent a fair bit of time researching the rules and regulations, hope this makes life easier.
    Insurance values / compensation values can be increased, as an extra pound (£1.00) paid at source to Parcel Force over the counter sees this sum increased to £200 -- I know this to be so as just paid for this insurance up-lift on the parcels detailed in my post as above, this very day.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Insurance values / compensation values can be increased, as an extra pound (£1.00) paid at source to Parcel Force over the counter sees this sum increased to £200 -- I know this to be so as just paid for this insurance up-lift on the parcels detailed in my post as above, this very day.
    According to their compensation exclusions sporting guns are among the many items that enhanced cover does not apply to.
    Yes the post office will take the money but the cover from PF is limited to the basic service £100.

Unless of course that has changed with the new Mar 17 conditions.