Thread: Simple homemade jigs and tools....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Simple homemade jigs and tools....

Hi,

Here's a very crude but handy little gizmo I made to press a countersunk recess into a steel washer using a big vice. I made it a few years ago, long before I got a lathe...and as you can see it is as simple as you like, bit of a Gem barrel with the end bored out to form a simple die and a cut-down wood screw as punch, but it works so well that I haven't bothered making anything fancier for the purpose since...

What little jigs or tools have you made and use?
    blah blah

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    The only two things I can think of, which aren't really that special are a modified flat blade screwdriver with a slot cut in the end to help undo/do up the slotted nut on the hinge bolt on the later BSA Mercury and Challengers, I also got my friend who has a lathe to make me up a small boss that slides over the spindle on my bench grinder so I can use an angle grinder cutting disk to cut main springs as I always found it a pain trying to cut through springs with a hacksaw.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    The only two things I can think of, which aren't really that special are a modified flat blade screwdriver with a slot cut in the end to help undo/do up the slotted nut on the hinge bolt on the later BSA Mercury and Challengers, I also got my friend who has a lathe to make me up a small boss that slides over the spindle on my bench grinder so I can use an angle grinder cutting disk to cut main springs as I always found it a pain trying to cut through springs with a hacksaw.

Pete
    Hi Pete,

That's exactly the sort of thing I mean, those simplest of tools that were bashed together to do a job yet have prove themselves worthy time and time again...a good example being the indispensable broom handle tool that makes stripping a Meteor easy.

Here's a pic a simple jig that goes in a drill press. I use it to cut breech seals from very thick leather...which it cuts through like butter!
    blah blah

edbear2 Guest
    Hi Dave,

Because I have access at work most of my stuff can be made a bit better, such as this fixture to hold a BSA barrel steady whilst dovetailing (the action was held in the mill vise by the flats on the breech);

https://www.flickr.com/photos/312284...7623019958012/

However at home when caught out it's angle grinder and dremel like everyone else and a couple that spring to mind are a modified air tool spanner (flat steel stock) to do Diana 50 front screws, or a deep socket attacked with a Dremel to fit the nut which secures the stock on early Airsporters, Or even two or three spanners with some tape over inserted in a tight Weihrauch breech block trigger slot so I could it started

ATB, Ed
    Last edited by edbear2; 11-04-2017 at 12:45 PM.

aimless Guest

clamp for screws

Hi, this is my home-made "clamp" to rask (?) or saw(?) srews. Just make the threads and then cut the piece with a saw. Dont forget the big bore to make the device "elastic"...

(Please excuse my humble technical english)

http://sta.sh/22a1vt37432j?edit=1

Ring nut spanner