Thread: Remington Express - Titan #1 Spring Length

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by W&SP View Post
    UPDATE

Post installing new spring, the RE was averaging 11.3 pounds sq ft without any power bands. Since 'running it in' (100 pellets or so), power has dropped to 10.6. I thought that they normally increased once bedded in. Looks like yet another strip to add some washers. It has new breech and piston washers as well as new HDPE sleeve, new guide/TH so all should be OK. Anyway, the previously reported 5 coils chop might not be be right!

The other thing that's annoying is that I cannot get a grouping of less than 1" at 10 yards (hand rested on bag). I've cleaned the barrel, checked that everything is tight etc. By comparison, in the same session / set-up (was checking scopes) my HW97 was doing under 1 cm groups. This is the reason that I re-checked the power - to check it's consistent, which it is. Wondering if I need to re-crown?

It's been fun fiddling with this rifle. I bought it for a song so even with the small amount spent on it, it's still cheap. But I do wish I could now stop 'fixing' and start shooting!
    Could be it no longer likes the pellets you are feeding it. You might have to try a few different tins an see which it favours ,)

Quote Originally Posted by prosport.177 View Post
    Could be it no longer likes the pellets you are feeding it. You might have to try a few different tins an see which it favours ,)
    I had a quick go at 25 yds today. I tried RWS Superfields and they weren't any better than the JSB Exact 4.51s. Haven't tried H&N trophy yet but I think my main problem is twofold:

1. I always struggle to get a decent/consistent hold when resting my hand on a bench/bag compared to normal non-supported hold. Might continue fine tuning the tele-sights & choice of pellet without using a bench.
    2. This rifle doesn't seem to like too light a hold. The loose grip I use on my tuned HW97 gets nice tight grouping. But with the Remington I'm getting much better grouping when I hold the front a bit tighter. Goes against most of what I've read about 'best practice' springer shooting. I wonder if a silencer or weight might help?

One other thing that I must attend to is sometimes the rifle fires when I let off the safety! The trigger adjustment screw worked a bit loose over time. So I set it tighter to give the spring a better hold. Might have to use a bit of threadlock. Or a stronger spring? Other possibility to investigate is changing the number of turns of the safety screw inside the action - might need bit less or more turn to work properly since I changed the trigger rear profile. I only let the safety off when the rifle is pointing at my backstop but it's happened twice now which is twice too many! So back t o the workshop before my next session.