Thread: Remington Express - Titan #1 Spring Length

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Remington Express - Titan #1 Spring Length

Last year tuned my RE .177 - standard clean/polish, new seals and new guide/top-hat. I retained the existing spring but collapsed/polished both ends at it had just been chopped and unfinished. After bedding in, can only get power to around 10 lbs/ft and that’s with around 30 mm pre-load – which seems too much pre-load.

Therefore, decided to replace the original spring as it is quite short - after collapsing it is 200 mm. The Titan #1 is the same ID/OD and similar gauge but is 280 mm long.

Before starting a potentially lengthy session of cut/collapse trial and error, I wondered if anyone knows the approximate suitable length for this spring & rifle? I know it depends on lots of factors and will need fine tuning but a general guide for cutting length would be helpful.

If it helps, I will share with you an Excel spreadsheet I wrote a while back, to help decide spring length. If you know the power you have with a given spring length (assuming it's too great) then it will forecast how much to take off in order to reach your desired power level. But you do need a start point. And you'll need Excel on your PC to run it.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Thanks that would be helpful!

That will mean that I can cut, test & then have a far better idea of how much to chop off next.

PM sent.

It's taken me an unbelievably long time to get round to this but thought I'd provide some feedback as I got a result first time.

I chopped off approx 40 mm (5 coils) of a Titan #1 and without any power bands rifle is averaging 11.3 pounds sq ft. This suits me fine.

NB My Remington Express is .177 and has a custom guide and top hat so it might be different for the standard / factory set-up. I'll re-chrono once all's bedded in.

A very underrated rifle, next thing to do is convert to a hw trigger, makes a massive difference. Mines in .177 shooting at 11.7fpe, very little recoil and smooth.

The factory spring is very weak and if it has been cut down to much even by adding pre load spacers you have a job to get power out of them. I often get new Expresses doing 10.5 and under and i up rate them, as well as the AR1 kits i now do a stage one kit for these rifles that is not so expensive.
    .22 Venom Mach 1 (FAC) 6-25x56 Millett.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Thumbhole 6.5-20x40 Leupold EFR.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Sporter 4-12x40 Leupold.
    .177 Venom Vantage 4-16x50.
    .177 Venom Daystate 8-32x56 AGS.
    .22 Venom Datstate 4-16x56 AGS.
    .22 Webley Venom FX2000 6-18x40 Busnel Legend.
    .177 Titan MPT by Steve Pope 6-24x40 Tasco.
    .177 Pro-Sport 4-16x50.
    .22 Webley FX2000 3-9x33 Leupold EFR.
    .177 Logan Solo 4-16x50.
    .22 HW90 (spring powered) 4-16x50
    .22 Gamo Stutzen.
    .177 Walther lever action.

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    A very underrated rifle, next thing to do is convert to a hw trigger, makes a massive difference. Mines in .177 shooting at 11.7fpe, very little recoil and smooth.
    Is there much involved in switching to a HW trigger?