Quote Originally Posted by steveiep View Post
I'm surprised anyone has problems with this rifle being underpowered.
Mine came new, warranted as sub 12 fpe, but was 13 fpe in standard trim.
The dimensions of the mechanicals confirm it is capable of much more
As I was putting in a tune kit anyway, I just took it as a good sign that it was put together ok.
One area that might make a little difference to power and consistency is the breach seal.
Its often a poor fit in that it doesn't stand proud enough to make a good & consistent seal.
The shim that sits under breach seal from a Diana model 34 works, though I have another rifle with the same breach type and made one that fits just as well.
A standard 2.5mm c/s x 8.5mm ID "O" ring works fine as a replacement breach seal
The "O" ring is then pennies to replace and as often as you like.
The piston seal can be replaced with any 28mm Diana type 28mm seal, so you have a choice from Diana, Vortex, Customairseals, Maccari Large Apex etc.
I chopped the barrel to 13 inches and added a V-Mach slip-on silencer (expensive but very nice).
I re-crowned with a conical grindstone in a hand drill.
The accuracy with JSB Exact 5.52 is outstanding.
The tune kit is by Welshwilly which includes a top-hat, guide & spring and power bands.
I assume the spring is a Titan, but as to which one, I dunno.
There is very little preload to easily achieve 11+fpe
Lastly, Venoman off of here does a very nice setback trigger in brass which has twin adjustment screws and for sensible money.
You can get away with removing 2 of the 3 washers under the trigger sear engagement to get the standard trigger to a lighter feel if you don't want to spend on an aftermarket trigger blade. However, the Venoman blade is very nice
The first of the .22cal rifle i had were often high on power and i had to adjust the power to sell them, then the later ones the power was down your lucky if you get one doing 11ft bs i have had some under 10.5. I dont know if they had a number of them returned and the have now lowered the power, the problem is that when you cut to much off the spring you often cant get the power back by adding pre-load due to the spring being weak . If you put one on a flat surface you can press on it and it will start to compress easy, i fit the stage or the AR1 kit to solve the problem.