Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brummie BSA Springers

Brummie BSA Springers

Are all BSA springers less than optimal? Or can an older, Brummie BSA be fettled to make it better?

Don't laugh, but I've always fancied a Lightning (along with others) and I wonder if a cheap one would make a worthwhile project.

Thoughts?

Rob.

Go for it, the older lightnings were good rifles, don't think the newer offerings are much cop though...

The Mercury is a very elegant gun, the old BSA's were very well finished off stood above the rest at the time in that respect imho. A mint lightning could hold it's head up in the looks department today. My mate had an Airsporter S for quality and style it put our guns to shame i think i had a HW35E back then.
    Changed it to mercury my mixup,
    Last edited by buttloaves; 10-04-2017 at 09:56 PM.

I have a Brum Supersport that is very good. As is the Superstar.

Never owned a Mercury S, but they have a lot of fans on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_Lavin View Post
    Are all BSA springers less than optimal? Or can an older, Brummie BSA be fettled to make it better?

Don't laugh, but I've always fancied a Lightning (along with others) and I wonder if a cheap one would make a worthwhile project.

Thoughts?

Rob.
    Superstars were quite good - I didn't like Goldstar multi shot, late Mercurys with bolt, RB Airsporters maybe
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by TORNADOS7 View Post
    Go for it, the older lightnings were good rifles, don't think the newer offerings are much cop though...
    Were they ?
    Over sprung at 10.5 in 22, shit trigger, terrible quality stock bolts that had a habit of snapping ....

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    Were they ?
    Over sprung at 10.5 in 22, shit trigger, terrible quality stock bolts that had a habit of snapping ....
    I said earlier the Lightning was an elegant gun, my mixup i meant the mercury, the trigger block was a nice touch i thought. Also if i remember the muzzle was finished off different to other makers, did they have any faults? they looked well made.

Were they ?
    Not fair.

You failed to mention the wobbly barrels and dodgy safely catches!

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    I'd say get yourself a mk3/4 Mercury or a Challenger (if you can find one at a decent price) and get it tuned, they are lovely rifles to shoot after a fettle, not many break barrels can touch it on looks either.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Brummie BSA Springers

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I'd say get yourself a mk3/4 Mercury or a Challenger (if you can find one at a decent price) and get it tuned, they are lovely rifles to shoot after a fettle, not many break barrels can touch it on looks either.

Pete
    thats for sure my recently aquired challenger has pushed even my HW99s down to second favorite springer to pick up & have a plink with & I really was surprised by this!

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    thats for sure my recently aquired challenger has pushed even my HW99s down to second favorite springer to pick up & have a plink with & I really was surprised by this!
    That's good to hear, can you repost this very comment onto every new HW99 thread that turns up please, that'll piss off TonyL

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Were they ?
    You must have got a bad'n then cos mine was spot on, yeah the trigger wasn't the best out there but perfectly usable all the same and the rifle shot spot on accuracy wise, plenty of poke for rooks and general airgun quarry...

You must have got a bad'n then cos mine was spot on, yeah the trigger wasn't the best out there but perfectly usable all the same and the rifle shot spot on accuracy wise, plenty of poke for rooks and general airgun quarry...
    My old Mercury S was possibly the best ever BSA springer....far better than the Supersport/Lightning variations that followed it, which were over sprung and had slightly rougher triggers and occasionally dodgy safety catches.
    Also the traditional elegance that was all Airsporter/Mercury gone forever after the mark.
    It had a pivot bolt and no horrible plastic scope mount fitted to many of the models that followed it...also lacked the raised trigger block/arrestor ....more elegant than the later Challenger for it.
    It edged out all my earlier Airsporter specimens incl. the later S version in accuracy terms.

It was walnut stocked with not so clever pressed chequering which i decided to sand out.
    Loved the gun and wished i hadnt sold it.

I have found that my HW95 SFS tuned edges it though .....a HW of this time outclasses the BSA offerings from yesterday or today.....dont let anyone tell you different....its cobblers...even if we do view the old BSFs with rosey tinted specs....these were not as good IMO.
    Feinwerkbau Sport.....now theres a topic !

I've owned several BSA's including Airsporter RB2 .22 and Mercury Challenger .22 Mercury S .177. Lovely to look at, well balanced, good build quality and make 12ftlb comfortably(.22). The triggers are described as very agricultural at best, and as a consequence render the rifle's inaccurate. My .22 HW77k will hit 1/2" spinners and similar size groups at 30 metres regularly.
    The 1990's BSA's on the other hand will struggle to even get close to Weihrauch or Diana accuracy and so are better suited to 1 1/2" spinners and groups at 30 metres. However, my .177 AA TX200SR and Pro Sport will hit 10mm groups at 30 metres supported which goes to show that you don't need a German spring piston rifle for accurate shooting.

The barrel was fine, it was the sweep, build, trigger and quality of materials I had issues with