Thread: replica webley mk 1 rifle ?

replica webley mk 1 rifle ?

hello, every one, this is my 1st post on this site. apparently I need to make 5 or 6 posts before I get full membership!
    so here goes, first a little bit about myself, I am self employed engineer, have own workshop, lathes, mills, drills,welders, forge, furnace etc. my hobbies are , airguns, motor bikes, steam engines etc.
    question? I have looked at photo's of Webley mk 1 air rifle, I have never actually handled one, is there any body out there who has? & shot with it? what is it like?
    To me, it looks like something I could knock-up in my 'back street workshop' So I thought I might make a replica. A non firing replica! wall-hanger, talking point, anybody interested? I would need help with design/dimensions
    I can not sell you this, as it is only a figment of my imagination!
    best regards, cringe.

I have no idea....

However, welcome to the forum and take my prize for the most interesting first post that I can remember.

Here are some photos of mine.

To shoot....it puts out around 6 foot lb the trigger needs about 6lb of pull if not more..it is not that adjustable..even though there is an adjuster screw..and a safety catch..it was ahead of its time......very accurate at 10 yards very easy to load. Not practical as a modern day hunting rifle ..but always brings a smile to my face when I take it to the gun club for an outing and is a fine gun for being nearly 100 years old..as seen in the photos mine had been slightly modified..with a little bit of engraving...
    Last edited by Rocket launcher; 11-04-2017 at 07:06 PM.

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    I seem to remember reading somewhere at some time, that in India, you could buy copy Airsporter rifles made by Indian workers in 'back street workshops' , the quality of the finished article ranged greatly from good to very poor - I don't know if it's true though.
    I just thought I would throw that in for what it's worth.

Oh and welcome to the site, you sound like an interesting person with a lot of skills!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by bigduncs View Post

welcome to the forum and take my prize for the most interesting first post that i can remember.
    x2

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket launcher View Post
    ..with a little bit of engraving...
    That is some Little Bit
    Can I ask who did it for you? I am gently trolling the market to find someone to 'bling' a trigger guard for me.... (For no other reason than because I want to!)

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post
    I seem to remember reading somewhere at some time, that in India, you could buy copy Airsporter rifles made by Indian workers in 'back street workshops' , the quality of the finished article ranged greatly from good to very poor - I don't know if it's true though.
    I just thought I would throw that in for what it's worth.

Oh and welcome to the site, you sound like an interesting person with a lot of skills!

ASM

I have worked in India / Pakistan / Afghanistan in some quite remote places.

You can buy a fully working copy of anything there.
    Anything . Literally.
    Most of the workmanship is excellent

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by chieffool View Post
    That is some Little Bit
    Can I ask who did it for you? I am gently trolling the market to find someone to 'bling' a trigger guard for me.... (For no other reason than because I want to!)
    Here are the before pics the gun was fit to scrap. It would not cock. the cylinder tube was oval. One of the cocking braces was cracked.there was an old brass screw in the trigger adjust ..the stock was battered and worn

I got the gun for free and I promised the old gentleman I got it off .that I would sent it to the best restorers in the uk as the gun .had historical value and as it was his dad's and was used in the sunderland shipyard to kill rats in the late 20s and 1930s

I rang around the top people and this is the journey the gun took from start to finish.as it was fit to scrap I thought I would go the whole hog and make the old rifle have a modern twist as in probably the first ever V-Mach Webley Mark 1 Rifle

Steve Pope said first I was to send the gun to
    to ISP were the stock was redone and the broken cocking arm was manufactured.as was a new trigger sear and to finish the screw was replaced by Shaun at ISP it was then reblued
    It was then sent to Steve Pope at v-mach. He trued up the cylinder.the gun then travelled in parts to Don Blocksidge to get the engraving done.it went back to ISP for a final re-Blue. Then back to v-mach for an internal polish a new spring and the phosy bronze piston ring changed to a more modern type (retained the origionals in a sealed bag) it was then finished.reassembled checked that it worked at a constant 6 foot lb and sent back to myself cost ''lots" worth it yes to save an old rifle that had been in a shed for 30+ years and to see the smile on that old man when he saw and fired his dad's old rifle
    Last edited by Rocket launcher; 12-04-2017 at 06:32 AM.

Rocket Launcher - What a truly great story and kudos to you for taking it on and bringing some joy into someone else's life.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket launcher View Post
    Here are the before pics the gun was fit to scrap. It would not cock. the cylinder tube was oval. One of the cocking braces was cracked.there was an old brass screw in the trigger adjust ..the stock was battered and worn

I got the gun for free and I promised the old gentleman I got it off .that I would sent it to the best restorers in the uk as the gun .had historical value and as it was his dad's and was used in the sunderland shipyard to kill rats in the late 20s and 1930s

I rang around the top people and this is the journey the gun took from start to finish.as it was fit to scrap I thought I would go the whole hog and make the old rifle have a modern twist as in probably the first ever V-Mach Webley Mark 1 Rifle

Steve Pope said first I was to send the gun to
    to ISP were the stock was redone and the broken cocking arm was manufactured.as was a new trigger sear and to finish the screw was replaced by Shaun at ISP it was then reblued
    It was then sent to Steve Pope at v-mach. He trued up the cylinder.the gun then travelled in parts to Don Blocksidge to get the engraving done.it went back to ISP for a final re-Blue. Then back to v-mach for an internal polish a new spring and the phosy bronze piston ring changed to a more modern type (retained the origionals in a sealed bag) it was then finished.reassembled checked that it worked at a constant 6 foot lb and sent back to myself cost ''lots" worth it yes to save an old rifle that had been in a shed for 30+ years and to see the smile on that old man when he saw and fired his dad's old rifle
    What a great story, and well done you for getting it done and making someone happy.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post

Rocket Launcher - What a truly great story and kudos to you for taking it on and bringing some joy into someone else's life.
    I could not have put it better. Hats off to you Rocket Launcher, as in this seemingly ever-selfish world, your story reafirms to me that there are many many good people out there (as indeed there are here in this the "Gentlemans' Corner" section of the good old BBS, too ).

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam99 View Post
    I have worked in India / Pakistan / Afghanistan in some quite remote places.

You can buy a fully working copy of anything there.
    Anything . Literally.
    Most of the workmanship is excellent

Sam
    One of my interests in Martini rifles and you occasionally see ones that are affectionately known as -

A Khyber Pass Copy is a firearm manufactured by cottage gunsmiths in the Khyber Pass region between Pakistan and Afghanistan.
    The area has long had a reputation for producing unlicensed, homemade copies of firearms using whatever materials are available – more often than not, railway rails, scrap motor vehicles, and other scrap metal. The quality of such firearms varies widely, ranging from as good as a factory-produced example to dangerously poor.

The most commonly encountered Khyber Pass Copies are of British military firearms, notably Martini–Henry, Martini–Enfield, and Lee–Enfield rifles, although AK-47 rifles, Webley Revolvers, Tokarev TT-33s, Colt M1911s and Browning Hi-Powers have also been encountered.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khyber_Pass_Copy

One obvious indication of a copy is the mistake - EИFIELD for ENFIELD.

Re: replica webley mk 1 rifle

Hello again, have tried posting a couple of times but failed! must be pressing the wrong buttons? if this works thank you all for response.
    especially 'Rocket launcher' that is a stunning restoration & a lovely story to go with it. thanks for sharing. any chance you could send me some photo's with a ruler in the frame? [trigger block, breech block, barrel pivot]
    PS. I am not intending to build a 'fake' but a obvious copy that would have the look & feel. If this works out then I may have a go at building a working model, as I doubt I will ever get to shoot the real thing. best regards cringe.

the letter n

Quote Originally Posted by BigDuncs View Post
    One of my interests in Martini rifles and you occasionally see ones that are affectionately known as -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khyber_Pass_Copy

One obvious indication of a copy is the mistake - EИFIELD for ENFIELD.
    Hi , Big D, this is a question totally off thread ! BUT ! how did you turn that "N" in to mirror image? [I am still apprentice at this computer malarkey] regards cringe.