Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Airgun Magazines...

Question Airgun Magazines...

What do you people really think of the various airgun magazines? I truly believe that I can glean more useful information from one evening on the forums, than from a year's worth of the comics. They may have served a purpose before the internet, but I see them as little more than biased advertising material...

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    What do you people really think of the various airgun magazines? I truly believe that I can glean more useful information from one evening on the forums, than from a year's worth of the comics. They may have served a purpose before the internet, but I see them as little more than biased advertising material...
    All else aside, there are still a lot of people who benefit from and enjoy reading a hard copy, rather than from a screen, whether that be PC or pad.

In my job, I can look at a complex engineering drawing on screen for ages, but it is only when I print the thing and scrutinise the hard copy, that I really get in to it. I think it is something to do with the way our brains are wired.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

I now subscribe to Readly for £8 a month I think it is and it gives me and the family access to 100's of titles every month including all the shooting mags, both air and powder burners. I'm saving a fortune every month as the wife used to buy about 8 house and home and women's mags a month at £4 - £5 each

I've found that there are too many to choose from these days and now I've narrowed it down to AirGun World and Gunmart on a monthly basis from my local Post Office shop. It is/was the same with fishing and I similarly have Improve Your Coarse Fishing reserved too.

You do wonder though if they are just a way of pushing products and yes you can find most information on the internet but it's nice to have a couple of books or magazines handy just to pick up and read.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    All else aside, there are still a lot of people who benefit from and enjoy reading a hard copy, rather than from a screen, whether that be PC or pad.
    I think it is something to do with the way our brains are wired.
    Totally agree
    I am 70 and although I have books and manuals on the I Pad I always end up reading from a hard copy until I nod off. Must be an age thing

I wouldn't miss my monthly fix of Airgun World and Airgunner for the World and subscribe to both.

Always lots of informative and entertaining articles.

You never stop learning and I never fail to learn something new from reading them, especially Jim Tyler's fine technical articles.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I like the airgun shooter out of the three . a few years ago a mag came out called the real airgun shooter , best mag out at the time

Not actually read an airgun mag now for years. I agree with what you said about them just being an advertising platform but they don't really contain anything that you can't find online.

The final nail in the coffin for me was the VCR act.
    B.A.S.C. member

secretagentmole Guest

Airgun Magazines

The BSA generation 1 magazine (lever indexed) were supposed to be problematic, I have never had a problem with them. Generation 2 auto indexers were problematic at the start and seem to be much more reliable now.

Daystate seem to have copied the BSA generation 1 type and I have never had a problem with those either.

Weihrauch, Hatsan and Webley all use the mechanical wheel type and are very reliable. Hatsan sometimes need the pellet apertures enlarging slightly, but a few minutes with a file stops misfeeding.

Air Arms, S200 can suffer from weak paddles that move the magazine round, but this is relatively easily sorted. The other types of Air Arms magazine I have never tried never having owned an S4 or S5 series rifle.

Evanix, lever actuated enclosed, worked well on my Rainstorm.

Theoben, Rapid 7, once you got the hang of it they worked well, just the twist round and drop pellet in was weird at first!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    The BSA generation 1 magazine (lever indexed) were supposed to be problematic, I have never had a problem with them. Generation 2 auto indexers were problematic at the start and seem to be much more reliable now.

Daystate seem to have copied the BSA generation 1 type and I have never had a problem with those either.

Weihrauch, Hatsan and Webley all use the mechanical wheel type and are very reliable. Hatsan sometimes need the pellet apertures enlarging slightly, but a few minutes with a file stops misfeeding.

Air Arms, S200 can suffer from weak paddles that move the magazine round, but this is relatively easily sorted. The other types of Air Arms magazine I have never tried never having owned an S4 or S5 series rifle.

Theoben, Rapid 7, once you got the hang of it they worked well, just the twist round and drop pellet in was weird at first!
    The op meant the sort of magazines you read
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post

What the F ??

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    What the F ??
    I think we'll require the services of Jamie, Mr MoleTrapper, to catch him and interrogate!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by villaman View Post
    I like the airgun shooter out of the three . a few years ago a mag came out called the real airgun shooter , best mag out at the time
    And not forgetting Jim's other publication, "Sporting Air Rifle".

For many, the best EVER.

I still have all the copies and my pristine sew on patch.

And that T20's a right show off with his posh binder!

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    I would have to disagree with you to a certain extent, I don't buy them that often but there is no substitute for sitting down with a good magazine sometimes. You don't really need newspapers anymore but for me the same argument still applies. Air gun magazines take a lot of knocking sometimes and to some extent they are a variation a theme, this said have a go at putting a monthly magazine together yourself, its far from easy. On a final note there is no substitute to getting a phone call from Terry Doe informing you you have won a prize, one definite advantage of the magazine

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Magazines

I simply prefer to read a printed version as I don't need to be glued to a screen and can do so relaxed and sitting in comfort.

Also, its far easier to pick up and put down then having to turn the 'puter off & on.

However, I alway take the reviews with a "big pinch of salt" on the basis bad reviews would endanger the reviewer being given anything else to review!

M.
    Why be awkward, when with a little bit of effort you can be really impossible!