Thread: Walther century zero problem ?.

Walther century zero problem ?.

Hi everyone, i have a .177 walther century that has scope zeroing problem that I've not come across before in that whatever scope/mounts I fit the elevation turret is very near to the bottom of its adjustment to obtain zero, other than that it's a very accurate rifle but I would obviously rather the adjustment be nearer to the middle. I was wondering if maybe this is normal for the century or maybe a problem with the barrel alignment of my particular rifle, maybe some fellow century owners could could advise if they have noticed the same problem...Thanks...Lewis...

New or second hand. Points to the barrel being bent upwards slightly. I have only come across this once with a new HW99s though in the opposite direction which was fixed under warranty by Hull Cartridge.

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by JLB View Post
    ...Points to the barrel being bent upwards slightly....
    If this is the case then it could have been fired with the barrel in the open position...

It is possible to straighten the barrel if the bend isn't too extreme - is a cast to the barrel visible if you look along the gun from the side at about 30/40 degrees?
    Good deals with these members

Thanks for the replies, it was bought second hand from my local gunshop and looks like new, I would have thought firing with the barrel open would have caused catastrophic damage and there isn't a mark around the breech area so hopefully not that. Looking through and alongside the barrel doesn't reveal anything untoward but with the scope turret set halfway through its travel its Shooting six inches high at 10 yards...

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by elewis411 View Post
    Thanks for the replies, it was bought second hand from my local gunshop and looks like new, I would have thought firing with the barrel open would have caused catastrophic damage and there isn't a mark around the breech area so hopefully not that. Looking through and alongside the barrel doesn't reveal anything untoward but with the scope turret set halfway through its travel its Shooting six inches high at 10 yards...
    Do you have a longish spirit level or straightedge that you could lay along the the comp tube to see if the barrel is in line?

Firing with the barrel open is not always catastrophic, and it could also have been caused by letting go of the barrel partway through cocking.

If the barrel and comp tube are parralel, then I would say it's either the dovetail or the scope itself -have you tried another scope?
    Good deals with these members

It's very rare that I've had a gun/scope which doesn't need shimming. Usually because I can't get enough elevation though.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by LESS THAN FORTUITOUS KENNETH View Post
    It's very rare that I've had a gun/scope which doesn't need shimming. Usually because I can't get enough elevation though.
    Same here, the problems I have had before were always not enough elevation but this one's the other way around and I've tried 3 different scopes and three different mounts. The gunshop are willing to take it back but I get on well with the rifle and it's really accurate so maybe I should leave it as is..

NewPaul is online now Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    Have you considered a droop compensating mount ? Something like this:

http://www.tacticalscope.co.uk/hawke...ing-2003-p.asp

I had one for a HW90 and it seems to work well, mind you, I discovered eventually that the barrel on my 90 was shagged. With these mounts you are adjusting the whole scope in an 'even' line/plane if you know what I mean ? Saves shimming which I personally don't particularly like to do if I can help it.
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

i have the same issue!

Quote Originally Posted by elewis411 View Post
    Hi everyone, i have a .177 walther century that has scope zeroing problem that I've not come across before in that whatever scope/mounts I fit the elevation turret is very near to the bottom of its adjustment to obtain zero, other than that it's a very accurate rifle but I would obviously rather the adjustment be nearer to the middle. I was wondering if maybe this is normal for the century or maybe a problem with the barrel alignment of my particular rifle, maybe some fellow century owners could could advise if they have noticed the same problem...Thanks...Lewis...
    i have exactly the same problem with mine which i bought second hand a couple months back. I had my local gun shop make a few enquiries (he offfered actually) and the response back from (frontier fire arms i think are the national Aus importer) that when people de-cock the gun, they break the barrel and pull the trigger but don't hold the barrel, thus the barrel flings up rapidly and slightly bends upwards. apparently somewhat a common issue but can be rectified by having the barrel straightened.

sorry not sorry but was relieved to see i was not the only one with this issue with this rifle!!! i bought a new scope mount and a new scope which fixed nothing so wasted $$'s there

Anyway i'm going to be taking my rifle down to pine river gunsmiths and going to let them have a crack at it because i am over it!!

I had the same problem on my Walther Century, bought 2nd hand 3 weeks ago.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....e-on-air-rifle

Fitted a Sportsmatch adjustable mount and now all good.