Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New British Made Air Rifle

The British guns' dominance of the UK market was eroded by the BSFs, HW35, and Diana "Original" 35, in the 1950s-60s and to a lesser extent the Anschutz 335 (early 70s). The 70s also saw them lose the 10M target market to recoilless Dianas and FWBs - things like the Osprey Supertarget and Mercury target were risible by comparison.

They were then absolutely hammered by the arrival in rapid succession of the FWB Sport (1974?), "Original" Diana 45 (1978), and HW80 (1980-81). And that was exactly when Airgun World magazine arrived, transforming the information - and mail-order choice - available to the average airgunner.

And the arrival of the HW77 in 1984/5 was the coup de grace.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    So you want a Birmingham-made walnut Webley Longbow, except you want to buy it in return for testicles?
    Oddly enough, the longbow seems to have sort of passed me by. The introduction of the HW80 seemed to outshine any previous rifle and the idea of rifles never really attracted me until the TX200 came along. Maybe I do need a Brummie longbow.
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    Oddly enough, the longbow seems to have sort of passed me by. The introduction of the HW80 seemed to outshine any previous rifle and the idea of rifles never really attracted me until the TX200 came along. Maybe I do need a Brummie longbow.
    It was only made from 2002-5, when almost everyone was into PCPs, so easy to miss.

If Webley had not gone bust in 2005, I'd wager it would still be in production, and popular.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    It was only made from 2002-5, when almost everyone was into PCPs, so easy to miss.

If Webley had not gone bust in 2005, I'd wager it would still be in production, and popular.
    You've got to admit the Webley Venom Sidewinder compact was a thing of beauty and probably shot sublime, I had a SFS tuned Longbow and that was lovely but like we all do, I sold it on for the next attraction.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

That made me laugh. But it's true. The Mercury is quite nice in some respects but was just not as good as it's slightly more expensive German competition in the 70s and 80s.

Hope your move north is treating you well.
    Likewise, Al.

I hadn't spotted thst you had moved until I saw this.

Hope all is good.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    I think you maybe confusing the Meteor.
    All the Mercury variants were blued. My later mk5 then an S then 635 all out shot my 35 in power terms and accuracy ...even if that record trigger was always better.
    There was little doubting the more solid build of the 35 though...
    FWB probably killed it but the 77 certainly did.
    I had forgotten the Omega ....never owned one .
    Nope, sorry Clarky, slightly out on the Mercury there.

Mine had, as Alistair described, the black painted finish (not a problem with that) and the slabby sided school desk look-a-like stock. Don't know what "Mark" it was, and I DID love the rifle at the time.

The Challenger which I later owned was altogether different and much more nicely finished. Blued metalwork and the lovely, curvy stock in dark finish.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Nope, sorry Clarky, slightly out on the Mercury there.

Mine had, as Alistair described, the black painted finish (not a problem with that) and the slabby sided school desk look-a-like stock. Don't know what "Mark" it was, and I DID love the rifle at the time.

The Challenger which I later owned was altogether different and much more nicely finished. Blued metalwork and the lovely, curvy stock in dark finish.
    Hang on, someones hacked Tony's account, this must be an imposter as Tony would never say those things

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Hang on, someones hacked Tony's account, this must be an imposter as Tony would never say those things

Pete
    Jokes apart i must have missed the none blued version then.

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    They were featured in AGW a while back. As for new airguns, I am of the opinion that the UK sub 12 law is killing the industry.

A.G
    Spot on. Do I need a 30 ft/lb gun - yes please. Do I need another 12 ft/lb gun -------nah.

British Air Rifle

It's down to the powers at be!!! When Webley were going to produce the longbow a Mr Hancock suggested a slight longer cylinder, so smaller than a Tommy but bigger than a longbow...he got shot down in flames by the webley top brass...what did Ivan know??? So folks if he had his way...a British Break barrel in between a Tommy and a Longbow may have just been something about right? Mach 1.5

Webley

Ah a Webley Venom Sidewinder a thing of joy one of my all time favourite air rifles sadly for me sold along with all of my air rifle collection started collecting in 1978 until 1987 when like a fool I got married.
    What a mistake that was married two weeks before a NI tour missed my R&R thanks to a bloody court case in province returned home four and a bit months later no wife no car no bank account no rifles even the guns in the gun safe were sold evil cow. The only bit of satisfaction was that Mr Plod had her for having the centre fire and rim fire rifles away.

Motto of the story never trust a women with your treasured positions I re-married in 91 and made dammed sure that when I went away all my babies went to Familie just in case. Only when I left the forces did all my babies come home to stay which caused a few issues with the ammount and still does.

I would love a truly British company to make a break barrel I'm fed up with the clinical German stuff the cheap and cheerful Turkish stuff. Dnt get me started on Gamo even worce. Daystate not even a British company any more all they do is assemble the guns from imports dnt get me wrong I love them once they have been back to get the normal leaks and low power sorted and own a fair few.

The killer is America our little 12lb rifles have zero interest to them all they care about is power and more power and no matter what a springer is in now way going to keep them happy and the UK well yes they would sell but in only low amounts you could build a properly machined rifle for say £400 that would just about break even until the bean counters get involved and the well machined parts vanish to be replaced by cheap Chinese ones and bobs your uncle a crap rifle appears.

We at one point dominated the world with our machine know how until the 70s when every thing went tits up and the slow move from producer to importer started add in the stupid strikes week in week out.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post

Pete
    I shall investigate, Pete!

P.S.....once I got my FWB 127 and second HW35 (I was 14/15 when I got my first one and it was too much of a lump at that time), the Mercury didn't get a look in, except as a close range rat mangler with its Singlepoint sight.

When I part exchanged it (for my first '80, I think), I left the Singlepoint sight on it, as the novelty factor of the sight sufficiently distracted the shop owner from the mega sloppy breech! It had been nipped up in the vice many times by then and was looser than a loose thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    It's down to the powers at be!!! When Webley were going to produce the longbow a Mr Hancock suggested a slight longer cylinder, so smaller than a Tommy but bigger than a longbow...he got shot down in flames by the webley top brass...what did Ivan know??? So folks if he had his way...a British Break barrel in between a Tommy and a Longbow may have just been something about right? Mach 1.5
    As a Venom fan, this is very sad news.

Plonkers!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I shall investigate, Pete!

P.S.....once I got my FWB 127 and second HW35 (I was 14/15 when I got my first one and it was too much of a lump at that time), the Mercury didn't get a look in, except as a close range rat mangler with its Singlepoint sight.

When I part exchanged it (for my first '80, I think), I left the Singlepoint sight on it, as the novelty factor of the sight sufficiently distracted the shop owner from the mega sloppy breech! It had been nipped up in the vice many times by then and was looser than a loose thing!
    PHEW! he's back, now I know this is the right Tony

Let normal service continue

Pete

And I did really like the Airsporter (carbine?) that Joffy brought to the Bash. Not sure what series it is, but it has a beautiful, shapely stock and has the feel of a true sporting rifle. Lovely thing.

But keep that quiet, okay?