Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: New British Made Air Rifle

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    And I did really like the Airsporter (carbine?) that Joffy brought to the Bash. Not sure what series it is, but it has a beautiful, shapely stock and has the feel of a true sporting rifle. Lovely thing.

But keep that quiet, okay?

DAMN IT! He's been hacked again

Or maybe he's Bipolar

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I am about to wake the pesky kids up now, Pete, and interrogate them one by one.

I WILL get to the bottom of this!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I am about to wake the pesky kids up now, Pete, and interrogate them one by one.

I WILL get to the bottom of this!
    Good man, they need to be whipped to within an inch of their lives for even suggesting anything British, especially in your household

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I had better not tell them about the Wobbly Tempest then, Pete.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I had better not tell them about the Wobbly Tempest then, Pete.
    Whilst you're flogging the kids give yourself a few lashes mate

Anyway enough of this Tomfoolery, haven't you got a boinger bash to bang on about.

Pete

I think the only hope of a British built quality break barrel is Air Arms. They already make the fantastic TX200, they have a clear gap in their range, they made the Pro-Elite which although not successful is held in regard now. It's not going to be £350 of course but they want to be above that end or the market.

So why not let Air Arms know by sending an email to their customer services?

I have a feeling Air Arms are already quite tired of people like us urging them to make a premium 12ft/lbs break-barrel.

On the other hand, it never hurts to try, and maybe some day they will.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    However reluctant they may be, I think Air Arms are our best hope when it comes down to it !
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    ...but in reality the Mercury and Mercury S would out shoot a then HW35 for fun.
    The std. Mercury had a much nicer shot cycle than the none tune technology for the 35 at that time and shooting at barely more than 10 ftlbs too.
    It was only the advent of the
    FWB Sport and later HW77 that saw off the Mercury S but it still had its fans.
    The BSF range are seen with rosey tinted specs....shockingly over sprung and poorly made triggers never really realised the outlandish claims made in AGW at the time.
    Still nice sleek and simple rifles all the same.
    Er, I have untouched leather pistoned washer HW35's that do way over 11ftlbs in .22. and not far behind in .177. So this myth of the 10ftlb HW35, still does the rounds and whilst my Mercury was a lovely handling gun, a short stint with a 35 changed my perception forever.

Basically the manufacturers were selling cheap airguns to the masses and couldn't keep up when we all gained a bit of sophistication and knowledge after the arrival of AGW, and enthusiasts like Eddie Barber, Les Wesley and D R Hughes showed us the way in the late 70's.
    Last edited by coburn; 19-04-2017 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I have a feeling Air Arms are already quite tired of people like us urging them to make a premium 12ft/lbs break-barrel.

On the other hand, it never hurts to try, and maybe some day they will.
    Hey we're only the people buying the things after all!

Never mind a new company, I think there would be a market for a new, high quality British break barrel from either the Air Arms or BSA stable. It wouldn't even need to be anything totally new or revolutionary, just a 25mm bore, sturdy barrel hinge and lock up and CD / Rekord stylee trigger and two latch rod lengths for UK / unlimited power markets....job done.
    And be price set to within £500...oh and have good quality open sights too.

If we are going to design a fantasy British break-barrel, while I would like it to have a trigger of the quality of the Rekord/CD, I would like a safety catch that comes on when the trigger is cocked, not slightly afterwards, is in the right place for easy use (protruding from the centre of the end cap) and that can be easily re-set?

And a scope-optimised stock, and an LW barrel.

Hm, what does that sound like?

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    If we are going to design a fantasy British break-barrel, while I would like it to have a trigger of the quality of the Rekord/CD, I would like a safety catch that comes on when the trigger is cocked, not slightly afterwards, is in the right place for easy use (protruding from the centre of the end cap) and that can be easily re-set?

And a scope-optimised stock, and an LW barrel.

Hm, what does that sound like?
    Either a Walther LGV or a Webley Longbow?

The only problem having a safety in the position you say or in the position like HW/AA have is they become a bit of a pain to flip off if you want to fit a thumbhole stock, I'd rather not have one.

Pete

If they could have knocked a couple of hundred quid off the Impact RM 100 would it have stole the show, at £595 i would still buy one i think they look stunning and would expect performance to match.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Either a Walther LGV or a Webley Longbow?

The only problem having a safety in the position you say or in the position like HW/AA have is they become a bit of a pain to flip off if you want to fit a thumbhole stock, I'd rather not have one.

Pete
    Yes, but the HW/AA safety is particularly poor ergonomically, whereas the options that actually work with a thumbhole are either poor mechanically (eg a simple trigger block cross bolt - which can be poor for lefties if not reversible) or in safety terms (those Gamo/Theoben/M-1 Garand things inside the trigger guard).

I agree on the wider point. If AA made a slightly longer Webley Longbow, I would definitely buy one. As would about 2-400 other people, most of whom are members on here. But after that, they would have a bunch of unsold rifles ready for "clearance special offers" at the big dealers. Which is what happened with the 12ft/lbs Tomahawk, and would have happened to the Longbow if Webley had not gone belly-up in 2005.