Thread: In praise of the pistol scope

In praise of the pistol scope

I know some people knock them for how they can upset the balance, compactness or 'purity' of a pistol and pistol shooting but I feel as though the AGS 2x20 LER pistol scope (available from our sponsor for just £30) was one of the best purchases I've ever made. It sits atop a lovely fettled Benjamin EB22 with custom grips, trigger shoe, brass silencer adaptor and custom delrin silencer. Those familiar with this model will know how difficult the simple 'notch and post' iron sights can be to use, not least because the POI seems to extend outside of the range of adjustment on the sights (though I've heard this is quite common with this model).

Anyway, from what I thought was a modestly accurate plinker at best, the pistol scope has allowed me to squeeze out accuracy I never knew my little EB22 had. Rested, I've managed 1/2" groups at 20 yards; something I could never have dreamed of with the iron sights, while it's made both offhand and rested plinking of cans and my reset-able knockdown target at distances of up to 40 yards a really enjoyable challenge, where before I'd have been lucky if I got more than a couple of cans from a whole co2

The pistol scope has really opened up a different side of shooting that I hadn't experienced before, namely, long range pistol plinking. For my money, it's just so much more precise than a red dot, let alone iron sights and it brings the challenge of long range rifle shooting to my back garden through understanding holdover and pellet drop (which can be several inches at 40 yards). Plus, when you do hit your mark, I find it a lot more satisfying than rifle shooting mainly because of how the punishing offhand pistol shooting can be.

For anyone interested I did a whole load of pellet testing with this pistol and found H&N Sniper Magnums (formerly Defiant Ogives I believe) to be the most accurate by a fair margin with the good old Hobby coming in second (again another surprise after testing most of the premium domed pellets).

Interested to hear of anyone else's experience with the pistol scope, what you use them on or whether you hate them entirely

Hate them. If you want to shoot pistol for the challenge then why make it easier ? Just go back to benchrest rifles.

Kinda tongue in cheek.

I hate them too, in general.

However, I have a .20" Crosman SSP-250, and a Weaver 1.5-4x20 that are probably made for each other. Will give it a go soon.

So, I hate them, except on big long heavy pistols that are probably best used rested and slow, rather than handheld and quick.

But iron sights are no bar to good pistol shooting at range. Unfortunate that the Benji/Sheri EB ones are so poor.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    I had one on an Alecto, and it certainly helped get the most out of it accuracy-wise, to the extent that I would almost have considered using it for pest control at short ranges.
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by mikehill View Post
    Hate them. If you want to shoot pistol for the challenge then why make it easier ? Just go back to benchrest rifles.

Kinda tongue in cheek.
    I'm in two minds about this. I still have young eyes and I just struggle to see how you could see a 2 inch reset-able target at 40 yards with iron sights so that you could hit it consistently. I imagine there are a handful of people who can do it but I don't think I'll ever get close to that level (cans at 30 yards with the pistol scope still present a reasonable challenge at the moment) and if I'm honest I feel like I'd have to see it to believe it haha

For me, the pistol scope provides just the right level of challenge and satisfaction for long range shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I hate them too, in general.

However, I have a .20" Crosman SSP-250, and a Weaver 1.5-4x20 that are probably made for each other. Will give it a go soon.

So, I hate them, except on big long heavy pistols that are probably best used rested and slow, rather than handheld and quick.

But iron sights are no bar to good pistol shooting at range. Unfortunate that the Benji/Sheri EB ones are so poor.
    Ditto above... please report back how you find it. As it happens I actually really like the look of a pistol scope on a nice pistol - each to their own I guess

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    I had one on an Alecto, and it certainly helped get the most out of it accuracy-wise, to the extent that I would almost have considered using it for pest control at short ranges.
    Yeah I imagine the combination of the Alecto's trigger and recoil-less firing cycle would have made it a lovely pairing. I don't want to open a can of worms with the whole pistols for pest control but needless to say I think that inside around 7-8 yards they are more than adequate with practice where sub 1/2" groups are not at all difficult (provided they have ample power of course). It goes without saying to use a rifle where possible but sometimes e.g. inside a loft or shed that just isn't practical.

Of course I only paper punch at 10m ... and the one mouse