Thread: Did i Win or Lose?

Did i Win or Lose?

reading the local classifides last night and see a add for a FWB model 65 for sale not much info in it and not being a pistol shooter other than my 44 mag and colt delta elite 10mm i think maybe i can get it and sale it on or trade for some thing i like. mostly BSA and Diana spring guns. so i call the guy and set up a meeting and today go to meet him. he has a very nice boxed FWB 65 and want $200 for it. i talk him down to $140 then he says i have a rifle to with me and pulls out a FWB 300 in mint condition. out comes the poker face and start down playing both guns saying they are not powerful enuff to hunt anything and they are so old they mite break easy. now this guy did not know what he had or what they are really worth and buys in to my lowballing long story short i walk away with both guns for the grand sum of $280 US i kinda felt bad but not really the guy was looking at me like i was crazy for paying that much and thought he was getting a sucker. maybe this will make up for over paying on my Diana 46ST. what do you guys think witch one of us made out better???
    Aint no fun when the rabbits got the gun

Quote Originally Posted by charlie350 View Post
    reading the local classifides last night and see a add for a FWB model 65 for sale not much info in it and not being a pistol shooter other than my 44 mag and colt delta elite 10mm i think maybe i can get it and sale it on or trade for some thing i like. mostly BSA and Diana spring guns. so i call the guy and set up a meeting and today go to meet him. he has a very nice boxed FWB 65 and want $200 for it. i talk him down to $140 then he says i have a rifle to with me and pulls out a FWB 300 in mint condition. out comes the poker face and start down playing both guns saying they are not powerful enuff to hunt anything and they are so old they mite break easy. now this guy did not know what he had or what they are really worth and buys in to my lowballing long story short i walk away with both guns for the grand sum of $280 US i kinda felt bad but not really the guy was looking at me like i was crazy for paying that much and thought he was getting a sucker. maybe this will make up for over paying on my Diana 46ST. what do you guys think witch one of us made out better???
    You definitely won there.

Airguns just don't seem to be valued that highly in the 'states - I guess because they are still seen by most shooters as 'toys' - so it doesn't altogether surprise me that there are real bargains to be had.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

The guilt should keep you awake for several nights at least!

You got an incredible bargain,at least by UK prices for those two beauties!

As you obviously know, you did extremely well, although these were such successful guns in their day that there were a huge number made.

Personally I have little sympathy for the seller, because a quick internet search of the classifieds would have given him a rough idea of values.

You never know, you may be so impressed with your purchases that you'll want to keep them.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I think you got stung

He didn't have a Tell 3 laying around?

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    He didn't have a Tell 3 laying around?
    No but he does have a mint FWB 124 and a barnnet spitfire that is if i remember right is a webley viscount? i am going to pick up tomorrow for $170 US for both of them

No but he does have a mint FWB 124 and a barnnet spitfire that is if i remember right is a webley viscount? i am going to pick up tomorrow for $170 US for both of them
    You're just teasing us now, right?

Barnett Spitfire is a Webley Tracker, usually with different (odd) open sights.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    You're just teasing us now, right?

Barnett Spitfire is a Webley Tracker, usually with different (odd) open sights.
    very serious i asked him to look around to see if he had any more airguns. it seems his sisters husbend was really into comp shooting and all he bought was high end 10m airguns. and the guy whom i am buying them from knows nothing about airguns ans is a ex cop and is just into the big guns. in fact i met him at cableas to do the deal and seen him later in the check out spending the money i gave him on a whole cart of ammo for his big guns as i bought one tin of pellets also dont know much about the tracker are they any good?

very serious i asked him to look around to see if he had any more airguns. it seems his sisters husbend was really into comp shooting and all he bought was high end 10m airguns. and the guy whom i am buying them from knows nothing about airguns ans is a ex cop and is just into the big guns. in fact i met him at cableas to do the deal and seen him later in the check out spending the money i gave him on a whole cart of ammo for his big guns as i bought one tin of pellets also dont know much about the tracker are they any good?
    They are more fun/cool than good. About 10 ft/lbs, rather harsh firing cycle, typical mediocre Webley trigger, typical excellent Webley fit and finish.

Worth a lot more, including in the US, than you are paying for it, assuming it is in decent condition. Ditto the Feinwerkbau (especially if it is Beeman marked).

On my limited knowledge of the US market, you have just scored $1000-1500 worth of classic airguns for $450.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    They are more fun/cool than good. About 10 ft/lbs, rather harsh firing cycle, typical mediocre Webley trigger, typical excellent Webley fit and finish.

Worth a lot more, including in the US, than you are paying for it, assuming it is in decent condition. Ditto the Feinwerkbau (especially if it is Beeman marked).

On my limited knowledge of the US market, you have just scored $1000-1500 worth of classic airguns for $450.
    i am thinking around $1900 worth for $450 the 3 FWBs will sell for no less than $500 each and there is the same barnett spitfire for sale on the yellow now for $450 not sure he will get the whole $450 for it thou. i will keep the 124 for my ownself have wanted one for some time now

The guy was happy, you are happy.

Fine guns you bought. More importantly fine guns to shoot. First two: Designed to shoot short range, and for that were the state of the art of their day. In truth they will outshoot the shooter even today unless of Olympic standard. Second two: for farmyard critters at farmyard ranges. Most interesting to master but a lot of fun doing so.
    What joy.
    Lastly, in ten years time you can still sell them for a profit.