Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ProSport - to de twang or not.....

ProSport - to de twang or not.....

I have a dilemma:

I have an AA TX 200 HC Mk 3 - with a V-Mach kit fitted - feels great, No twang at all, shot cycle great and groups well, Very well indeed....but not as accurate as my ProSport, albeit, 'straight out of the box & bog standard' and with a slight twang.

I don't want to ruin an exceptionally accurate ProSport for the sake a the twang reduction.

BTW both in 0.177 flavour and only used for tin chickens.

Any ideas?

Cheers Steve

Mmmm......toughie, that one......

The twang certainly won't harm the gun and, as you say, you're happy with the performance.

But then, having shot twang free rifles, this may always cause slight annoyance.

Maybe, especially as they're so easy to work on, I'd be tempted to de-twang. But then, having said that, I own several HWs that I've never touched internally, so I know where you're coming from. One of them being my super-accurate .177 HW99. Only a slight twang, not too annoying and the shot cycle is lovely, so leaving alone for now.

And my '98 is very twangy. But I haven't used it in ages and it so accurate and forgiving as it is. Maybe a candidate for future fettle.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Just get Tinbum to make you a delrin guide to match your spring, fit it and if it improves even better, if it doesn't then just put the current one back in, only a few quid lost and ten minutes fitting it, i have a delrin kit in my Prosport and it's still accurate as hell with no twang.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

De twang the bugger is there anything worse than a twangy rifle ? I think not

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    Yep, I can think of a hell of a lot of things that are worse, Dave.

Always nicer de-twanged, though.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Many thanks Gents

The ProSport is the only untouched rifle I've got ( and I have a couple ) and apart from the twang its bang on the money when it comes to accuracy and feel.

I shall ruminate on getting a 'fitted' spring guide as I'm terrified of loosing anything apart from the twang.

Cheers

Steve

De twang it, the rifle is fundamentally accurate anyway so changing the internals a little will not do any harm at all.

It will simply get rid of the noise that has been nagging at you so no down side, four bolts and a bit of Delrin and you are in twang free heaven. While you are at it swap the nasty AA seal for a lovely Vortek O Ring and Bob's yer uncle even better.

Go on, you know you want to

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    I always draw the line at irreversible changes to my springers.
    I have a short stroked TX but 10 minutes could see it returned to the original set up

Pete
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    Yep, a pinging PCP...

Or should I have said a 'PCP' pinging or otherwise...

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Caleb View Post
    While you are at it swap the nasty AA seal for a lovely Vortek O Ring and Bob's yer uncle even better.
    Strangely enough that's what I've done but I have put a complete delrin kit in with a different spring as well, so also getting rid of the over heavy piston weight, I do have to admit the Vortek O ring seal is good.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Mine did twang a touch out of the box. One of Tbs guides and top hats sorted it out. Later I dropped a Vrotek kit in it which trnsformed the firing cycle. Changing the guide and the top hat will not adversely affect accuracy if the guns power is kept in check.

A.G

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Get tinbum to make up a spring guide for your spring. It will stop the twang and more likely than not make it MORE accurate than before - although this might only be detectable at 55 yards in still air.

Do what your Auntie Pete says for heaven's sake!

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Do what your Auntie Pete says for heaven's sake!
    Oi! less of the blaspheming, it's easter don't you know

Pete

i have a Pro Sport that despite a TbT kit and a new Titan spring still had a bit of a twang, it was still devastatingly accurate though. This afternoon I managed to squeeze in a sleeve fashioned from a pop can and twang appear to be no more.
    Hence, if you've got a metal can and an hour to spare it might be worth a go.
    Regards,
    Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by The Squire View Post
    i have a Pro Sport that despite a TbT kit and a new Titan spring still had a bit of a twang, it was still devastatingly accurate though. This afternoon I managed to squeeze in a sleeve fashioned from a pop can and twang appear to be no more.
    Hence, if you've got a metal can and an hour to spare it might be worth a go.
    They either use whatever spring they have at hand at the AA factory and we know that some of them have different wire gauges or the inside of the piston is machined differently each time. I can't even get a 0.1mm thick paper inside the cylinder even if the spring is not compressed.

A.G