Thread: "The Air Gun as a Serious Weapon" by H Marks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

"The Air Gun as a Serious Weapon" by H Marks

There is a listing on the UK bay (252497412098 ) for a 1906 magazine that includes the article "The Air Gun as a Serious Weapon" by H Marks secretary of the society of miniature rifle clubs.

Have no idea if this is a known item to the BSA collectors community.

Thanks Dean,

This article was originally published in Fry's magazine and was an excellent contemporary review of the BSA,Britannia and Millita air rifles. WHB Smith used the images in his Gas Air & Spring Guns of the world book in 1957.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Thanks Dean,

This article was originally published in Fry's magazine and was an excellent contemporary review of the BSA,Britannia and Millita air rifles. WHB Smith used the images in his Gas Air & Spring Guns of the world book in 1957.

John
    He also used the word 'weapon' which earned me a reprimand on here.

Still, what did they know? Just guessing most of the time.....

ATB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Quote Originally Posted by walnutfarmmick View Post
    He also used the word 'weapon' which earned me a reprimand on here.

Still, what did they know? Just guessing most of the time.....

ATB, Mick
    An airgun is a weapon, something designed to cause bodily harm or damage, id say an airgun falls into that catagory.
    I know where people are coming from, to serious airgun users they're not weapons as you imagine a weapon something that is used against people, our quarry has a body also and an airgun will cause damage, a knife is a weapon and a bow or crossbow, they're designed for that purpose, to use a thing as a weapon is different, a brick or a lump of wood can become a weapon but a gun will always be a weapon.

Weapons Vs Airguns

....everybody but us ageing semi retired old boys consider Airguns now as Airw.....s
    Actually its always been that way since these booklets and others were printed over 100 years ago .
    Today speak to people outside our own cosey little world of pellets tins , old catalogues and Horlicks and all Airguns are classed legally as Firearms .

Hard to believe a Gat pop out is a firearm .
    Not fair as they are classed as low power airw.....s , upsets our sensibilities but reality since 1968 and then 1969 with Mr Willie Whitelaws 'especially powerful Airw.....s amendment Bill .

Walnutfarmmick - some very very stupid people allowed to play with Airw.....s these days ( said tongue in cheek )
    Last edited by Jimny4x4; 22-04-2017 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by buttloaves View Post
    An airgun is a weapon, something designed to cause bodily harm or damage, id say an airgun falls into that catagory.
    I know where people are coming from, to serious airgun users they're not weapons as you imagine a weapon something that is used against people, our quarry has a body also and an airgun will cause damage, a knife is a weapon and a bow or crossbow, they're designed for that purpose, to use a thing as a weapon is different, a brick or a lump of wood can become a weapon but a gun will always be a weapon.
    I have to disagree with you, my friend. I've just eaten my dinner and there's no way the knife I used was a weapon.

Airguns may look like weapons, but that doesn't mean they are weapons, although it certainly suits some people to blur the distinction.

A match airgun is not designed to cause bodily harm or damage to anything other than a paper target.

Whether a device used to kill small mammals and birds can ever be classified as a weapon (assuming we are not talking about a Girandoni) is open for debate. The word is more properly reserved for human targets.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Salamander is offline The bbs' most interfered with member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimny4x4 View Post
    .... but reality since 1968 and then 1969 with Mr Willie Whitelaws 'especially powerful Airw.....s amendment Bill .

Willie Whitelaw wasn't Home Secretary in 1968 or 1969. Labour were in power then and Jim Callaghan was Home Secretary. Whitelaw had nothing to do with changes to the law on firearms.
    That mod from Yns Mon's been interfering with me.