Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
Does it matter anymore?

By which I mean that it's clear that 100+ years ago, "weapon" did not carry the negative connotation that it does now.

But not that long ago, "gun" did not have a negative connotation.

Look at any recent newspaper and it's clear that gun = bad dangerous hurty/killy thing.

Ditto on "knife crime", which ought more properly to be called something like "stabby/slashy/hacky crime involving bladed object". But that doesn't work in a press release or headline. So knife = bad thing, not knife = everyday tool.

I will continue to call guns guns, and reserve "weapon" for items designed or regularly used for anti-personnel use. But I don't think the general populace not familiar with shooting make any emotional distinction between gun, rifle, pistol, weapon, firearm or whatever.

So this is a debate we have among ourselves without significant effect beyond our community.
I think you make a very good point and you're right, this is really a debate only of importance to us, while 'out there' the debate has moved on without us.

But equally I don't think we should feel obliged to adopt language based on fear and ignorance, or give ground that rightfully should never have been conceded in the first place.

Just because many (urban) people see anything gun-shaped as 'bad' and by definition a 'weapon' doesn't mean we have to go along with it.

If plinking with an airgun is equated in the public mind with warfare, that's their problem, not mine.