Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LGV Low on Power

LGV Low on Power

Hi Chaps

Just got my LGV out for hunting, not used it since the beginning of winter and it's really quite low on power.

When i bought it new last year it was averaging 10ftlb so I added some preload and got it up to 11 but now it's gone right down to 10ftlb again.

I don't want to keep adding preload but can anyone suggest a solution?

I've tried tracking down a new spring but cannot find an official one.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Rob

Can't help you with the problem I'm afraid.

You can buy the 12fpe spring from that German retailer for about 11 euros.

In order to make the postage cost worthwhile, you could add a couple of tins of pellets. JSB for example are cheaper than in the UK.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Thank you Arthur, I'll look them up.

I can't seem to get on that site for some reason, anyone know if it's down?

Any ideas as to where I can get an OEM spring from? I would have thought spares would be easily available?

imorik is offline I stick my head out and take it on the chin.
    http://www.sportwaffen-schneider.de/...ducts_id/27690

Isn't it caused by transfer port being too small or is that just the LGU
    AA TX200 MK2 .177, MK3 Barrel, long stroked & shortened T/P
    AA TX200 MK3 HC .177, 22mm internals, shortened T/P
    http://www.anstonftc.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by imorik View Post
    http://www.sportwaffen-schneider.de/...ducts_id/27690

Isn't it caused by transfer port being too small or is that just the LGU
    Perfect, thank you.

If it was the TP then surely this would be happening with everyone?

I bloody hope not because sticking in kits and springs is the limit of my tinkering!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    The TP is much longer on the LGV, so much less of an issue than the short LGU port - in fact, the LGV's is probably abourt right, given you are stuck with that excessive 26mm length...

Wonky Donkey has excellent springs for these.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    The TP is much longer on the LGV, so much less of an issue than the short LGU port - in fact, the LGV's is probably abourt right, given you are stuck with that excessive 26mm length...

Wonky Donkey has excellent springs for these.
    Phew, thanks Jon, that's a relief. I'll contact Wonky Donkey.
    Last edited by RobJ; 17-04-2017 at 12:41 PM.

Update!

Well Dave doesn't make the LGV spec spring anymore so I ended up on that German site and ordered the 16j spring that also came with a guide, some small washers and some grease.

When I opened it I didn't think the guide would fit in the spring it was that tight. I got it in, then I couldn't pull it out, not even with pliers!! Luckily there was enough clearance to fit it in the trigger unit, get some abbey gun grease on the spring and retest.

The fact that the original guide would allow the original spring to easily slide up and down yet this new set up was totally fixed, suggested something was different.

10 shot string, 6fps variation and averaging 11.5, not a buzz or twang or anything other than a single ' thwock' on firing! This is how the rifle should have been (and it was still the most accurate springer I had shot!).

I will monitor the power closely as it beds in but what a change. I only wish Umerex did spares in the UK because while it was cheaper than a UK drop in kit, it still set me back £34 to get it here.

I've got the original LGV spring spare if anyone wants it gratis! Drop me a PM.

ATB
    Rob

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Good result. Remember also that with a little preload the spring will expand around the guide, and even more so when cocked, so it won't be as tight as it is "uncompressed". But it does sounds a little too tight though. However if it shoots sweet, and is accurate, job done
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I seem to remember someone else having the same issue, but LGU and not LGV, and putting it down to a bad batch of springs / variable quality thereof?

Glad you're sorted and happy, Rob.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by RobJ View Post
    Well Dave doesn't make the LGV spec spring anymore so I ended up on that German site and ordered the 16j spring that also came with a guide, some small washers and some grease.

When I opened it I didn't think the guide would fit in the spring it was that tight. I got it in, then I couldn't pull it out, not even with pliers!! Luckily there was enough clearance to fit it in the trigger unit, get some abbey gun grease on the spring and retest.

The fact that the original guide would allow the original spring to easily slide up and down yet this new set up was totally fixed, suggested something was different.

10 shot string, 6fps variation and averaging 11.5, not a buzz or twang or anything other than a single ' thwock' on firing! This is how the rifle should have been (and it was still the most accurate springer I had shot!).

I will monitor the power closely as it beds in but what a change. I only wish Umerex did spares in the UK because while it was cheaper than a UK drop in kit, it still set me back £34 to get it here.

I've got the original LGV spring spare if anyone wants it gratis! Drop me a PM.

ATB
    Rob
    Rob got a couple or 3 of these kit springs here if you have any more issues.

Quote Originally Posted by hmangphilly View Post
    Rob got a couple or 3 of these kit springs here if you have any more issues.
    Thanks Phil, that's kind of you. Hopefully it's problem solved now, as long as it doesn't go the other way!

Update!

So it's a few months and about 500 pellets later;

Remember the new spring from Germany was running at 11.8, was tight round the guide and the shot cycle was great.

Just chrono'd again today after putting on a new scope so I can calibrate everything in chairgun and low and behold it's averaging 9.8 ft-lb !!! What is going on with these LGV springs?

I'm using a combro but I've never had problems with that before.

I've had no reply from Umerex from raising the problem with the original spring so I'm not holding out much hope.

Such a shame as I just got the Rowan trigger breaking better than a Rekord!

Is it really now down to chucking in a load of preload?

lgv

perhaps the gun has used up the excess lube after fitting the new spring and guide and now the tightness is coming into play maybe