Thread: HW75 Performance restored

HW75 Performance restored

Seems HW have reverted to using the original valve seal on the 75 (the small white seal)
    The gun originally listed as being 440 fps....(actual 400 to 420 fps) pellet dependant until about 5 years ago when the performance suddenly nose dived to about 350 fps.
    Comparing early guns with newer ones i found the valve seal had changed on its inner diameter, being reduced by 2mm.
    However, opening up a brand new gun over the easter period revealled the original seal spec dimensions and a 415 fps gun with JSB exact....quite a heavy dome pellet.
    Its interesting that the 75 article in the latest Shooting Sports magazine tests a brand new 75 doing 400 fps with 8.44 g pellets.
    They are back to spec, outgunning the miserable FAS competitor by a full 50 to 60 fps and shading the HW40 usually running about 380 fps with most pellets.
    Quite why HW did this remains a mystery but i have mailed them regarding this.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Whilst its true the FAS competitor might like the extra 50 fps - I cannot see any of them trading the FAS trigger for the HW75's...I certainly wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Whilst its true the FAS competitor might like the extra 50 fps - I cannot see any of them trading the FAS trigger for the HW75's...I certainly wouldn't.
    Its a fair point buddy but have you tried the 75 trigger. It is very very good, being slightly better than the excellent trigger on the 40.
    It can achieve the same low pressure of pull but i would agree that it lacks the range of adjustment for positioning that can be achieved with the FAS.
    However, comparing like for like with say the sports grip FAS for informal target or garden shooting, the 75 is a better performer.
    The FAS is just too low in power IMO for clean cards and small knockdowns or spinners out to 15 yds.
    At least in std spec.
    We had a brand new one in last week doing barely 340 flps high.

Whilst the 75 is a bit tedious to operate I much prefer it to the FAs which is weedy overrated and expensive.
    I also don't get the Gamo Compact which many people like.

The trigger on my 75 is very good.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Whilst the 75 is a bit tedious to operate I much prefer it to the FAs which is weedy overrated and expensive.
    I also don't get the Gamo Compact which many people like.

The trigger on my 75 is very good.
    I agree with you on the Compact....that top lever wobbles about and the trigger is not in the same league as the 75...
    I do not find the 75 tedious though. Its just the same but with that great extra feature (IMO) of the hammer....
    You can slowly close the hammer to set the gun to safe and just simply cock it to go to fire without having to worry about safety catches and i generally find it quite a nice feature to have a functioning hammer rather than just being a false hammer release catch.
    Incidently i ran a piece of Crosman barrel through mine right to the true muzzle, being an extra 30 mm in length.....437 fps avg with Exacts.

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    Its a fair point buddy but have you tried the 75 trigger. It is very very good, being slightly better than the excellent trigger on the 40.
    It can achieve the same low pressure of pull but i would agree that it lacks the range of adjustment for positioning that can be achieved with the FAS.
    However, comparing like for like with say the sports grip FAS for informal target or garden shooting, the 75 is a better performer.
    The FAS is just too low in power IMO for clean cards and small knockdowns or spinners out to 15 yds.
    At least in std spec.
    Yep, I shot a FAS for quite a while and have tried two HW75's and while the triggers were not bad at all - neither were anywhere near the quality of the FAS.
    About 340 fps with match pellets sounds right on the money and Yes, its about the minimum you get away with - but it is only intended to be a precision 10m tool.
    If you get the adjustable grip model FAS that too is in a different league to the HW75.

But all that is made moot by the price of the HW75 which at nearly £300 is just too much when for £25 less you can get an Baikal IZH or MP-46M which is far better than either of them and about 40-50 fps faster than the HW75

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Yep, I shot a FAS for quite a while and have tried two HW75's and while the triggers were not bad at all - neither were anywhere near the quality of the FAS.
    About 340 fps with match pellets sounds right on the money and Yes, its about the minimum you get away with - but it is only intended to be a precision 10m tool.
    If you get the adjustable grip model FAS that too is in a different league to the HW75.

But all that is made moot by the price of the HW75 which at nearly £300 is just too much when for £25 less you can get an Baikal IZH or MP-46M which is far better than either of them and about 40-50 fps faster than the HW75
    On that one i would have to respectfully disagree.
    Just a personal choice but shared by a good number of my shooting fellows, that damn 46M is horrible.
    Its just too darn big and rangy in the hand. The grip just feels horrible. No chance of two hand isocolese hold if you want to do that and needs work.
    I like a gun to look nice too....it just dont....in no ones eyes.....ive seen better looking farm tools.

I agree with your points on the FAS....its a lovely looking and handling tool, as a pistol should be.
    Trigger is wonderful and with both sets of grip types it should cover all ylur aspects of shooting
    Its just so disappointing velocity wise. Right on tne edge of what is serviceable.
    Pellet choice critical because of it.
    Knock down fun....put it away it cant do it.

It's not a cowboy gun that's for sure...
    If you want to emulate Dirty Harry or Chief Wiggum - Yep, look elsewhere...

BUT if you want a supremely capable precision gun with real target grips and more poke than anything this side of a FWB100 then this would be your choice.
    They have quite a following, particularly in the US and unless you are Mick Gault it'll shoot as well as any Steyr or Morini if you do your part

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    At least in std spec.
    I had an HW 75 until a year ago, the trigger was one of the best there is.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEars View Post
    I had an HW 75 until a year ago, the trigger was one of the best there is.
    The trigger on the '45 is excellent too. I would buy a '75 without fail if it wasn't for that cheapening white safety scripture.