Thread: Webley Nemesis

Webley Nemesis

Hello all

Has anyone any opinions on this pistol? I'm considering getting one of these so the pros & cons, what to look for & how much I'm likely to have to pay would really assist.

All input gratefully received

Many thanks

Dave

Accurate but not v powerful.
    Better in .177.
    Pay £60 to £100.

cptman is offline Moody Git.........Apparently?
    I've got a .177, not overly powerful, quite accurate though (i was lucky enough to find a shoulder stock as well).
    On the down side the pistol grip is squarish and not particularly comfortable for prolonged shooting sessions.
    Overall worth getting one though.
    why is it there are more horses arses in the world than there are horses?

.177 only cal. worth getting. Power adequate for 10m plinking. Easy to cycle the top portion to charge the reservoir.

Accurate considering the non-ergonomic grip. Trigger okay.

Rearsight is very fragile and probably unavailable these days.

I enjoyed mine and so did Mrs. 71.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Funnily enough, I was going to say that they are quite powerful for a SSP...

Mine is a .177 and does about 420 fps or so with medium weight pellets which is pretty comparable to a Tempest anyway.
    The triggers are pretty good too after a little bit of tweaking.

Thanks all, that's helped, I appreciate it

I don't suppose anybody knows what issues of Airgun World or Air Gunner these were reviewed in back in the day do they? If I know i'll try & find them.

Many thanks

Dave
    Last edited by ETCHY; 18-04-2017 at 05:46 PM.

I'm a big fan of the nemesis. I've got both. 177 and. 22 models. Yes they're not anywhere near full power but that's not what they were designed for. They're a great pistol for plinking and even target shooting. I used to shoot mine in my clubs bell pistol league before I got my Alecto. They seem to sell around £70 to £90 in good used condition or mint boxed will fetch over £100. Anything under £70 I'd consider a bargain if fully working decent condition. Fully adjustable sights and adjustable 2 stage trigger, scope rail dovetails on top. The nemesis was also the last ever 'proper webley' pistol to be produced, made in England.

As the comments above, plus definately do the trigger mod' (fitting a much lighter trigger spring).

Then it's a decent pistol if you can cope with the rectangular grip.

Also in answer to your question, what to look out for?-check that when you load the gun it holds air pressure -if when you load it you can hear hissing then the nose seal inside may be perished -I had this problem with one of my nemesis but luckily all seals for this gun are still available and fairly easy to replace. The main problem I see a lot is the rear sight blade is often cracked/damaged as it's made of plastic and is often the part which breaks if the gun gets dropped. Good news is even these parts can be sourced easily and John knibbs also offer an aftermarket upgrade of a metal rear sight blade.

Quote Originally Posted by dougbunney View Post
    Also in answer to your question, what to look out for?-check that when you load the gun it holds air pressure -if when you load it you can hear hissing then the nose seal inside may be perished -I had this problem with one of my nemesis but luckily all seals for this gun are still available and fairly easy to replace. The main problem I see a lot is the rear sight blade is often cracked/damaged as it's made of plastic and is often the part which breaks if the gun gets dropped. Good news is even these parts can be sourced easily and John knibbs also offer an aftermarket upgrade of a metal rear sight blade.
    They are ok ...we have the odd one showing up at the pistol range now and again but i cannot think of any reason why you would not choose the HW40 over it.
    The 40s trigger is at least twice as good and it just seems to fit the hand better.
    Spares being up to the minute available and the top strap has none of the wiggle ive found in the Nemesis.
    As far as power goes the Nemesis is the Nemesis of the 40....its got the edge but not so you would notice.
    418 fps H&N excite versus 388 fps .....both results being averaged.
    It makes the Nemesis one of the most powerful of its type, being a good 50 fps more than the FAS 6004, 40 fps more than the Daisy and 25 fps more then the P17/ 40 variants.
    Only some specimens of HW 75 edge it .

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    They are ok ...we have the odd one showing up at the pistol range now and again but i cannot think of any reason why you would not choose the HW40 over it.
    The 40s trigger is at least twice as good and it just seems to fit the hand better.
    Spares being up to the minute available and the top strap has none of the wiggle ive found in the Nemesis.
    As far as power goes the Nemesis is the Nemesis of the 40....its got the edge but not so you would notice.
    418 fps H&N excite versus 388 fps .....both results being averaged.
    It makes the Nemesis one of the most powerful of its type, being a good 50 fps more than the FAS 6004, 40 fps more than the Daisy and 25 fps more then the P17/ 40 variants.
    Only some specimens of HW 75 edge it .
    I don't disagree with that. I would say the slightly extra oomph of the Nemesis is nice, especially in .22" - my FAS 604s feel anemic by comparison. I don't myself find the grip a problem, nor the trigger, though I have used better.

I like the Webley heritage and the sense that a used one won't lose value if looked after. If you get one and don't like it, it's easy to move on without losing money.

And unlike the recent HW40s, the Nemesis has proper plain black sights, not those fibre-optic things.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    The most important one of all!...Made in England

I do think that for me it being English & a Webley comes into it, I also like the rather blocky looks. I know the HW40 is probably the logical smart choice particularly as even new it's quite cheap but I just don't like the looks. Also having handled an HW40 in a gun shop it didn't appeal (the other half wasn't keen either), the Webley having more steel on it is also a factor.

I've never had a single stroke pneumatic (only had & fired springers before) so hopefully it would be a nice, slightly easier to cock bit of variety, that me & Soph' can enjoy in the garage plinking at targets etc

Cheers again for the help

Dave