Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HW30 k Advice Please

HW30 k Advice Please

A bit of advice would be appreciated please. I am looking at buying a HW 30 k, would it be better in .177 or .22, it would be used mainly for target shooting in the garden and may be close range rat shooting if the gun is up to it. Would be used by a junior shooter just starting shooting.

.22 for these tasks

higher power than .177 and more splatt for Mr Rat

I love mine.

PS Try RWS Hobbys.
    Ridiculosly accurate for a wadcutter..... 20 - 25 yds no problem, beyond if you're good.

Thank you, my apologies I've just noticed I have posted in the sales section, not sure how to move to general section

My .22 is running at about 8.5 ft lbs., .177 HW30s tend to run a bit less than this.
    Both calibres have enough power for target shooting and ratting in the average back garden.
    Both are accurate.
    Arguably the .22 is less jumpy.
    .22 has more clout, especially with hobbys due to their shape.

Do your rats sit still?
    Or are they twitchy and always on the move?
    If the latter, .22 hobbys and body shots may prove more effective for quick shots.

To request a move to the General board, scroll down to bottom Rt of page, contact us will get you to the Mods, who will oblige.

Happy shooting!

my 177 clocks 7.1 foot lbs
    very accurate,but the trigger reach is only 1 inch less than a HW99.
    depends how big junior is,my grandson is 11 average build and struggles on reach.

I fitted a Rowan extra set back trigger to mine.

The 30s is a super little rifle - though not too little for us big kids to enjoy using. My pal owns three of them, all .177, one of which I shoot on a regular basis. Between us, we have cleanly bagged rabbits, rats, woodies and squirrels at moderate ranges. I'd say go for the .177 - the higher velocity counts for more than the extra ft/lb where live quarry's involved, not to mention cheaper ammo...

The poster is asking about the 30K, like mine, with the shorter barrel, would that make a difference to fps & ft lbs in .22 or .177?

Don't know for sure, probably very little.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Riffler View Post
    Don't know for sure, probably very little.
    yeah, with such a small swept volume I can't see it costing any power - it may even gain a little...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Thanks for the help,

If it was my first rifle I would say go. 177 every time. Much easier.

As per all the above, the '30 is a terrific little rifle with lovely, refined firing cycle and excellent, easy-to-access accuracy.

However, and I don't know how much or little experience the youngster has, but before embarking on live quarry shooting, make sure he puts the practice in to ensure that he can hit the mark everytime. Even rats deserve a quick, clean kill (and the '30 is more than up to the job at sensible ranges) and you wouldn't want them to suffer a slow death or trail potentially lethal blood around the garden.

And "the mark" is the brain shot.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Thanks all for your options, seems quite divided down the middle .177 or .22, is there any more input please or I might just have to flick a coin.