Thread: Target pistol advice.

Target pistol advice.

As time goes by I'm finding myself using my old TauBruno TAU7 more than any of my section one guns. Theres slowly becoming quite a group down the range also
    going the same way with all sorts of pistols now in use. Hammerli, TauBruno mk08, Rhom and Walther to mention a few. Mine is co2 capsule powered and is fitted
    with largish grips. Its an accurate and reliable pistol giving approx 70 shots per capsule but i would like to replace it with something modern with smaller grips while
    i have the money available. Iv tried the ones mentioned and i do like the mk08 but me being me i don't like the idea of ordering a 650 gun without seeing or holding
    it in the flesh so to speak. Does anyone know of a good dealer within a hundred miles of Grantham who would hold a stock of different target pistols.?? Tim

Checkmate Guns is in Chorley, near Preston; 96 miles as the crow flies.

I'm sure there must be somewhere closer though?

Why do you want to replace it? If yr expecting higher scores, you might get disappointed. I've never shot any better with my Aeron or Morini pcp than I do with my Tau 7; in the 360s ex 400. The Tau 7 grips are about Medium size. If you need smaller (thinner) than AlfaProj or Steyr are yr bet. Both originally have pencil like thin grips
    The mk8 has been posted about recently on this forum if you do a search.
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by trick cyclist View Post
    Checkmate Guns is in Chorley, near Preston; 96 miles as the crow flies.

I'm sure there must be somewhere closer though?
    Many Thanks, will have a butchers. Tim

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    Why do you want to replace it? If yr expecting higher scores, you might get disappointed. I've never shot any better with my Aeron or Morini pcp than I do with my Tau 7; in the 360s ex 400. The Tau 7 grips are about Medium size. If you need smaller (thinner) than AlfaProj or Steyr are yr bet. Both originally have pencil like thin grips
    The mk8 has been posted about recently on this forum if you do a search.
    Hi, not necessarily expecting higher scores although i wouldn't complain. The grips are too big for me and i have a large dive bottle so wouldn't have to buy the capsules. As I'm getting
    older I'm finding i prefer air to live fire and like the precision of a target air pistol combined with the low sight picture. I got smashed up as a young un and am finding my shoulder
    weakening after only a couple of rounds. Also i have sold some of my section one stuff so want to get something lighter and non co2 before the money gets gobbled up else where.
    A guy at our club has an mk08 and another has a Walther which I'm hoping to blag a few goes with on Friday so at least i know what size grips to go for. Tim

Lighter can be hard. There are almost no brands with real junior guns. They shorten cilinder and barrel only and call that the junior..
    Tau was one of the only brands with REAL junior model which had been lightened every way possible, coming to a weight of only 725gr ish! (I have one).
    For a damaged shoulder a correct zero stance is also crucial, as is correct technique to come onto target (from above and no lifting). If these are not correct, you'll strain yr shoulder more than necessary.
    The Tau MK8, the normal version anyway, is very heavy. Wouldnt choose that one in yr case. Dont know about the mk8 junior (yet) but its as with all brands; only shorter barrel/cilinder (maybe alu cilinder instead of steel).
    The Alfa Proj has a thin grip too and is all alu so quite light. Wouldnt advise it in pcp though; its reservoir is too limited for a large amount of decent shots even with regulator.
    I'd look at morini, FWB and steyr too. I prefer those above walther (had an LP300xt, still have the morini).
    Aeron also has a pcp pistol the Spider, which also has very thin grips from factory. Its also far cheaper than steyr etc (just like the mk8) but it also has the same issues as the mk8. I had a Spider, still have the mk8 (for collection purposes only).
    If I must shoot a match, I pick my Tau 7 Match
    ATB,
    yana

Have you considered a Steyr LP2 Compact with a small grip?

This pistol weighs 960g (IMSMR) and is the highest quality design and build. Accuracy is way beyond my capabilities.
    I have one with a large grip and a Tec-hro trigger. It is awesome.

BigEars Guest
    Try a few at the club most of the good brands probably will outperform the owner but you won't regret buying a quality pistol.

I'd keep clear of Rohms though, they're no longer in production and the trigger on my old one couldn't be adjusted to anywhere near 500g.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post
    Have you considered a Steyr LP2 Compact with a small grip?

This pistol weighs 960g (IMSMR) and is the highest quality design and build. Accuracy is way beyond my capabilities.
    I have one with a large grip and a Tec-hro trigger. It is awesome.
    hi, yes love the look of the Steyr LP2 especially the compact. Problem is, finding somewhere that has one i can look at. All the dealers seem to buy them in
    as required which means parting with about 1200 without even seeing what your getting. Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tim56 View Post
    Does anyone know of a good dealer within a hundred miles of Grantham who would hold a stock of different target pistols.?? Tim
    Or visit your local friendly airgun club. At our club, most nights there is a mixture of Steyr, Walther, Benelli, Pardini, FWB etc. and the members only to keen to let you have a go with them.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk