Thread: Help valuing a Thunderbolt Junior pistol

Help valuing a Thunderbolt Junior pistol

Hi.
    I've owned this for roughly 10 years, never shot it as I have no idea how it works, is in very good condition and comes in a leather holster, am thinking of selling it and wondering what value it might be?

http://s349.photobucket.com/user/Zum...xasgg.jpg.html

http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q...psta7fj4sh.jpg

A scarce air pistol - circa 7000 made, looks in vgc and the grips look complete. £230 - £270 assuming it cocks.

How did you own it so long and never have a play with it

I can't work out how to cock it and don't want to damage it.

I guess you pull the trigger guard down.
    Nice little pistol.
    Bet it doesn't shoot like a Thunderbolt

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Hi l sold one in 2009 that was in poor condition and with replacement wooden grips in working order for £40. and sold another one in 2013 for £95 but it had repro grips and was not in as good as condition as your one, but it was in working order. so if your's is in working order l would say around £160+. hope this helps.

Ok I've worked it out, yes it cocks and fires

The 'Thunderbolt Junior' (Frank Clarke) fits between the larger Accles and Shelvoke 'Acvoke' and smaller 'Tell 2' upon which the larger designs were based.

There was a much rarer version of this pistol called the 'Big Chief' which is much harder to find and may have been an export only item as I have only heard of examples appearing in New Zealand.

The holster looks like an original which would have been made for the Webley Mk6 revolver and should be worth £30-£40 by itself.

Quite a rare pistol and looks to be in good original condition, so I would estimate £140 - £160 would be realistic for a private sale.

Hope this helps.

Brian

Thank you

I would have thought north of £200 myself.

Unless you particularly want to get shot in a job lot if the holster is an original I would definitely sell the holster separately: as has been said it does not go with the pistol and I don't think it will add much to the value of the pistol alone.

Thank you Jerry.

Hi,

I paid £30 for this holster in similar condition to yours at an Arms Fair which came up really nicely after a bit of polishing and compliments well the Webley Mk6 CO2 revolver it now covers. Webley do offer a reproduction holster for this pistol which costs more and isn't nearly as well made as these WW1 period originals. I would definitely sell the holster separately as it should appeal to owners of that particular pistol.

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/...psatjm8jgv.jpg

Out of interest, I picked up this 'Thunderbolt Junior' from the same Arms Fair for £140 a few years ago.

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9447772d.jpg

Good luck with the sale should you decide to move the items on.

Brian

If they are an oversized version of the Tell 2 should be a surprising little performer. Probably the only pistol at the moment that I would like to join my collection. I have one Tell 2 to move on at the moment that only needs the tip of the hook repairing when I can get the MIG going.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

AIRGUN HOBBYIST - PRODUSIT article Vol7 No2

Cannot help reference a very informative article in the last Airgun Hobbyist mag - by T Adams its all about the Produsit line .
    I only thought there was a Thunderbolt Junior but there are more as mentioned there and on this thread .
    Being concentric the Thunderbolt is pokier than it looks .
    Years ago these were fetching high money especially if boxed . Now they still draw interest and for what they are do cost a substantial amount of wonga .

Quote Originally Posted by Jimny4x4 View Post
    Cannot help reference a very informative article in the last Airgun Hobbyist mag - by T Adams its all about the Produsit line .
    I only thought there was a Thunderbolt Junior but there are more as mentioned there and on this thread .
    Being concentric the Thunderbolt is pokier than it looks .
    Years ago these were fetching high money especially if boxed . Now they still draw interest and for what they are do cost a substantial amount of wonga .
    A bit off post, but here is another link to illustrate the similarity between the 'Thunderbolt Junior' 'Acvoke' & 'Tell 2' air pistols.

http://www.classicapa.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=568

Brian

Thank you for everyone's help.