Thread: Diana 38 rifle (1998 model)

Diana 38 rifle (1998 model)

First time I have worked on one of these. What a very nice rifle to shoot. Quite large but not heavy 8lbs and puts out 11.3 ft lbs very lazily without a struggle. This one cleaned up like new. I have never handled one before and know little about them. Has anyone got one or know any history of them, and value please.

Thanks Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

The 38 was released in 1985 and is effectively a deluxe 34. Same action but a nicer stock, trigger guard and sights. Early models had walnut stocks but these changed to beech and the profile became longer and deeper on later models. The 38 is quite a rare beast.
    There is one in the sales section at the moment at £250.

I have two. One has a scored compression tube and is overall in scabby cosmetic condition. Probably good for parts only. The other is brand new and was quite literally the very last one from the importers wharehouse when distributed by Ruag.
    Much as I like the 38, it is, as said above simply a posh 34. I'm sure the early 38s with walnut stocks really were a cut above but with the later beech stocks I dont think there is great deal setting the 34 apart from the 38'
    All that said it's still a good solid piece of German engineering know how so it gets the thumbs up from me.
    Always fancied one of those ones from Cindy's marketed under the Piranha branding. Now they really were summat.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    First time I have worked on one of these. What a very nice rifle to shoot. Quite large but not heavy 8lbs and puts out 11.3 ft lbs very lazily without a struggle. This one cleaned up like new. I have never handled one before and know little about them. Has anyone got one or know any history of them, and value please.

Thanks Baz
    Hi Baz,

think they arrived in 86 replacing the Diana 45 the 38 is a great action well made strong and very accurate better or on par with the best airguns ever made they were good at sub 12ftb levels and fac levels around 18ftb

dave

Can't see the one in sales, but I've kind of banned myself from buying guns for a while, and (if I may say so) £250 is a bit spendy unless it's near mint.

One of my favourite guns that I have never owned. As others have said, a 34 action in a stock more like the 48/52.

An underrated gun. How can I say this having never owned one? Because I have owned a 34, 36 (posh 34) and a 52. A 52-ish stock on a 34 action is/was a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by DM80 View Post
    Hi Baz,

think they arrived in 86 replacing the Diana 45 the 38 is a great action well made strong and very accurate better or on par with the best airguns ever made they were good at sub 12ftb levels and fac levels around 18ftb

dave
    Hi Dave, was taking this back to the owner today, but will hang on to it, want to do some grouping tests at the range. It is so nice to shoot at sub 12 ft lb with hardly any movement, can see there would be FAC potential if required. It also feels easy to shoulder and weight seems to contradict the size. Prefer it to the HW 80 any day.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by DM80 View Post
    Hi Baz,

dave
    American reviews of the full-power 34 action suggest 14-15.5 ft/lbs in .177", so 18 ft/lbs in .22" sounds about right.

All from something that feels more like an FWB Sport or Webley Omega than an HW80.