Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airsoft power output

Airsoft power output

Have there been any recent changes in the law regarding ft.lb. or f.p.s. of 6mm bb airsoft ?
    Was mentioned in our local RFD today. Perhaps I should have put this under "General".

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Have there been any recent changes in the law regarding ft.lb. or f.p.s. of 6mm bb airsoft ?
    Was mentioned in our local RFD today.

Baz
    Yes there has - but only affecting full auto's as far as I recall from reading an airsoft magazine article recently. Its a dangerous change for the hobbyist because it means that at a stroke you can be in posession of a firearm.

I'll try to find the article and report further if no one else can give a definitive statement.

Its the Policing and Crime Act 2017, Section 57A, by the way. It restricts the power permitted for an airsoft gun that can discharge two or more missiles successively with a single press of the trigger, to 1.3 joules, whereas any other airsoft gun can be up to 2.5 joules.

Ironically, a copy of the Act itself costs £40 - more than many airsoft guns!
    Last edited by Airsporter1st; 20-04-2017 at 01:57 PM.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

S125
    Definition of a firearm.
    I have lethal barrelled weapons.

This is also where your Government gets into Airsoft definitions.
    I couldn't possibly comment.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    S125
    Definition of a firearm.
    I have lethal barrelled weapons.

This is also where your Government gets into Airsoft definitions.
    I couldn't possibly comment.
    Just the usual gradual erosion of liberties. As a community, we do a lousy job of looking after our interests. Even this forum bans the sale of legal airsoft guns. Shotgunners look down on airgunners, firearms users look down on all the rest and the government take full advantage of these divisions to push through increasingly onerous legislation.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    Yes there has - but only affecting full auto's as far as I recall from reading an airsoft magazine article recently. Its a dangerous change for the hobbyist because it means that at a stroke you can be in posession of a firearm.

I'll try to find the article and report further if no one else can give a definitive statement.

Its the Policing and Crime Act 2017, Section 57A, by the way. It restricts the power permitted for an airsoft gun that can discharge two or more missiles successively with a single press of the trigger, to 1.3 joules, whereas any other airsoft gun can be up to 2.5 joules.

Ironically, a copy of the Act itself costs £40 - more than many airsoft guns!
    Hardly new, this has been in place since late 2011...

http://www.ukapu.org.uk/changes-to-a...t-enforcement/

I imagine there are a number of older airsoft guns in various cupboards and lofts which are now section 5 firearms

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Do you need a licence for a bow or a crossbow that has masses more energy and are lethal?
    Is there a limit on their power?

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Hardly new, this has been in place since late 2011...

http://www.ukapu.org.uk/changes-to-a...t-enforcement/

I imagine there are a number of older airsoft guns in various cupboards and lofts which are now section 5 firearms
    The OP asked if there was any new legislation and there is as I said above. You have linked to a report on the proposal that preceded the new 2017 legislation.
    Last edited by Airsporter1st; 20-04-2017 at 06:23 PM.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post
    Do you need a licence for a bow or a crossbow that has masses more energy and are lethal?

ASM
    No, but its only a matter of time.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.

So as well as having to explain to your fellow inmates that your S.5 weapon was a slightly over power air pistol......
    You could now be inside for having a toy that shoots plastic balls.

I am seriously worried about the semi auto electric water pistol I bought my 3 year old grandson.

So as well as having to explain to your fellow inmates that your S.5 weapon was a slightly over power air pistol......
    You could now be inside for having a toy that shoots plastic balls.

I am seriously worried about the semi auto electric water pistol I bought my 3 year old grandson.
    .... no you're OK as long as its not a full auto water pistol.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    If he pisses in it you'll probably end up sharing a cell with a spice-addled bank robbing cross-dresser called Nigella

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    And what about catapults?

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post

ASM
    Some available by mail order and in excess of 120 ft.lbs of energy on release but god help if a person gets caught with a peashooter of 15 ft.lbs of ME.

A.G

Extract from the new legislation:

125Firearms Act 1968: meaning of “firearm” etc

(1)
    The Firearms Act 1968 is amended as follows.

(2)
    In section 57 (interpretation), in subsection (1), for the words from the beginning to the end of paragraph (c) substitute—

“(1)
    In this Act, the expression “firearm” means—

(a)
    a lethal barrelled weapon (see subsection (1B));

(b)
    a prohibited weapon;

(c)
    a relevant component part in relation to a lethal barrelled weapon or a prohibited weapon (see subsection (1D));

(d)
    an accessory to a lethal barrelled weapon or a prohibited weapon where the accessory is designed or adapted to diminish the noise or flash caused by firing the weapon;”.

(3)
    In that section, before subsection (2) insert—

“(1B)
    In subsection (1)(a), “lethal barrelled weapon” means a barrelled weapon of any description from which a shot, bullet or other missile, with kinetic energy of more than one joule at the muzzle of the weapon, can be discharged.

(1C)
    Subsection (1) is subject to section 57A (exception for airsoft guns).”

(4)
    In that section, after subsection (1C) (as inserted by subsection (3) above) insert—

“(1D)
    For the purposes of subsection (1)(c), each of the following items is a relevant component part in relation to a lethal barrelled weapon or a prohibited weapon—

(a)
    a barrel, chamber or cylinder,

(b)
    a frame, body or receiver,

(c)
    a breech block, bolt or other mechanism for containing the pressure of discharge at the rear of a chamber,

but only where the item is capable of being used as a part of a lethal barrelled weapon or a prohibited weapon.”
    (5)
    After section 57 insert—

“57A
    Exception for airsoft guns

(1)
    An “airsoft gun” is not to be regarded as a firearm for the purposes of this Act.

(2)
    An “airsoft gun” is a barrelled weapon of any description which—

(a)
    is designed to discharge only a small plastic missile (whether or not it is also capable of discharging any other kind of missile), and

(b)
    is not capable of discharging a missile (of any kind) with kinetic energy at the muzzle of the weapon that exceeds the permitted level.

(3)
    “Small plastic missile” means a missile that—

(a)
    is made wholly or partly from plastics,

(b)
    is spherical, and

(c)
    does not exceed 8 millimetres in diameter.

(4)
    The permitted kinetic energy level is—

(a)
    in the case of a weapon which is capable of discharging two or more missiles successively without repeated pressure on the trigger, 1.3 joules;

(b)
    in any other case, 2.5 joules.”
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.

Oh bum!