Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are NS Panamax really this bad?

Are NS Panamax really this bad?

Since returning to shooting I've been using mainly Hawke's but, I have a fancy for something different along the lines of the above in 3-9x40 AO/IR. The only "but" is that I have read on here that you can run out of adjustment and poi can shift with zoom?

Now, from a weight, length, and all round compactness point of view the above fits the bill for my needs and I was about to buy but should I look elsewhere or stick with what I know and get a non IR Airmax, Vantage Max, or Panorama?

It would be going on a 99s which currently has a non AO 2-7x32 Leapers.

Thank you.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    I use a Panamax 3-9x40AO on a "snappy" .177 HW 95 and so far its been pretty good mounted on a one peice Sportsmatch double strap medium mount with two slivers of 35mm film neg. packing up the rear mount !
    Rifle is zeroed to 33 yards.
    “An airgun or two”………

Currently own a '3-9x40 AO/MD Hawke Vantage' that refuses to hold a zero on my .22/TXhc, not the first time I've had an issue with a 'Hawke' scope either...

I've got a little 'Simmons 1.5-5x32/8-point' on the 'TX' at the moment that does the job admirably, t'is a shame that 'Simmons' seem to have all but disappeared off the radar as every scope I've ever had of theirs has been spot on...

imorik is offline I stick my head out and take it on the chin.
    Just bought a Panamax 3-9x40 AO IR. Everything about it so far is better than the Hawke Airmax. Glass is clerarer, parallax ring is smoother, Mag adjustment is smoother too. Reticle isn't too thick or thin and is as good as the AMX. Pity you can't lock of eyebell adjustment.....not exactly loose but acan be accidentally moved. Not actually used it yet so can't comment on performance. Only reason went for IR version is that it has glass etched ret where as the non IR version doesn't
    AA TX200 MK2 .177, MK3 Barrel, long stroked & shortened T/P
    AA TX200 MK3 HC .177, 22mm internals, shortened T/P
    http://www.anstonftc.co.uk/

Would be interested to hear from users of the two Long Range Panamax scopes; 6-18x50AO IR and 8-24x50AO IR.
    Could be useful for FAC air or Rimfire .22LR or 17HMR ?
    Last edited by Blackrider; 21-04-2017 at 05:51 PM.
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by imorik View Post
    Pity you can't lock of eyebell adjustment.....not exactly loose but acan be accidentally moved
    That's interesting. I have not seen one in the flesh, looking at photos it looks to me like the eye/reticle focus adjuster works on the same principle as the Vantage's etc, that's to say it screws in and out of the bell and a traditional lock ring is absent. Are you saying that it does work like that but, the friction is not as tight as the Hawkes?

Thanks.

imorik is offline I stick my head out and take it on the chin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Portzy View Post
    That's interesting. I have not seen one in the flesh, looking at photos it looks to me like the eye/reticle focus adjuster works on the same principle as the Vantage's etc, that's to say it screws in and out of the bell and a traditional lock ring is absent. Are you saying that it does work like that but, the friction is not as tight as the Hawkes?

Thanks.
    Same as most scopes but feels a little looser compared to the airmax
    AA TX200 MK2 .177, MK3 Barrel, long stroked & shortened T/P
    AA TX200 MK3 HC .177, 22mm internals, shortened T/P
    http://www.anstonftc.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by imorik View Post
    Same as most scopes but feels a little looser compared to the airmax
    I need a "thank you" button, thank you.

Just a thought on these eye bell adjusters, if you were to unscrew them as far as possible so they came away from the main body completely, would you lose the vaccuum or rather purged air from within the main tube?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Would be interested to hear from users of the two Long Range Panamax scopes; 6-18x50AO IR and 8-24x50AO IR.
    Could be useful for FAC air or Rimfire .22LR or 17HMR ?
    I have the 6x18 x50 Panamax on my tx 200hc and its proved faultless in use. I will definitely look to get another for my hw100 when funds allow.
    Air Arms HFT 500. HW100 FSB. HW99 (.22) HW99 (.177) HW30 (.177) HW97K (.177) Gamo GX40 (.22)

Quote Originally Posted by Sallyannsnow View Post
    I have the 6x18 x50 Panamax on my tx 200hc and its proved faultless in use. I will definitely look to get another for my hw100 when funds allow.
    Interesting, what do you use it for, hunting or targets ?
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Portzy View Post
    Just a thought on these eye bell adjusters, if you were to unscrew them as far as possible so they came away from the main body completely, would you lose the vaccuum or rather purged air from within the main tube?
    They shouldn't come out...

Quote Originally Posted by TORNADOS7 View Post
    They shouldn't come out...
    Thnx

Well, all info seems positive enough for me so on the strength of that I have just placed an order for one.

Thanks again,

I have owned a couple recently and would rate them as good value for money. I would also suggest that many scopes in this particular price bracket do tend to lose zero if the parallax setting is altered along with the zoom. My own way around this was to find the optimum position for both and leave them. This is of course not that practical, so it might be worth those purchasing such scopes to try and confirm your zero settings if you keep moving the settings and making a note of any change to your point of impact. More expensive optics do not tend to suffer from this, which, in addition to the quality of the lenses, is why some shooters pay a lot of money for a quality scope.

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !