Thread: Are NS Panamax really this bad?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TORNADOS7 View Post
    They shouldn't come out...
    Thnx

Well, all info seems positive enough for me so on the strength of that I have just placed an order for one.

Thanks again,

I have owned a couple recently and would rate them as good value for money. I would also suggest that many scopes in this particular price bracket do tend to lose zero if the parallax setting is altered along with the zoom. My own way around this was to find the optimum position for both and leave them. This is of course not that practical, so it might be worth those purchasing such scopes to try and confirm your zero settings if you keep moving the settings and making a note of any change to your point of impact. More expensive optics do not tend to suffer from this, which, in addition to the quality of the lenses, is why some shooters pay a lot of money for a quality scope.

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    I have owned a couple recently and would rate them as good value for money. I would also suggest that many scopes in this particular price bracket do tend to lose zero if the parallax setting is altered along with the zoom. My own way around this was to find the optimum position for both and leave them. This is of course not that practical, so it might be worth those purchasing such scopes to try and confirm your zero settings if you keep moving the settings and making a note of any change to your point of impact. More expensive optics do not tend to suffer from this, which, in addition to the quality of the lenses, is why some shooters pay a lot of money for a quality scope.

Andy
    If a scope moves POI with alteration of the parallax then it is faulty and should be returned!

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    If a scope moves POI with alteration of the parallax then it is faulty and should be returned!
    I have a Nikko Mountmaster 3-9x50AO which suffers from the same problems as Amec outlined.
    I recently read some posts along the same lines suggesting that the optical centre is not aligned with the mechanical centre of the objective lens on cheaper scopes. This results in the POI describing a circle as the objective lens is rotated for parallax adjustment.
    I just accept it as a lesson learned about cheap scopes and re-zero if I adjust the parallax.
    I also have a Hawke Sport HD (HK series) 4-12x50 which is not a PA scope but was easily adjusted on the objective lens to suit airgun ranges. This is certainly adequate for my needs, as the depth of field at the magnifications that I favour provide a sharp image with a consistent POI. The parallax error is now minimal.
    I will avoid choosing a PA scope in future unless I am prepared to spend a substantial sum and get a side focus rather than an objective bell adjustment.

I would have had to have returned a lot of budget scopes over the years if they were indeed faulty. Personally, I consider that most scopes falling into this category are pretty damned good these days. If I discovered any issues with shifting zero I would just work out what worked best, and as I have mentioned previously, just leave the scope in question set so that it can meet as many possible shooting scenarios as possible (25 yard parallax, 9 mag for example.)

Interestingly, the last scope I had that fell into the "budget" category had no zero shift whatsoever. This was very recently and I can only presume that not only are the lenses improving all of the time, but the build quality must be also.

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    I would have had to have returned a lot of budget scopes over the years if they were indeed faulty. Personally, I consider that most scopes falling into this category are pretty damned good these days. If I discovered any issues with shifting zero I would just work out what worked best, and as I have mentioned previously, just leave the scope in question set so that it can meet as many possible shooting scenarios as possible (25 yard parallax, 9 mag for example.)

Interestingly, the last scope I had that fell into the "budget" category had no zero shift whatsoever. This was very recently and I can only presume that not only are the lenses improving all of the time, but the build quality must be also.

Andy
    Yes, the 25 yard parallax, x9 magnification sounds very familiar as a default setting!
    It works for most of my applications leaving me to wonder why I bought an AO scope in the first place! I am sure that I have adjusted my non AO Hawke to pretty much the same settings.
    Would you care to let us in on the identity of this new scope that you bought just in case they made more than one of them that works properly?!!