Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Using WD40 on air rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by weebster View Post
    Lmao...there may well be a nugget of truth in that,wd40 was iirc made from fish oil many many moons ago,a sort of 'cod liver oil' in an aerosol
    fish oil ? nope

What a Fish story!
    Myth: WD-40® contains fish oil.

Fact: Consumers have told us over the years that they have caught some of the biggest fish ever after protecting their fish hooks and lures with WD-40®. We believe this legend came from folks assuming that the product must contain fish oil since it appears to attract fish. Sorry Charlie®, it just ain’t so.
    WD-40 Company has taken steps to respect and conserve the environment, and encourages its users to do the same. While WD-40® can be used to help protect fishing equipment from rust and corrosion, WD-40 Company does not recommend using WD-40® to attract fish.

“WD-40® Cures Arthritis!” No Way.
    Myth: WD-40® cures arthritis.

Fact: This popular headline, appearing at least once a year in the tabloids, is completely FALSE. WD-40 Company does not recommend the use of WD-40® for medical purposes, and knows no reason why WD-40® would be effective for arthritis pain relief. WD-40® contains petroleum distillates and should be handled with the same precautions for any product containing this type of material

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    fish oil ? nope

What a Fish story!
    Myth: WD-40® contains fish oil.

Fact: Consumers have told us over the years that they have caught some of the biggest fish ever after protecting their fish hooks and lures with WD-40®. We believe this legend came from folks assuming that the product must contain fish oil since it appears to attract fish. Sorry Charlie®, it just ain’t so.
    WD-40 Company has taken steps to respect and conserve the environment, and encourages its users to do the same. While WD-40® can be used to help protect fishing equipment from rust and corrosion, WD-40 Company does not recommend using WD-40® to attract fish.

“WD-40® Cures Arthritis!” No Way.
    Myth: WD-40® cures arthritis.

Fact: This popular headline, appearing at least once a year in the tabloids, is completely FALSE. WD-40 Company does not recommend the use of WD-40® for medical purposes, and knows no reason why WD-40® would be effective for arthritis pain relief. WD-40® contains petroleum distillates and should be handled with the same precautions for any product containing this type of material
    Got rid of my toe nail fungus, i kid you not.

wink

Wd40

I just remembered I did a little none scientific test on a bit of new clean bare steel a couple of years ago. it was posted on another forum. I was on temporary leave from this one at the time!

Steel was new and clean. Samples were applied with a cotton bud and rubbed well in. Test piece was on my shed roof laid flat for about five days I think. It rained and we had heavy dew," Sept". The test really proves nothing and it is what it is. These were the products I had to hand at the time.

Left to right- Bare steel.- Eddes red, a home brew shotgun barrel cleaner.- Bisley gun oil.- 3in1 oil.- ACF50.-
    -Ballistol.- WD40.- Renaissance wax.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    I take it you'd get a few supersonic shots from that little routine....
    Gives a good few results through the skan unit but after that it's back to normality, I read a article in one of the mags years ago about inducing fluids down the port hole and other areas, Great results for a couple of shots.

Explosion

Quote Originally Posted by madcarlos View Post
    Gives a good few results through the skan unit but after that it's back to normality, I read a article in one of the mags years ago about inducing fluids down the port hole and other areas, Great results for a couple of shots.
    Nothing to do with the OP but as kids we used a squirt of model diesel engine fuel in the back of a pellet. Lovely crack and a great smell. didn't work every time, mixture had to be just right.
    That reminds me I still have a can of fuel in the workshop!!!
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

I read somewhere it's not good for blueing.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Dunkley View Post
    I just remembered I did a little none scientific test on a bit of new clean bare steel a couple of years ago. it was posted on another forum. I was on temporary leave from this one at the time!

Steel was new and clean. Samples were applied with a cotton bud and rubbed well in. Test piece was on my shed roof laid flat for about five days I think. It rained and we had heavy dew," Sept". The test really proves nothing and it is what it is. These were the products I had to hand at the time.

Left to right- Bare steel.- Eddes red, a home brew shotgun barrel cleaner.- Bisley gun oil.- 3in1 oil.- ACF50.-
    -Ballistol.- WD40.- Renaissance wax.
    Well 2 do stand out, WD40 is one of them.

Wd40)

Quote Originally Posted by buttloaves View Post
    I read somewhere it's not good for blueing.
    I have read this several times. I think it must be that folk have tried it on home cold blued barrels. I have never heard of WD damaging any proper blued or blacked steel. Certainly not any of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus2017 View Post
    The main thing to watch for is seals. If you leave it on them it can cause them to fail.
    For what it's worth I once experimented by leaving an O-ring soaking in WD40 for a month.
    It had no discernible effect, and the o-ring sealed fine afterwards

WD40,Water displacement for fourty days and fourty nights?.

I prefer three in one.
    Last edited by piggy589; 22-04-2017 at 12:09 PM.

fourty?

What does WD-40® stand for?
    WD-40® literally stands for Water Displacement, 40th formula. That's the name straight out of the lab book used by the chemist who developed the product back in 1953. The chemist, Norm Larsen, was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion—a task which is done by displacing water. Norm's persistence paid off when he perfected the formula on his 40th try.
    https://wd40.com/faqs

I have used wd40 on shuttle valves in offshore compressors to free off the shuttle valves .never had it wreck the seals .it just got blown out by the air. silicone grease or red rubber grease ( bit too thick) was used when rebuilding them. out on the job and no time to strip and clean it was wd40 or airtool oil that was used to free it off.

^ Close - Water Displacement, 40th formula.

NOT a lubricant. Why people persist in believing this myth is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by chieffool View Post
    Personally.... I just love the smell of it. I had an aunt who used to spray her arthritic hip evey day with it convinced that it was doing her good. She was (of course) barking mad.
    Actually had a doctor tell us that it works for joint pains. It has a chemical that allows it to penetrate the skin. Has a long name, but it well know by it's anagram. I just can't remember the 4 letters.

There are better penetrating sprays out there but they are not as easy to get hold of.
    I used to use them to free testing ports on power station stacks, very rusty and had been very hot.
    But I have been using dw40 to clean inside the barrels recently seems good.

Myself i always give a squirt down the port hole of my 177 77k , just a little then decocked the gun and half pulled on the under lever a couple times and then left over night if I went shooting the morning after, I done this for the best part of 20 years on and off , In all fairness the seal although gone a tad brownish seemed to be ok, Still got the 77 and put a kit in it a while back but don't use it to need to lube it as much now, Had the gun now over 30 years and it will match my pcp Guns for accuracy,
    Read illegal, not to mention turning your 77's action into an internal combustion engine.

Yep! A real wise move.
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.