Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Fillings

Talking Favorite Fillings

Morning all
    Being a cheapskate I've used sand filled socks up until now, but finally opted to invest in a set of front and rear rest bags, now pondering over whether to fill with sand or opt for something lighter as in catlitter or polystyrene balls, plastic BBs etc.
    So what's your favorite filling?
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve1962 View Post
    Morning all
    Being a cheapskate I've used sand filled socks up until now, but finally opted to invest in a set of front and rear rest bags, now pondering over whether to fill with sand or opt for something lighter as in catlitter or polystyrene balls, plastic BBs etc.
    So what's your favorite filling?
    Steve
    I've found 50/50 hamster bedding and rice easy to poke into corners, with good structural strength & flexibility & not too heavy.

ATB
    Gwyn
    Seize the Day! Quigley Hollow is a great place to start.

Hello having had sand leak from seams then went over to rice and no problems. I didn't try mixing it with anything but I guess the weight will depend on the size of what you wish to fill.
    I bought a 5 kilo bag and thought it would be more than enough, wrong, it was only just enough!
    Cheers.
    Geoff.

Cat litter (new) i've yet to find anything better .

Vermiculite

Quote Originally Posted by cjsid View Post
    Vermiculite
    Not good for your lungs that stuff.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerjor View Post

Cat litter (new) i've yet to find anything better .
    Just don't let the bag/cushion/sock get wet as that stuff is super absorbent (learned that lesson the hard way a decade or so ago lol ) ... I now mainly use polystyrene balls as find they shape well in the bag, and are light to carry (I'm getting old, see, so that latter consideration is important to me ) ...

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

I have two identical hft kneeling bags one has the proper polly balls filling the other is 50 50 with those polly packing wave shaped things and polly balls. Can't see any difference between them except the wavy things are free.
    I do have sand bags at home but they are not as good as the real thing and far to heavy to carry around.

Don't use the packing wave things that are made of pva and dissolve in water test them first.
    Last edited by dayglowfroggy; 22-04-2017 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff555 View Post
    I bought a 5 kilo bag and thought it would be more than enough, wrong, it was only just enough!
    Cheers.
    Geoff.
    Same here. Got the BSA bags for £9.99 and I managed to squeeze the 5kg and another 1kg bag of rice in as I wanted them well packed. I give it a karate chop on the front and it works well. I thought the weight would have been an issue but its an advantage I think now to be honest. If they were too light they wouldn't stop the gun if it started to tilt.

Now I can sit in the garden watching the bird table for Pigeons, get out the camping stove and have myself some pigeon and rice for dinner. Proper survivalist!
    Last edited by Missed_dinner; 22-04-2017 at 02:17 PM. Reason: added bad humour
    BASC Member

Quote Originally Posted by slinger69 View Post
    I've found 50/50 hamster bedding and rice easy to poke into corners, with good structural strength & flexibility & not too heavy.

ATB
    Gwyn
    What on earth made you think of that?

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Yafflle1234 View Post
    What on earth made you think of that?

It said "Hamster" on the packaging, but it was bought for his gerbils.

Best just leave that there...
    God rest ye jelly mental men

I use the polystyrene balls in my shooting cushion and rest The cheapest way to fill them and keep them topped up is to buy a Bean bag from the carboot I normally pick them up for couple of pounds I keep it in the shed as it's in a cloth bag as the plastic bags rot and they end up everywhere

Thank you one and all rice it is then as I'll always have something to eat then 😉

I use polystyrene balls as I was worried about rice getting wet. Makes the bag light but not that steady compared to heavier fillers. I might try cat litter as don't think it swells up as much as rice but could be wrong.

Packing chips cut in half for me. I put 2 cords across the front rest to limit bulging and a piece of cardboard at the bottom