Thread: Nice Crosman Rifle up on Holt's

Nice Crosman Rifle up on Holt's

Corrections: this would be a model 101 not "102" as in the description. Also, the timeframe is more like 1938-1941 for the "click less" models. However, this is not a late '30s gun; instead this is an early model, circa 1925-1929, that has been reconditioned at the Crosman factory. Which is where it would have picked up the new forearm and a new paint job (standard practice at Crosman for repaired guns) Looks like a very nice example. Usually, these guns saw heavy use and show a lot more wear than this one.

http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com...113332&image=0
    Last edited by DT Fletcher; 25-04-2017 at 03:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    Corrections: this would be a model 101 not "102" as in the description. Also, the timeframe is more like 1938-1941 for the "click less" models. However, this is not a late '30s gun; instead this is an early model, circa 1925-1929, that has been reconditioned at the Crosman factory. Which is where it would have picked up the new forearm and a new paint job (standard practice at Crosman for repaired guns) Looks like a very nice example. Usually, these guns saw heavy use and show a lot more wear than this one.

http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com...113332&image=0
    Did some of the first model 101's have the second style nurled cocking knob or was this updated at the factory?

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Did some of the first model 101's have the second style nurled cocking knob or was this updated at the factory?
    It's not entirely clear, but, it's my impression that a gun sent to the factory for repair was brought up to full production standards. In effect, after disassembly and painting, the gun would be put through the standard production cycle using new parts. Regarding the cocking knob; the cocking knob was updated for a reason, although it's not entirely clear what that reason was. For the entire history of Crosman, when a part was replaced or updated for a specific model, guns returned for repair would receive the new parts.

Note: up till 1956, the factory was the only real repair option, other than home repair. Home repair was expected and fully supported by the factory with literature and parts. It wasn't until 1956 that the Authorized Crosman Repair Station program was established to provide local support. Same thing with Benjamin. Right up till the end, you could contact the Benjamin factory for tools, repair literature, and parts. Benjamin service stations existed but never on the scale of Crosman.

When I first started collecting Crosman and Benjamin, back in the '80s, I was doing a lot of business travel where invariably I would end up hanging around cities for an afternoon, so, I would take every opportunity to visit local Crosman repair stations at each location. One of my Crosman paper collections are the Crosman Authorized Repair Station lists which they frequently updated. Using these, it was often possible to track down a closed, or active, repair stations and buy stuff. Sometimes, even the entire service station inventory. It was like a treasure hunt.