Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder coating

Powder coating

Hi anyone had a gun powder coated, Been asked the same question but I ain't had any gun or parts done, Anyone had a action done.

Quote Originally Posted by madcarlos View Post
    Hi anyone had a gun powder coated, Been asked the same question but I ain't had any gun or parts done, Anyone had a action done.
    Had mountain bikes done. It can be OK but if the surface has not been keyed right it flakes off.

Ideally it needs bead blasted so if you don't like it and want to go back to a blued Finish it will not be smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Had mountain bikes done. It can be OK but if the surface has not been keyed right it flakes off.

Ideally it needs bead blasted so if you don't like it and want to go back to a blued Finish it will not be smooth.
    Chap around this way picked up a hw80 , It's rough, He just wants to Tidy it up a bit without paying more than the gun is worth, Think on times its better to pay more for something tidy than to over pay trying to make it look good, I bought a old hw50 which action was rough, To send it off and get done would cost more than its worth, There was someone dipping locally but not sure if they do it any more, They done a good job on my 77.

Polyester powder forms an extremely tough finish.

If it finds its way into a hole, threaded or not, you'll have problems.

Chap around this way picked up a hw80 , It's rough, He just wants to Tidy it up a bit without paying more than the gun is worth, Think on times its better to pay more for something tidy than to over pay trying to make it look good, I bought a old hw50 which action was rough, To send it off and get done would cost more than its worth, There was someone dipping locally but not sure if they do it any more, They done a good job on my 77.
    power coating is ok till it chips . moisture can get in and then the rust will build up under the coating.

enamel paint would do the same id guess.

rub it down and paint it with spray cans . that way if you decide to get it blued later its not going to need a lot to get it polished up.

there is the rust bluing that T20 did and documented on here. would only cost for the materials and your time.

there is Parkerizing too. like they did on army firearms . not sure on costs.

RichardH on here might be worth asking .

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    power coating is ok till it chips . moisture can get in and then the rust will build up under the coating.

enamel paint would do the same id guess.

rub it down and paint it with spray cans . that way if you decide to get it blued later its not going to need a lot to get it polished up.

there is the rust bluing that T20 did and documented on here. would only cost for the materials and your time.

there is Parkerizing too. like they did on army firearms . not sure on costs.

RichardH on here might be worth asking .
    I think for what he wants would be best to use some spray cans, At least he can touch it up now and then, I got some stove paint he could try, It's the new type 80 and has been neglected quite bad,

I'm a powder coater and wouldn't dream of doing a gun like a springer it would change piston size ect would be hell of a job from keeping it out the piston chamber

my nephew left his hw80 in the barn at the farm for 18months. it was in its side on a shelf l the bottom side was ok but the too side was a little rusty in places . I rubbed it down with Ali foil and some ATF oil. it too the clumpy rust patches off and left what was left of the bluing . I then used Philips bluing gel all over it and it came ooh ok. some pitting but nothing major.

Powder coating adds quite a lot to thickness ect to things its quite suprising how much it effects things parts like buddy bottles ect are great Richard H on here does hot blueing or creokote ( maybe spelled wrong ) also does anodising that would be my advise defo not powder coating

I have used satin black Plastikote with good results.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by dave goodall View Post
    Powder coating adds quite a lot to thickness ect if things its quite suprising how much it effects things parts like buddy bottles ect are great Richard H on here does hot blueing or creokote ( maybe spelled wrong ) also does anodising that would be my advise defo not powder coating
    OK bud will take the advice , As said was tempted to get the hw50 done but to be honest I ain't going to use it and I would rather wait untill I had a couple to be done than just send the one off, It's worth him trying to spray it though , The chances is he won't have it long,

Hey I might gorrila tape it for him, Gotta be better than it is right now, I done a rapid stock with it and it was tidy, Nice grip to it to, Got board with it after and removed it , Came off great and hardly any mess left,

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    I have used satin black Plastikote with good results.
    Thanks for that info, Did you use any prima or any base coat

Give Richard H a pm you will be very surprised at the price he charges and his work looks spot on lads alway seem to forget his work and advise Colin Malloy ect. He was going to Refinish some rapid blocks for me but plans changed but the prices was very cheap up to other places I was quoted

Thanks for that info, Did you use any prima or any base coat
    No - just rubbed down and degreased. I found by using the satin, I could wipe it with an oily (Ballistol) cloth and it produced a simikar sheen to a properly blued/blacked surface.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.