Thread: An alternative to screws or bling?

An alternative to screws or bling?

I just wondered what thoughts are on these?

https://customslingplates.co.uk/

I'm looking at an alternative to the traditional drill and screw method and think they look good, plus they are easily removed or swapped out should the need arise.

Look very nice, but why would anyone would buy such a thing, at what will without doubt be silly money, when they can just drill & screw one in for a few pence.

Mind I'm baffled as to why studs are not fitted as standard at the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Look very nice, but why would anyone would buy such a thing, at what will without doubt be silly money, when they can just drill & screw one in for a few pence.

For a 99s cost wise is £30.00 delivered, I am pretty good with tools and intricate work as I have built boats with my dad in the past but there is just something stopping me from doing it. Your last sentence makes a whole lot of sense though.

Agreed, I'd happily pay a few bob extra to have them fitted as standard...

I am in total agreement with your top line, but in disagreement with the second line. Personally I would not want the studs sticking out of my rifles as I never put slings on them. If I do then it's not great hassle to fit them.
    Shooting Air Rifles is like being a pubic hair on a toilet seat.
    Eventually someone comes a long and P's you off.
    They usually have a PCP

Make your own.

xbow is offline "Right a bit, left a bit............"
    Quote Originally Posted by Portzy View Post
    I think they look good, plus they are easily removed or swapped out should the need arise.
    Agreed. And nothing spoils a stock more than a badly fitted stud for a sling.
    We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.
    Rudeness is the weak mans imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer.

If I don’t reply to your comments it’s probably because you’re on my Ignore list.

Quote Originally Posted by StellaArtois Sr View Post
    I am in total agreement with your top line, but in disagreement with the second line. Personally I would not want the studs sticking out of my rifles as I never put slings on them. If I do then it's not great hassle to fit them.
    Couldn't agree more "drill a hole in the stock of my rifle" you're avin a bleed'n larf ain't you !....

They look interesting as an alternative to drilling holes. When I started HFT with my 77k it did not have a sling but virtually all other rifles I saw had one. I fitted sling swivels / sling and admit that life did become easier as the rifle was supported by its sling while I was marking the score cards or selecting a pellet.
    Now lets move on a good few years to the age of the high end guns in HFT, especially the meccano kits. Few of them now have slings ... FTP900, HFT500, Anschutz, Walther, Steyr, even Daystates are seen without slings. People carry a bag around and lovingly replace their rifle in the case after the shot and between lanes. I have a Merlyn in a custom stock, a beautiful bit of wood, and do not want to inflict sling swivels on it.
    Maybe hunters are more prone (no pun intended) to fit swivels while the modern HFT shooters do not bother ... or maybe fitting them is impractical / impossible on the mecanno kits.
    Cheers, Phil

The thing is, I could fit a simple stud but not the one that comes with the Bisley kit as I don't like it, just a decent well made one. Try as I might though I just cannot bring myself to do it so if I were to take the stud route it would mean a 60 mile round trip to the gunsmiths and I estimate an hours labour, say £30?, so I would be better off with the spacer.

I'll mull it over I think, at least it doesn't look a pig and I can either swap it out or swap it over twixt the .22 and the soon to arrive .177.

I have a Custom Sling Plate fitted to my HW100kt I also swapped out the standard front stock mounting bolt for one that incorporated a sling stud. It was the perfect solution to fit a bipod and sling without risking damaging the stock by drilling. At the same time I had the sling plate made I had it machined to fit a Bisley adjustable butt plate. John Bigland who makes these is great to deal with and nothing is too much trouble. PM me if you want a photo of the finished article as I cannot add a pic to this post..
    Bob

The thing is, I could fit a simple stud but not the one that comes with the Bisley kit as I don't like it, just a decent well made one. Try as I might though I just cannot bring myself to do it so if I were to take the stud route it would mean a 60 mile round trip to the gunsmiths and I estimate an hours labour, say £30?, so I would be better off with the spacer.

I'll mull it over I think, at least it doesn't look a pig and I can either swap it out or swap it over twixt the .22 and the soon to arrive .177.
    had my theoben evo stock fitted with a stud. cost me £15 for the swivel stud set and £5 for the gunsmith to do it.

he did my Anschutz.22lr stick for £7 including supplying the studs too.

For a 99s cost wise is £30.00 delivered, I am pretty good with tools and intricate work as I have built boats with my dad in the past but there is just something stopping me from doing it. Your last sentence makes a whole lot of sense though.
    With your skill set I'd make the sandwich plate in dense wood or Jabroc maybe. Would blend better for my taste.