Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Use of plastic in top competition pistols

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    I know the LP2 compacts are quite light however and they are very LOUD too!

The LP2 grips are more adjustable than the Morini - but they don't have the electronic trigger.
    I have heard a couple of complain of the trigger position on the Steyrs - from memory something about running out of adjustment rearwards I think?
    Pardon? did you say something Harvey? And the LP2 compact is louder!

The trigger position on a Steyr is a problem for us normal size people in that its designed for giants, and even on fully back is too long for us of compact stature. The LP 2 is better, but with the LP10 and 50 I've had to make my own flat blade trigger to get correct reach.

On a visit to Steyr in Austria a few years back I found out why when I met the designer, he's 6ft 8in with hands like shovels!

For value for money new the LP2 is difficult to match, I prefer the compact, I don't shoot pistol any more now due to rheumatism, but if I did I'd be tempted by a Walther LG400. But for the same money as any of them you can get a S/H LP10 or Morini.

Agree with Harvey, £1500 pistol, cheap pellets? Why? There's a reason why JSB, RWS, Quian Yuan, and H&N make a top range and they are used by the top shooters, they are better, and the cost difference is peanuts!

Have Fun.
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

I had also owned and shot a short Steyr LP2 for some time - and I wont hear a thing said against them......

To be fair, I cant hear too much of anything anymore since I had one of those!
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Many of the "older" match pistols (and rifles) also made good use of plastic mouldings with all of the top quality manufacturers using moulded plastic in one way or another and have been doing so since the second world war when target shooting with .177 airguns started to become a more popular pastime.

As an aside, I have been collecting match airguns of all types since I started in the 1960's and have noticed the use of plastic in many "top quality" and highly desirable early match rifles - Walther especially made very good use of plastics - so this is not a new idea and is most certainly not restricted to "modern" or "current" match pistols and rifles.
    Bob, which Walther match rifles ? If you mean LG55 springer then yes,trigger guard. If you mean ssp LG90, LGM-1 and LGM-2 and 210 then apart from the actual trigger blades there is no 'plastic' that I have ever seen 'in' them.

The LGR Walthers first ground breaking ssp only had the same plastic trigger guard as the 55 and a plastic cocking handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Bob, which Walther match rifles ? If you mean LG55 springer then yes,trigger guard. If you mean ssp LG90, LGM-1 and LGM-2 and 210 then apart from the actual trigger blades there is no 'plastic' that I have ever seen 'in' them.

The LGR Walthers first ground breaking ssp only had the same plastic trigger guard as the 55 and a plastic cocking handle.
    There are a few more plastic parts that that Mark.

The LGR Match Universal ( like the LGR and LGR Match) has plastic parts used in the piston, trigger guard and trigger blade as well as the butt plate spacers. The cheek piece raising mechanism is almost 100% plastic mouldings ( I bought the last complete set from Bills Walther Spares just before Bill died).

Not so obvious is the working internal moulded trigger mechanism component that the trigger also mounts onto.

The use of plastic was further extended with the LG90 when the rear diopter adjusting knobs became plastic mouldings and the cheekpiece spacers. The moulded trigger mechanism component looks to be the same as used on the LGR range of rifles.

The use of plastics helped to keep the price down, the production costs and speed higher and the weight lower.

Intelligent use of good quality plastics should be applauded and the durability of these parts (at least in the Walther and FWB rifles) has been time proven.

It is possible to look at these similar components in the top quality match rifles such as the FWB 300 etc. The German air gun industry was obviously "switched-on" with the use of plastics and made good use of them in the most appropriate places.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post

Intelligent use of good quality plastics should be applauded and the durability of these parts (at least in the Walther and FWB rifles) has been time proven.

It is possible to look at these similar components in the top quality match rifles such as the FWB 300 etc. The German air gun industry was obviously "switched-on" with the use of plastics and made good use of them in the most appropriate places.
    Hi Bob

Conceded I think, those two sentences sum up the approach taken by the best factories perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Hi Bob

Conceded I think, those two sentences sum up the approach taken by the best factories perfectly.

agreed
    If you are already aiming for the exact center of everything, then the target’s size shouldn’t matter — the center of a beach ball is just as big as the center of an aspirin tablet. -Byron Ferguson