Thread: Finally fell in love with a 2nd Webley rifle

Finally fell in love with a 2nd Webley rifle

Firstly, I have a tracker, its great, a superb example I enjoy shooting, its a little hold sensitive but I owe the former owner in keeping it pristine, which I will do by only shooting it occasionally, like on a nice sunny day like today. It is a collectors piece.

Mk3 s and the service, put me right off Webley rifles .

Last week however, I picked up an Omega carbine in 22. I have bought a fair few of the rifles that have a following, and have sold most of them. Shot the Omega for about 2 hours solid! Love the thing, its perfect, was dialling in the scope rested at 20m and my friend couldnt see where the pellets were going on a "used" target, until he realised I was just making the same hole slightly bigger!

I have a BSA Supersport .25 carbine that is my usual go-to plinking rifle, hits all and is easy to cock over and over again, important for extended plinking. The Omega carbine is even easier, I wasnt even using the barrel weight length, so will mod the barrel weight closer to the breech some.

Can see that the good words about the Omega are all true, just wish I had bought the Left Handed one I saw a couple of years ago...
    Thanks - Geoff.

I sold a really nice .22 Omega a few years ago.
    I was young and foolish!

Nice, aren't they, Omegas? I have an early .22" full-length Omega, but quite fancy a carbine.

I predict that if you like the Omega, you'll also like the Tomahawk and Longbow.

Basically, they are the only Webleys that feel and shoot like FWBs or HWs.

I understand you liking the Tracker, because I like Trackers - but more for the early 80s cool factor than for their performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Nice, aren't they, Omegas? I have an early .22" full-length Omega, but quite fancy a carbine.

I predict that if you like the Omega, you'll also like the Tomahawk and Longbow.

Basically, they are the only Webleys that feel and shoot like FWBs or HWs.

I understand you liking the Tracker, because I like Trackers - but more for the early 80s cool factor than for their performance.
    The Longbow was massively underrated and appears massively forgotten....could shoot and handle just like a FWB Sport.
    Tracker...er no.
    Bad piston head arrangement needs replacing but dodgy transfer port size/ compression ratio cannot.
    It struggled against the English competition of the time but sank completely shortly after.
    Omegas...i sadly never owned one or even got to try one.

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    The Longbow was massively underrated and appears massively forgotten....could shoot and handle just like a FWB Sport.
    Tracker...er no.
    Bad piston head arrangement needs replacing but dodgy transfer port size/ compression ratio cannot.
    It struggled against the English competition of the time but sank completely shortly after.
    Omegas...i sadly never owned one or even got to try one.
    Hence my comment about Trackers - pretty rubbish as a gun, but they still put a smile on my face to play with. Probably because I was 14 when they were introduced. An impressionable age.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Hence my comment about Trackers - pretty rubbish as a gun, but they still put a smile on my face to play with. Probably because I was 14 when they were introduced. An impressionable age.
    I have only shot one Tracker, a deluxe that a pal picked up a couple of years ago. Having owned/ shot various Vulcans, Hawks, Victors etc I wasn't expecting top performance but it actually shot surprisingly well. The single stage trigger was much better than I remembered on the old break barrel Webleys. It's quite possible that it has been fettled at some point of course. Handsome gun that handled well. The side lever cocking was very nice to operate with a pleasing rrrrrch from the ratchet.
    I may be at an impressionable age.

I have tried a Brum Longbow that was for sale. It had the same tough lockup as the Xocet carbine I had at the time, I did really like the way the Xocet handled, but couldnt get on with the super tough lockup that needed thumping to break. The longbow was similar tough lockup. Didnt buy the Longbow and sold the xocet!

Even had the highly rated FWB 124 mk1, i am being a little picky, 2 things wrong, it was right handed and full length. Sold it...

The Omega is so perfect, that I can live with the RH stock, until, if ever, a LH stock comes up.
    Thanks - Geoff.

+1 for the Omega - I have a matched pair in .177 & .22 and they still hold their own with my HW's

Dunk
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, raise the black flag & start slitting throats"

[QUOTE=mrgeoff;7244648] Mk3 s and the service, put me right off Webley rifles (QUOTE]

And what is wrong with the Service, one of the finest Webley Air Rifles of all time?
    Comparing a Service to a Longbow or any other relatively modern example , is like comparing chalk and cheese.
    I know they both do the same job, but technology has advanced so much in the last few decades, that one would expect a modern air rifle to out perform a mass produced air rifle from the 1940's, and in most cases, they do, but in my opinion the Webley Mk.II Service with easily interchangeable barrels, is one of the finest Webley air rifle products ever.

I am glad you are enjoying the Omega (whilst trying not to regret selling it )
    Rich
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)