Thread: To Blue or Not to Blue That is the Question

To Blue or Not to Blue That is the Question

I have a Webley MK11 Target Pistol that a pervious owner had file the front sight almost totally away, I have rectified the damage and obviously wrecked the thin original finish that was left in the process so I had to re-blue it.
    Do I re-blue the rest of the gun now or leave it looking as though it has a new barrel because the diffrence in the colours and wear to finish.
    Photographs of refinished barrel and the frame that hasn't been refinished.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fronte...57682996760115

Well its obviously lost any originality so whatever you do is unlikely to affect the value further, in my opinion. On that basis, I would say you might as well leave it (unless the bluing is free/diy).
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    leave it.. an old original condition barrel might turn up, and then you will have an original (ish) gun again. Plus you save the money / time to spend on shooting
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Have you thought about trying to buff it or polish it lightly to wear through the new blue to blend in. I'm presuming it is a cold blue which will be thinner than you think. Oil and wire wool perhaps or brasso.
    BASC

I just don't get the "original finish is a must" argument.

If I buy a classic car do I get shot down in flames because I restore it rather than leave the dents, paint fading and rust so I can claim it is "original" ? Answer - No.

I just don't see the difference.

Some items then the value is in the original condition.
    Sounds like yours has had so much done to it that its no longer in original condition so won't demand original condition price. It still can be a nice example. You have to weigh up if the bluing costs are worth it, though sadly these costs rarely get returned on resale. If you reblue it then its for your pleasure. Just the way this market works.

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Your gun mate - you do what feels right for you not others.
    I go with Pauls (Air 1sts) comments!

atb
    ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    I just don't get the "original finish is a must" argument.

If I buy a classic car do I get shot down in flames because I restore it rather than leave the dents, paint fading and rust so I can claim it is "original" ? Answer - No.

I just don't see the difference.
    I think that's because you cant drive a pile of rust!
    I've lost count of the vehicles I have restored for fun and a living(a few 100 I think), and built quite a few race vehicles, kit cars and commercial vehicles from scratch, but a gun is different and it depends on what it is, and what was like to start with when you got it.
    I am restoring an Air Arms NJR to tidy it up so to speak as it was very good but a few marks spoilt it, but I have a couple of BSA standards and Airsporter Mk1's and 2's and I wouldn't dream of touching them unless they were very poor to start with.

To sum it up though, I have my Dads old Mk1 Airsporter he bought new in 58, that has bits worn where he used it and knocked it, but as he's not here now, I would't dream of freshening it up, it's like having part of my Dad. Old guns have a character that you lose sometimes when restoring.
    BASC

Quote Originally Posted by Fronteria View Post
    I have a Webley MK11 Target Pistol that a pervious owner had file the front sight almost totally away, I have rectified the damage and obviously wrecked the thin original finish that was left in the process so I had to re-blue it.
    Do I re-blue the rest of the gun now or leave it looking as though it has a new barrel because the diffrence in the colours and wear to finish.
    Photographs of refinished barrel and the frame that hasn't been refinished.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fronte...57682996760115
    definately get it repolished and reblued. Some of the refurbs are an absolute joy and some go for many more pounds than original condition specimens on occasions, esp these webleys which take bluing so well.
    Westley Richards in particularly will do a polish and reblue which is actually better than the original finish when brand new.

restoration?

Quote Originally Posted by DEAN C. View Post
    I think that's because you cant drive a pile of rust!
    I've lost count of the vehicles I have restored for fun and a living(a few 100 I think), and built quite a few race vehicles, kit cars and commercial vehicles from scratch, but a gun is different and it depends on what it is, and what was like to start with when you got it.
    I am restoring an Air Arms NJR to tidy it up so to speak as it was very good but a few marks spoilt it, but I have a couple of BSA standards and Airsporter Mk1's and 2's and I wouldn't dream of touching them unless they were very poor to start with.

To sum it up though, I have my Dads old Mk1 Airsporter he bought new in 58, that has bits worn where he used it and knocked it, but as he's not here now, I would't dream of freshening it up, it's like having part of my Dad. Old guns have a character that you lose sometimes when restoring.
    I have an a old air rifle, it was a Christmas present when I was 11 years old. it was used & abused not just by myself but also by my 2 son's [despite my hiding it behind wardrobe!] I found it in shed a couple of years ago, a rusty relic. I have spent far to much on having it restord, but on thinking back , must have cost my dad a lot . thank's dad!

Quote Originally Posted by cringe View Post
    I have an a old air rifle, it was a Christmas present when I was 11 years old. it was used & abused not just by myself but also by my 2 son's [despite my hiding it behind wardrobe!] I found it in shed a couple of years ago, a rusty relic. I have spent far to much on having it restord, but on thinking back , must have cost my dad a lot . thank's dad!
    I used to sneak my Dads Airsporter out of the wardrobe when he was out when I was about 10 years old........I am sure he must have noticed the pellets were going down. This was in the early 70's before anyone phones social services.
    BASC