Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: An "All Round" Air Rifle Scope, Spring or PCP ?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Quite like the Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40AO Dead Hold BDC Reticle that Les had mounted on one of his air rifles at the Spring Bashes although these are about £50 new above my budgetery figure.
    I have a 4X16X42 Diamond Back HP SF BDC. The clarity of this scope is in a different league to my usual Sidewinder and Viper and all that. They have gone up a bit in price but considering the quality one gets it is reasonable.

A.G

Blackrider is online now It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Yes Dave, seen that. I'm just covering all the bases at the minute.
    Ta
    “An airgun or two”………

All an open question of course and a matter of personel taste and preference but recently I've been thinking about this.
    I've had PCP's in the past but only use springers nowadays and over the past 20 years or so, I've predominently used Simmons Pro Airs and Bushnell Legends, primarily the 5-15x40AO of which I currently have five on various air rifles although I still use two Pro Airs.

Moving on, I'm considering another mid-range scope very much in the manner of the Pro Air and the Legend but what will it be ?

Currently, I'm favouring the Vortex range in particular the Diamondback models.
    Anyone recommend anything else ?

Should add, in terms of a budget then lets say £200.
    I've been out today with my Diamondback 3-9x40.. & i have to say i think its the best value scope I've ever owned... It was perfect for my R10 and once re-paralaxed to 22-25 yrds totally hits the spot 8-35yrds. I had it on 4 & 3x mag today and got 8 birds in half an hour walking round the farmyard. I can't wait to try my night vision on it for a bit of ratting.
    Great to be back on a simple .22 rig again

I think there are other scopes that are better & some the same but none with the warranty and performance at the price point. I'd say get a 2-7x35 if you can manage on that mag forget the parallax and do an end bell twizzle
    What Springer is it for John?

Rhys
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

I'm currently using a 3-9x40ao EFR on a Brum Longbow and I rate it although a mil-dot reticle would be a plus I think.
    Nice bright disc though !
    You'll be needing to spend £400 to do better ...
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    I've been out today with my Diamondback 3-9x40.. & i have to say i think its the best value scope I've ever owned... It was perfect for my R10 and once re-paralaxed to 22-25 yrds totally hits the spot 8-35yrds. I had it on 4 & 3x mag today and got 8 birds in half an hour walking round the farmyard. I can't wait to try my night vision on it for a bit of ratting.
    Great to be back on a simple .22 rig again

I think there are other scopes that are better & some the same but none with the warranty and performance at the price point. I'd say get a 2-7x35 if you can manage on that mag forget the parallax and do an end bell twizzle
    What Springer is it for John?

Rhys
    No one particular air rifle Rhys, just being proactive as they say. The Pro Airs and Legends are still great scopes but its good to plan ahead !

Have you clipped that Doctor glass onto something yet, nice scope by the way ?
    John.
    “An airgun or two”………

No one particular air rifle Rhys, just being proactive as they say. The Pro Airs and Legends are still great scopes but its good to plan ahead !

Have you clipped that Doctor glass onto something yet, nice scope by the way ?
    John.
    I haven't yet no... I think it might be nice on the blue laminate 97k that I'm going to win from AGW
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Falcon m18

Now that ticks a few boxes !
    Worth a bit more investigation I think !
    I bought one of these a couple of months ago, the first focal plane is very good, and the lense let's in a lot of light you can shoot right up until its properly dark. Only criticism a bit wieghty and no illuminated ret. Top quality kit.
    mk2 rapid.22

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    I asked this same question a few months ago and was supplied with the same excellent recommendations (apart from MTC), I ended up with a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x50, which I have to admit is an excellent scope for what I payed for it secondhand off here, I wanted something that would sit on my Theoben Sirocco 2000 and only had a certain amount of clearance because of the fixed scope mounts, the Nikon fits with just a small amount of room before it would hit the main body (it's that close I can't get the lens cap on), I also love Bushnells and about six years ago picked up a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 (after reading how good they are) to replace my Legend but the Legend just had the edge, so sold the Nikon on to fund another project (like we do), I haven't tested it yet in the field as I've not had time to get out but I'm hoping it is just as good as the Legend (not that it's replacing it this time as the Legend is permanently mated to my Prosport) as it has the 50 front lens that should put it on a par, a no fuss scope with no silly extras I don't really need and hopefully the nice bright lenses I'm going to need.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    You'll be needing to spend £400 to do better ...
    Mmm... thats quite a bit, anything in mind ?
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    I haven't yet no... I think it might be nice on the blue laminate 97k that I'm going to win from AGW
    Cool !

Bring it to the September Bash !
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by keithy View Post
    I bought one of these a couple of months ago, the first focal plane is very good, and the lense let's in a lot of light you can shoot right up until its properly dark. Only criticism a bit wieghty and no illuminated ret. Top quality kit.
    How "tight" are the clicks on the top turret, can they lets say, be easily "twiddled" or accidentally "knocked out of zero" ?
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I asked this same question a few months ago and was supplied with the same excellent recommendations (apart from MTC), I ended up with a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x50, which I have to admit is an excellent scope for what I payed for it secondhand off here, I wanted something that would sit on my Theoben Sirocco 2000 and only had a certain amount of clearance because of the fixed scope mounts, the Nikon fits with just a small amount of room before it would hit the main body (it's that close I can't get the lens cap on), I also love Bushnells and about six years ago picked up a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 (after reading how good they are) to replace my Legend but the Legend just had the edge, so sold the Nikon on to fund another project (like we do), I haven't tested it yet in the field as I've not had time to get out but I'm hoping it is just as good as the Legend (not that it's replacing it this time as the Legend is permanently mated to my Prosport) as it has the 50 front lens that should put it on a par, a no fuss scope with no silly extras I don't really need and hopefully the nice bright lenses I'm going to need.

Pete
    Thanks, be nice to know how you get on with it !
    “An airgun or two”………

How "tight" are the clicks on the top turret, can they lets say, be easily "twiddled" or accidentally "knocked out of zero" ?
    The clicks are very positive, the new turret is superb with easy to read markings and numbered all the way for two full turns, once zeroed you simply undo the retaining screw and reset the turret to "0" on the scale, this way you know exactly what you are dialling and where "0" is.

One of the tests that most lower price scopes fail is a box test where you zero the scope, fire a shot at 10yds then proceed to adjust up 1 turn, shoot, over 1 turn , shoot until you have a centre poi and a box of poi's round it, when the scope is back to where you started the next shot should go straight in the same hole as the first one and any adjustment duplicating your original box test should put the pellets in the same place, you would be amazed how many scopes fail miserably at this test ending with a different poi.

All the Falcons I have box tested have passed, they are a little heavier than some scopes but on the whole they live with a springer without losing zero or breaking!

Thats helpful, thanks AB !
    “An airgun or two”………

Well so far, likely contenders are;
    (Uttings prices)
    Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40AO £260.
    Nikon Pro Staff EFR 3-9x40AO £160.
    Falcon Optics M18 4-18x44 SFP 30mm Tube £200.
    Sightron SIH 4-12x40AO HFT Mil-Dot £260. (Not Uttings)

Note, I already have the Nikon mounted on a SFS Brum Longbow so I'm aware of its capabilities.
    The Vortex is above my stated budget but I've seen one and I like it !
    The Falcon sounds nice but I've never had a Falcon scope so that one's a mystery to me but it looks impressive !
    All are Adjustable Objective apart from the Falcon.

I should add, apart from all the obvious requirements, the scope will be used on spring and gas ram air rifles and MUST be able to hold zero !
    Last edited by Blackrider; 28-04-2017 at 07:19 PM.
    “An airgun or two”………